Menu

Forums - General Chat

At the Movies

•  basstardbasstard
    • AKA The film buff's thread. What you been watching?

Just watched The Big Lebowski for the umpteenth time. I love it.
    •  RamoRamo
    • All the Jaws films; original is best followed by 2 then 4, 3 is a piece of slowly rotting leg-lumber in no danger of being eaten by any nearby 3-D sharks, probably due to their preference of shattering nearby windows whilst swimming backwards at an incredibly slow speed..

The Re-Animator trilogy, best thing i've seen in a long time, wish i'd seen this at 15 as it would've solidified itself as my favourite movie of all time by now. The bride of re-animator is especially brilliant and the third one has it's moments though is a bordering on cash-in territory.

Repo-man, re-watched after forgetting how ace this movie is, saw it in the GFT recently, was very cool to see it on the big screen, the car glowed immensely in the projected image. As Rob would say, poor old Emilio, what happened mate? Brilliant cast and script all round,

Carnages, meandering french/spanish journey into the nuances and coincidences rising from a bull-fighting ring. A bit of sharp black humour and clever writing made for a good watch.

The Tingler Saw this weird 50's horror starring vincent price in the cinema as part of the film fest the other day, the first film ever to feature an acid trip. Also it's screened using "Percepto" a state of the art (in the 50's) audience interaction technique which basically resulted in alot of screaming and a few skeletons falling from the ceiling, albeit a few drinks in the pub beforehand made for a rockin friday night!

Repulsion 60's Polanski movie i saw with the missus on BBC iplayer starring french beauty catherine deneuve (sp?) as a sexually tormented girl in the heart of london, bit tense but worth a watch, cinematography is brilliant.

Watch-list:
      Hidden - french thriller, looks nae bad
      Fidel - some 3 hour epic about castro i got in a £1 shop, gael garcia bernal makes an appearance as post motorcycle diaries che guevara
      The Heart is deceitful above all things - Directed by and starring the lovely Asia Argento
      Last Days - Cobain snuffs it
    •  MazzMazz
    • At the pictures on sunday, The Kings Speech 6/10.

At the pictures the sunday before, Black Swan 7/10.

I also went to athe ballet on Friday night and to the Roman Baths on Sunday, I know these are not films but I wanted to appear like a cultured cunt.
    •  bad admiralbad admiral
    • ghost rider watched on friday or saturday 8/10
    •  basstardbasstard
    • Ramo says:

Repo-man,

The Tingler

Repulsion .

Repo Man is fantastic. I never get sick of it; eminently quotable dialogue and one of the best soundtracks you'll ever hear.

I saw The Tingler late one night on BBC2 many years ago. Pretty trippy.

Repulsion is great, especially the scene with all the arms coming out of the walls. You can't go wrong with the early Polanski films (or Catherine Deneuve).

Hope you enjoy Hidden; it was a bit slower than I was expecting but very well done.
      [Edited by Pete at 12:23 on 23/02/11]
    •  FDFCFDFC
    • I watched Total Recall again the other day. It's timeless.
    •  basstardbasstard
    • Sexy Beast- another fave of mine; excellent performances all round and a good bout of swearing Olympics. 9/10
    •  OllieOllie
    • basstard says:
      Ramo says:

Repo-man,

The Tingler

Repulsion .

Repo Man is fantastic. I never get sick of it; eminently quotable dialogue and one of the best soundtracks you'll ever hear.

I saw The Tingler late one night on BBC2 many years ago. Pretty trippy.

Repulsion is great, especially the scene with all the arms coming out of the walls. You can't go wrong with the early Polanski films (or Catherine Deneuve).

Hope you enjoy Hidden; it was a bit slower than I was expecting but very well done.

Catherine Deneuve is possibly the most beautiful woman ever!!!

I had a bit of a Simon Pegg/Nick Frost session and did Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz back to back.
    •  alanalan
    • Tino Insana says:
      "A big bushy beard!"

I only ever use that phrase in that accent to describe a large beard.
    •  OllieOllie
    • If you want to be a big copper in a small town fuck off up the model village!!!
    •  Tino InsanaTino Insana
    • alan says:
      Tino Insana says:
      "A big bushy beard!"

I only ever use that phrase in that accent to describe a large beard.

Yep, I'd think it was weird if not done in that accent now.
    •  pull-my-plonkerpull-my-plonker
    • Good films I've seen lately:

Brick

The Dead Poet's Society

Munich
    •  JackJack
    • Gran Torino was good, it has Clint in it, therefore is good
    •  alanalan
    • Jack says:
      Gran Torino was good, it has Clint in it, therefore is good

Yes, very good. Nice car too.
    •  basstardbasstard
    • Bully- it was on Film 4 last night.

Not very impressed; another snapshot of amoral fucked up yank teens who decide to take out the spoit shithead leader (i.e. Bully) of their gang. 6/10
    •  FDFCFDFC
    • Saw True Grit last night. Was fucking awesome. Everybody channeled Lee Marvin and you couldn't understand a word that was being said.

Brilliant.
    •  basstardbasstard
    • FDFC says:
      Saw True Grit last night. Was fucking awesome. Everybody channeled Lee Marvin and you couldn't understand a word that was being said.

Brilliant.

Yeah, definitely want to see that.
      Should be going to the flicks on Tuesday; it'll either be True Grit or Animal Kingdom which also looks ace.
    •  pull-my-plonkerpull-my-plonker
    • FDFC says:
      Saw True Grit last night. Was fucking awesome. Everybody channeled Lee Marvin and you couldn't understand a word that was being said.

Brilliant.

Sounds good, I'm in.
    •  GarethGareth
    • FDFC says:

Brilliant.

Saw it last week, enjoyed it a lot but not as much as I was hoping. I'll re-watch it when it comes out on DVD, Coen bros films often get better after the 1st viewing.

Brink is indeed great, might stick it on now while I have dinner!

Forums - General Chat - At the Movies