Menu
    •  JackJack
    • I had a test at work recently to see how my hearing is as we work a lot at festivals gigs etc I've been going to gigs since I was about 15 I guess and playing in bands pretty constantly from when I was 17-18, I'm 26 now.
      I've never really had much luck with ear plugs for playing with, the problem being that I can never quite hear the guitar clearly enough to play well. I've tried some off the rubber ear plugs with filters which over the last year or so I've used when attending gigs, that works really well.
      Playing wise I've had to keep playing without ear plugs, silly but basically I can't play with them in. Luckily I'm getting some proper molded plugs through work with decent filters in so I should be able to wear those and play properly finally.
      Anyways the point is don't do what I've been doing as my hearing test has shown that I have a mild hearing impairment in my left ear, probably due to noise exposure. My left ear hears much worse than my right. So my advice is always wear earplugs!
    •  PodgePodge
    • I've been preaching this for years
    •  Big SiBig Si
    • I have come round to this view in recent years, especially since I found the £4 flight ear plugs from Boots do a grand job for my needs. Probably wouldn't suit a guitarist so well, admittedly, but they let a lot more mid range through than the cheap foam ones. Just as good as the ones Elacin charge £10+ for, anyway. But clearly not as good as their £100 super jobbies.
    •  JackJack
    • Its a lot of money to spend on earplugs for most need but luckily paid for by work otherwise I wouldnt have got them for a while. I think the problem is that I play a lot of lead so its lots of high end frequencies, especially with the wah pedal etc and I just can't hear that with foam or rubber plugs in. Playing riffs isnt so bad. I'll report back on how I get on with the moulded earplugs but going on what Chris has said about drumming with them in they sound perfect
    •  OllieOllie
    • The problem I've always had when using earplugs, usually the foam ones, is when I sing. As soon as I start singing with them in it blocks the music out completely...like putting your fingers in your ears then talking...it just seems louder. These posh expensive ones, will they have the same effect or do they allow vocalists to still hear the music?
    •  JackJack
    • I believe it's supposed to be closer to just turning the volume down, so you hear all the frequencies just lower in volume and safe
    •  GarethGareth
    • I'm a fan of the cheapish Elacin ones, the Boots plugs hurt my ears after a couple of hours. My singing is always drowned out anyway, plus I'm crap at singing so it's not worth the massive investment for some super ones.

But yeah, always wear earplugs.
    •  pull-my-plonkerpull-my-plonker
    • Sounds like good advice.

I've always meant to get some ear plugs but never got round to it....
    •  Big SiBig Si
    • Ollie says:
      The problem I've always had when using earplugs, usually the foam ones, is when I sing. As soon as I start singing with them in it blocks the music out completely...like putting your fingers in your ears then talking...it just seems louder. These posh expensive ones, will they have the same effect or do they allow vocalists to still hear the music?

I think you'll always suffer with that, however much you spend. Unless you really go to town and get some super expensive moulded in-ear monitors. That, or just get used to the weird volume issues. I managed ok in Flatlands, but then I wasn't really concerned about tunefulness...
    •  JackJack
    • One tip I heard is to put the earplugs in way before you play, then you adjust to hearing with them and can hear much more when playing. I've yet to try
    •  alanalan
    • Remember kids, always wear protection. You don't wanna get (hearing) aids. ;)
    •  HopkinsHopkins
    • alan says:
      Remember kids, always wear protection. You don't wanna get (hearing) aids. ;)

eh?
    •  JackJack
    • I wonder if mine is hearing aids
    •  alanalan
    • Hopkins says:
      alan says:

eh?

AIDS. Hearing aids. Protection. Gaaaahh...
    •  WickedWesticleWickedWesticle
    • I'd save and get the moulded ones or get those plastice christmas tree shaped ones (Elacin ER 15 or something like that). You can't really describe how good the moulded ones are until you try them and you can't try before you buy.

They literally are likey turning the volume down a bit.
    •  bad admiralbad admiral
    • i wear foam ones and they fall out quite a bit. i have long hair and little ears so it's pretty much cool anyway.
    •  HopkinsHopkins
    • alan says:
      Hopkins says:
      alan says:

eh?

i was pretending to be deaf
    •  JackJack
    • Hopkins says:
      alan says:
      Hopkins says:
      alan says:

eh?

i was pretending to be deaf

What?
    •  JackJack
    • Earplugs have arrived, can test them out at a gig and a practice this week, then use them on tour, good timing
    •  Tim HolehouseTim Holehouse
    • Are those the ones with the filters... I'm tempted to get some of them.

Forums - Music Discussion and Promotion - Hearing protection