Menu

Forums - General Chat

Liverpool.. what not to miss??

•  ms tinnitusms tinnitus
    • I'm off to Liverpool for the very first time (shocking I know) tomorrow, and back Sunday night. I'll be with some locals, but is there anything you lovely people who have had lovely times in Liverpool suggest I see and what not to miss?

I'm going to the football on Saturday afternoon, Sat evening is pretty free so far and Sunday is set aside for seeing things.
    •  OllieOllie
    • ms tinnitus says:
      I'm off to Liverpool for the very first time (shocking I know) tomorrow, and back Sunday night. I'll be with some locals, but is there anything you lovely people who have had lovely times in Liverpool suggest I see and what not to miss?

I'm going to the football on Saturday afternoon, Sat evening is pretty free so far and Sunday is set aside for seeing things.

I would suggest not missing the train home!!!
    •  DonnyDonny
    • Ship and mitre pub. Real ale, quite nice too.

Do not go to a terrible indie club full of awkward teenage geeks. Especially not on a stag weekend.
    •  OllieOllie
    • See if you can spend the weekend avoiding anywhere that mentions the Beatles.
    •  Rob HimselfRob Himself
    • I like Liverpool. But Scouse accents are the most grating in Britain. The worst are the mongrel Scouse-in-exile further up the Mersey in Warrington and Widnes. Yuck.
    •  alanalan
    • I like the Maritime Museum at the Albert Dock, shame you just missed Picasso at the Tate.
    • alan says:
      I like the Maritime Museum at the Albert Dock, shame you just missed Picasso at the Tate.

:( I love Picasso!

Where's good to have a nice (cheapish) dinner on Saturday night Alan?
    •  OllieOllie
    • ms tinnitus says:
      alan says:
      I like the Maritime Museum at the Albert Dock, shame you just missed Picasso at the Tate.

KFC
    • Ollie says:
      ms tinnitus says:
      alan says:

no no no! I want to hear about this little gem of a place where you get the BEST fish and chips for £4.50!

KFC
    •  JackJack
    • Rob Himself says:
      I like Liverpool. But Scouse accents are the most grating in Britain. The worst are the mongrel Scouse-in-exile further up the Mersey in Warrington and Widnes. Yuck.

I quite like a scouse accent on a girl
    •  DonnyDonny
    • Jack says:
      Rob Himself says:
      I like Liverpool. But Scouse accents are the most grating in Britain. The worst are the mongrel Scouse-in-exile further up the Mersey in Warrington and Widnes. Yuck.

Me too. Sounds dirrrrty
    •  bad admiralbad admiral
    • Donny says:
      Jack says:
      Rob Himself says:

Me too. Sounds dirrrrty

me three...crotch rocket approve of filthy scouse girls
    •  JackJack
    • :) Its cute and filthy
    •  PetePete
    • Scouse is my favourite accent.

I'd recommend going to both cathedrals - they're amazing.

Food-wise, when I went last I went to a vegetarian place called The Egg, on the 2nd floor above some shops. It was really nice with great food and a nice atmosphere. I've found it here on the brilliantly titled scouseveg.co.uk.

Saying that, the reviews on there are mixed... I particularly like the one which says "its always full of goths nursing a cup of tea for 4 hours" - which reminds me of the old cafe at the top of Afflecks Palace back in the 90s, if anyone knows what I'm on about...

Other than that there's nice cafes on Albert Dock but they are very expensive.

Are you going to see Liverpool or Everton?
    •  JenTheHenJenTheHen
    • I used to have a massive thing for chaps with a scouse accent. I still appreciate it, but it's less obsessive now.

Not been to the 'pool for ages. The Tate is always worth a visit.
    •  pull-my-plonkerpull-my-plonker
    • Pete says:

Saying that, the reviews on there are mixed... I particularly like the one which says "its always full of goths nursing a cup of tea for 4 hours" - which reminds me of the old cafe at the top of Afflecks Palace back in the 90s, if anyone knows what I'm on about...

It's still there. And still depressing.

Scouse is pretty filthy, butalways makes me imagine Steven Gerrard slurring "errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrm, melted cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeese!!"
    • cheers everyone.

had a really nice time. Was really impressed with how few people there were around - which made viewing the cathedrals and strolling around the docks at sunset a pleasant experience.

I also really enjoyed spending time in the bombed out cathedral.

Found a Japanese place with very good sushi, and was very happy to buy a round a drinks comprising of 5 x g&t's and 1 x pint and get change from £10... (OK it was at a pub near the ground, so not in town, but geesh, change from a tenner!!)

Pete, went to watch Liverpool, and was sat in the Kop!
    •  alanalan
    • I need to check out that cathedral, even walked past it on Saturday night. Twice I think.

Where was the sushi place? I'm still in need of finding good eateries and drinkeries up there.
    • alan says:
      I need to check out that cathedral, even walked past it on Saturday night. Twice I think.

Where was the sushi place? I'm still in need of finding good eateries and drinkeries up there.

oh most def check out the bombed cathedral!

The Japanese restaurant is called Etsu, think it was Strand St, and you need to book as it's tiny and popular.

Forums - General Chat - Liverpool.. what not to miss??