Menu

Forums - General Chat

Announcement: The times they are a changin'

•  mikemike
    • Hello all, some of you may have noticed that things have perked up a bit on here, this is due to a revival of 9hz, a comeback if you will, but not with session musicans, this is the original lineup, albeit slightly rearranged.

I've taken over from Pete as managing the reviews etc as Editor in Chief, a title I take with honour from Pete who has done a stellar job over the years. Recently, I'd say the last few years however, we as a team have let 9hz slip in terms of content and we've had no real direction to speak of.

This is nobody's fault, lives have changed and we've all been very busy since we started in 2004. Ben and Amy continue to maintain the site, so big thanks to them and Carey and Pete are still beavering away in the background, which I'm really grateful for. Hopefully we will be redesigning the website soon, so expect to see some real change here soon. In the meantime, you can actually access 9hz more easily on your smartphone, so cheers to Amy for sorting that too.

You'll notice that reviews in particular have received a major shot in the arm, I'll now be writing the majority myself, but I do need a solid team of reviewers who can promise a decent rate of reviews. I have plenty of material flooding in to write about so get in touch if you want to contribute.
      We will still be accepting ad-hoc reviews submitted in the usual way (use the link to the right on the forum) but cannot promise everything will be used, we also are stressing it must be 9hz-exclusive from now on, nothing submitted should appear anywhere else, equally, it'd be nice, but not a rule if you wrote reviews for us exclusively too.

A major change is that we now cover everything alternative, while not stepping into populist territory, we will now be accepting noise, black metal, punk, hardcore, ambient and the avant garde as genres we cover. We know our readers and board members appreciate music from across the scale, so we want to embrace that fact.

Equally we want to start writing articles and publishing interviews. If any bands want to get in touch, we'll send you a list of standard questions, then follow it up with some specific ones too. Email editor@ninehertz.co.uk to be considered.

Also, keep submitting your live dates, we aim to have a pretty solid live date section to keep people up to date with what's happening.

We also have an active Facebook page and Twitter account we'd like you to follow and like, being maintained by the awesome Alex (Mamba).

Thanks for your continued support and I hope you will all join in to make this place as popular as it has been in the past and make it even more of a great site to visit in the future.
    •  HopkinsHopkins
    • *like*
    •  mikemike
    • Cheersmate.
    •  pull-my-plonkerpull-my-plonker
    • Nice one Mike, all sounds great! Happy to contribute some reviews and support the site in any other way that I can.
    •  mikemike
    • Cheers Pete, I'll be in touch.
    •  basstardbasstard
    • Good stuff- nice to see a load of new reviews. Best of luck.
    •  GarethGareth
    • Mike has asked me to write reviews more regularly so I'll be contributing more to the site from now on as well.
    •  MazzMazz
    • THE KING IS DEAD..LONG LIVE THE KING!
    •  mikemike
    • I'm going to be fervently reviewing like mad, but I do need some regular reviewers to get in touch, it's just me and Gareth at the moment, just one review a week would be amazing.
    •  basstardbasstard
    • I'd be happy to do some reviews
    •  mikemike
    • I'll forward you some stuff next week dude.
    •  Tino InsanaTino Insana
    • Is 9hz to be involved in anything local like it has been in the past? Or is it now just a totally open board with no local emphasis?

No problem either way, just I'm wanting to do a similar thing you mentioned in covering more of the heavy spectrum in Sheffield and the surrounding areas, under the banner of Leeech Presents. If you want any kind of interaction between 9hz and Leeech, and possibly Jay as well if he's putting more stuff on, shoot me a message and we'll get things moving forward!
    •  RamoRamo
    • I'd be happy to chip in with some reviews/interviews etc.
    •  mikemike
    • Tino Insana says:
      Is 9hz to be involved in anything local like it has been in the past? Or is it now just a totally open board with no local emphasis?

No problem either way, just I'm wanting to do a similar thing you mentioned in covering more of the heavy spectrum in Sheffield and the surrounding areas, under the banner of Leeech Presents. If you want any kind of interaction between 9hz and Leeech, and possibly Jay as well if he's putting more stuff on, shoot me a message and we'll get things moving forward!

Do you mean as far as gigs are concerned? So far, the plan is to become known as a place to come for reviews and interviews, of which we are stepping up now regardless of genre, as long as it's something that would appeal to the creative and heavy end of the spectrum, stoner rock and doom is still a main part, but we intend to cover all genres if we think it merits a listen, or even if it doesn't.

With gigs, we'll happily help promote them, but will be possibly doing the occasional show when we have time, we don't want to step on your, Jay's or anyone elses toes, it's a small city to do gigs in, so we'd want the best for everyone. We are happy to lend out name to any promotion of gigs/festivals nationwide, the more the merrier!
    •  mikemike
    • Ramo says:
      I'd be happy to chip in with some reviews/interviews etc.

Sounds good to me, I can forward you some stuff tomorrow.

•  mikemike
    • Thanks to our small army of reviewers and some hard work, we're up to 103 new reviews since we decided to give 9hz the boot up the arse it needed (Stubb album was #100!) just want to say cheers to everyone so far who has helped, but we could always do with more.

Also, bands, keep sending new stuff in, we love hearing new bands as well as old friends/faves.
    •  sabbathfansabbathfan
    • I've possibly got a couple of reviews lined up in the next few weeks but I don't know how to submit pictures to go along with them [which apparently is a requirement now?]. I've got no clue on uploading album art/live band photos.........
    •  PodgePodge
    • I think you just email them to mike.
    •  sabbathfansabbathfan
    • Oh, OK, will do that then.
    •  mikemike
    • That's right Sam, editor@ninehertz.co.uk

Forums - General Chat - Announcement: The times they are a changin'