Menu

Forums - Reviews and Articles

War Pygmalion - Black Sabbath's 'Master of Reality'

•  PetePete
    • Add your comments here!
    •  mambamamba
    • I enjoyed that read.
    •  PetePete
    • I remember hearing it for the first time, when in my teens. I felt like I'd heard it many times before. It took me a while to realise it was because so many people have copied it's blueprint in varying forms of metal. This isn't uncommon in genre-beginning albums like this, but this album like no other has been aped so blatantly and unashamedly - the Children of the Grave riff especially has been used over and over again. Not that I mind.

[Edited by Pete at 11:12 on 18/07/12]
    •  bosskeloidbosskeloid
    • Brilliant and glad as this is a beast of an album..

my favorite line in this piece: 'Take note every stoner band since; Sabbath drew the blueprint for a genre in 34 and a half minutes. Your well meaning tribute that does nothing to advance said genre does not need to be an hour long'

I agree 100%!!!
    •  Big SiBig Si
    • Is it wrong that I don't think it's as much fun when Gareth likes the album and nobody gets angry? I've clearly spent too much time on the Guardian comments section lately.

I've also only just discovered I can get on here at work. Stand by.
    •  LaddethLaddeth
    • Into the Void just reminds me of Throne.
      Das ist win.
    •  mikemike
    • Such a good album, been enjoying the BBC4 Sabbath stuff, God Bless Ozzy Osbourne bought a tear to my eye seeing Randy Rhoades talking about his playing just before he died, seems like him and Ozzy were best mates.

I'd extend the 'first four' debate to include SBS and Sabotage! too, some absolute beasts on those albums too. Everything after I tend to ignore.
    •  Big SiBig Si
    • I agree - it should be a first six. I can't see any great difference in quality between Volume IV and SBS or Sabbotage. Although I do think there's a certain stylistic difference that comes in after MoR, the later albums lack the rawness of the first three.
      So either first 3 or first 6, 4 seems a bit arbitrary.
    •  LimbBobLimbBob
    • Meh. Not as good as Dehumanizer.

I know we all agree.

Actually I said that and realised I still quite like Dehumanizer (Though no where near as much), You can't joke about Sabbath.
    •  GarethGareth
    • Big Si says:

I think it's because over the years, everyone seemed to talk about the first 4 so I assumed (possibly wrongly) whatever followed wasn't up to the same standard, whereas most Zeppelin fans will recommend anything up to 'Physical Graffiti'. I do admit few would name 'Houses of the Holy'.

If you asked someone to recommend a Sabbath album I doubt they'd name anything after 'Vol 4'. I think this is the one Ben recommended in the pub but I was quite drunk and spilled a half pint of beer on his crotch shortly after the conversation.

Thankfully Spotify seems to have most of the early stuff so I can fill in some gaps.
    •  mikemike
    • Symptom of the Universe is my fave Sabbath song and thats on a later one. You get some weird stuff which actually works on the later ones too, see 'A National Acrobat' and 'Spiral Architect' oh and 'Hole in the Sky' which is about as apocolyptic a song as 'Black Sabbath' I reckon.
    •  Big SiBig Si
    • I'm going to be needlessly controversial and say I don't really like Vol 4 that much.
    •  HopkinsHopkins
    • Big Si says:
      I'm going to be needlessly controversial and say I don't really like Vol 4 that much.

'changes' is a big massive turd

i don't own, or have ever listened to, any black sabbath album released after sabotage
    •  basstardbasstard
    • Love the first 6 and cherry pick bits from subsequent albums.
      I seem to change my fave Sabbath album on a regular basis- at the moment its Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, mostly due to the title track and its orgasmic key change, one of my all-time top musical moments.
    •  sabbathfansabbathfan
    • Gareth says:
      Big Si says:

I think it's because over the years, everyone seemed to talk about the first 4 so I assumed (possibly wrongly) whatever followed wasn't up to the same standard, whereas most Zeppelin fans will recommend anything up to 'Physical Graffiti'. I do admit few would name 'Houses of the Holy'.

If you asked someone to recommend a Sabbath album I doubt they'd name anything after 'Vol 4'. I think this is the one Ben recommended in the pub but I was quite drunk and spilled a half pint of beer on his crotch shortly after the conversation.

Thankfully Spotify seems to have most of the early stuff so I can fill in some gaps.

The first 6 Sabbath albums are classics, and I can't recommend Sabotage enough - it's a very gloomy album, and there's a very raw edge to it. They made it while completely strung out on coke after finding out their management had ripped them off royally for years, so there's an absolute wild anger to it that is pretty frightening.

My favourite Sabbath album changes around; having said that I've always thought the debut's historical importance outweighed the actual music within somewhat - it's good but there's a noticeable step up to the next record.
      [Edited by sabbathfan at 09:30 on 19/07/12]
    •  GarethGareth
    • Big Si says:
      I'm going to be needlessly controversial and say I don't really like Vol 4 that much.

I bought Vol 4 a couple of years ago and wasn't impressed. As it was my first Sabbath album it left the impression I hadn't been missing out. Turns out I should have selected more carefully.
    •  MazzMazz
    • "Led Zeppelin didn't make an album that wasn't a start to finish classic until 'Presence', their 7th"

HEY PAL..WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT..PRESENCE FUCKING ROCKS...24/7
    •  HopkinsHopkins
    • houses of the holy had 2 absolute stinkers on it, in the shape of d'yer mak'er and the clunge
    •  GarethGareth
    • Hopkins says:
      d'yer mak'er

I refuse to acknowledge that songs existence.
    •  MazzMazz
    • Gareth says:
      Hopkins says:
      d'yer mak'er

I refuse to acknowledge that songs existence.

It's their strongest work.

Forums - Reviews and Articles - War Pygmalion - Black Sabbath's 'Master of Reality'