Menu
    •  HopkinsHopkins
    • is this any good?

just want something to get to work and back for cheap dollar
    •  JackJack
    • I'd look for something with 26" wheels, things like inner tubes and tyres will be easier to get hold of. Also avoid cheap frames with rear suspension, it doesnt work properly like a real shock would, better off with a rigid frame, it'll last longer and be way more effective when pedalling.

Whats your budget and what do you want to use the bike for?

ps. please do not buy that bike on ebay, you'll break it in around a week of riding and it'll be wasted cash
    •  HopkinsHopkins
    • cheers jack
      just gonna be using it on pavements and road to get to work and back
      nothing fancy needed for off-roading and all that
      which is why i was looking for something dirt cheap to get from A to B and back again
    •  JackJack
    • Pick up something with a rigid frame and if your using it on the road rigid forks will be ok too, if possible look for Shimano or Schram gears. Have a look for some of these makes, you might pick up a cheap basic model second hand. Some of the new ones in the basic ranges for £300 ish, so secondhand wouldnt be mental prices:

Specialized
      Trek
      Giant
      Orange

I'll think of some more later.

A lot of the cheaper bikes put things like disk brakes, suspension etc on there to entice you but really they are kind of compromised versions of the real thing. You'd get more bang for buck spending the same money on a bike that is no frills but has decent components. Good v brakes for example are better than cheap cable operated disk brakes any day and much cheaper for pads etc.
    •  JackJack
    • Hard rocks are nice solid simple mountain bikes

Or this
    •  WickedWesticleWickedWesticle
    • I had a Hardrock. It was awesome.
    •  mambamamba
    • I have a Hardrock. It lives in my kitchen and doesn't move.
    •  MazzMazz
    • mamba says:
      I have a Hardrock. It lives in my kitchen and doesn't move.

Laura got a juicer for her Birthday. I imagine it won’t move much.
    •  PodgePodge
    • Jack Dickinson says:
      or Schram gears
      You'd probably be better off with SRAM since Schram is a made up name.

Jack has a point but also has a 10 fold price hike. anything with smaller than 26" (Mountainbike) or 700c (Road bike) wheels will be too small for you. if its just for work and back any crap bag of a bike will do so i'd suggest something like THIS or THIS

Suspension will make the bike heavier and probably wont work but that's not to say don't get one, its just that the heavier the bike the harder work it'll be when pedalling. my town bike weighs nothing because it has 1 gear and 1 brake. this means its fast and its really easy to pedal, it also means there is nob all for anyone to steal and nob all to go wrong but it also cost me about £150

also, whatever you end up getting, look for some cheap slick tyres and pump them up to the max, it makes a HUGE difference
    •  Big SiBig Si
    • Yeah, it means your balls get destroyed riding on a bumpy road.
    •  rlucas666rlucas666
    • Aha, I'll have to bookmark this thread as the trains between Nottingham and Beeston every day might have finally pissed me off enough to start riding to work and back.

My requirements are pretty much the same as Madame Kaye's. Erm... add a couple of inches to the height of the rider though... and about six stone in weight.
    •  HopkinsHopkins
    • cheers guys

taking all that into account, how's this
    •  JackJack
    • bang on, if you get that cheap
    •  PodgePodge
    • Jack Dickinson says:
      bang on, if you get that cheap

yeah thats exactly what you are after.
    •  HopkinsHopkins
    • i have a bike, not that one off ebay unfortunately

tips on giving it a service please, it needs tlc as frame is rusty in places and gears, chain and all that need a thorough seeing to
    •  Big SiBig Si
    • Buy Podge a pint and wait for results.

That might not work so well for people who don't share a house with him.
    •  PodgePodge
    • Hopkins says:
      i have a bike, not that one off ebay unfortunately

tips on giving it a service please, it needs tlc as frame is rusty in places and gears, chain and all that need a thorough seeing to

kinda depends on what you have and how much you want to spend on it in time and money. you could spend £50 getting a front mech to work but then if you don't use it, there is no bother.

i wouldn't worry about the frame being rusty, its just cosmetic. as for the rest of it, a good can of wd40 or similar should get you sorted.
    •  HopkinsHopkins
    • best place online to get parts and spares?
      i'm assuming halfords rip you off
    •  JackJack
    • Chain reaction

Wiggle

Forums - General Chat - bikes