Menu

Forums - General Chat

who likes bruce springsteen here?

•  CareyCarey
    • durose loves a bit of him. i don't mind him, i probably couldn't name a proper song though.
    •  mambamamba
    • I love the latest album, probably more so than the 'classics'.
    •  Tim HolehouseTim Holehouse
    • Radio Nowhere is a fucking tune!

Carey that's cause Cat's class mate... ok born in the USA must have heard that, dancers in the dark,streets of phillidephia, born to run... ah the man's a legend...

Guess what I've been listening to mostly this week... ha ha! At my folks... mum's got a lot of the boss's material... good times.
    •  MatthewRedStarsMatthewRedStars
    • yep. look at my avatar.

best record ever.
    •  mambamamba
    • MatthewRedStars says:

yep. look at my avatar.

best record ever.

Ain't got that one. Will check it out.
    •  rustyspoonrustyspoon
    • Don't mind a bit of The Boss.
    •  drewmillwarddrewmillward
    • I love Springsteen. Possibly a little too much.
      I'm going seeing hime in a few weeks in Manchester, and frankly i can hardly contain my excitement.
    • I also desperately want to do a cover of 'Lost in the Flood'.
    •  J ParkerJ Parker
    • Yes to

Nebraska
      Darkness on the Edge of Town
      Born to Run
    •  JenTheHenJenTheHen
    • The boss is where it's at. Fact. Well done Tim.
    •  bluseychrisbluseychris
    • 70s stuff was good, 80s could get a bit over sugarised for the pop market. 90s was ok, post 2001 has been better.

I love Magic, brilliant album.
    •  OllieOllie
    • I'm not sure, what would be a good album to start with...bearing in mind my dad had Born in the ISA (or whatever it's called) and I didn't like it. Think my dad may have Born to Run but I've not heard it.
    •  J ParkerJ Parker
    • Do you like really introspective melancholy acoustic? Then Badlands, maybe something a bit more rocking but also shot through with eternal mournfulness for broken dreams, Darkness on the Edge of Town.

I personally think it doesnt get better than Born to Run but I am a sucker for the grandiose
    •  OllieOllie
    • I can handle grandiose so may give Born to Run a try...I love the title track. Wasn't Darkness on the Edge of Town the one he did that was around the time of punk so he picked up a bit of an influence there?
    •  J ParkerJ Parker
    • Yeah I think it was about 1976 and its quite rough and ready musically so a little bit, vocals also 'quite' raw. My personal fave tune is Jungleland off Born to Run - totally overblown but it's amazing
    •  MatthewRedStarsMatthewRedStars
    • Born To Run is perfect, Nebraska is too but has the element of none Bruce fans feeling cool to it. All the others are good but not gold.

I'm a total cheerleader for Greeting From Asbury Park.... it's his first LP (1973?) and is amazing, it has a Dylan stream of lyrical conciousness thing that he total pared down on later albums, amazing twisted tales and incredible lyrics.

I still maintain he lost his innocence after this record and never got as adventurous as this again.

The rock tunes rock and the ballads fully rape my heart.

AWESOME!
    •  mambamamba
    • Downloaded it last night. It's on my ipod ready for playing. Sounds perfect for my stroll home through the park tonight.
    • MatthewRedStars says:

Born To Run is perfect, Nebraska is too but has the element of none Bruce fans feeling cool to it. All the others are good but not gold.

I'm a total cheerleader for Greeting From Asbury Park.... it's his first LP (1973?) and is amazing, it has a Dylan stream of lyrical conciousness thing that he total pared down on later albums, amazing twisted tales and incredible lyrics.

I still maintain he lost his innocence after this record and never got as adventurous as this again.

The rock tunes rock and the ballads fully rape my heart.

AWESOME!

This is totally true.
      I sort of overlooked it for some time, in favour of 'Born to Run' and 'Darkness...', but in all honesty there isn't a weak moment on 'Greetings..'. Lyrically and musically it is a totaly masterpiece, it also contains possibly my two favorite Springsteen tunes 'Growing Up' and 'Lost in the Flood'.

Forums - General Chat - who likes bruce springsteen here?