Menu

Forums - General Chat

Reading

•  Th@ GuyTh@ Guy
    • I once went to Reading festival.... its a lie... i didnt see one book!

but seriously anyone reading anything good at the moment? novel, magazine, recipe, ingredients, this forum.... etc

Im about 1/8th of the way through Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace and its none too shabby.....so far
    •  noonenoone
    • all my books are packed into boxes ready to move but I kept a couple aside.
      I've just started London Orbital by Iain Sinclair and then I want to tackle Landors Tower by the same author.
    •  bad admiralbad admiral
    • american hardcore by steven blush which is a fair and even handed assessment of the movement on both coasts.

then on to something about anarcho crust, the name of which escapes me...

also some magazine from some parisian boutique hotel about shoes.

arrived on the doorstep...i kind of read it. s'ok...
    •  MazzMazz
    • Revelation - CJ Sansom.

Tudor Hunch back lawyer turns dedective.
    •  HopkinsHopkins
    • Books about MI5 and MI6
    •  noonenoone
    • bad admiral says:

american hardcore by steven blush which is a fair and even handed assessment of the movement on both coasts.

do you mean this?

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/517D949M65L._SS500_.jpg

I thought American Hardcore was Ok but it does read a bit too much like an Encyclopedia. The documentary film spawned from the book is pretty crap though.
    •  Wez TDJWez TDJ
    • I have just finished Bram Stoker's 'Dracula' which was excellent. Now starting 'Monkey' by Wu Ch'Eng-En.

Also flicking through Four Four Two, FHM, Nintendo Mag and Q!
    •  theadoretheadore
    • Mountain bike mags and cereal packets
    • ultimatekev says:

bad admiral says:

american hardcore by steven blush which is a fair and even handed assessment of the movement on both coasts.

do you mean this?

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/517D949M65L._SS500_.jpg

I thought American Hardcore was Ok but it does read a bit too much like an Encyclopedia. The documentary film spawned from the book is pretty crap though.

yes, i do mean that...i quite like the way american hardcore is set out. it's such an all encompassing and cross pollinating scene, to set it out as anything other than an encyclopedia would read like a russian novel.
    •  mikemike
    • "In Evil Hour" by Gabriel Garcia Marquez, goes well with the muggy heat we've been having!
    •  grinderno1grinderno1
    • as i said on another thread, i'm currently half way through Haunted by Palahniuk, i'm getting into it now.

before that was Only Revolutions by Danielewski, which was awesome.

might get myself a Bukowski next. because he's (was) awesome.
    •  Rob HimselfRob Himself
    • I'm strolling in casually a decade late and reading the Harry Potter series after years of prodding.
    •  HopkinsHopkins
    • Rob Himself says:

I'm strolling in casually a decade late and reading the Harry Potter series after years of prodding.

make sure you get both the adult versions and the children's versions to check for differences in the text
    •  grinderno1grinderno1
    • Hopkins says:

Rob Himself says:

I'm strolling in casually a decade late and reading the Harry Potter series after years of prodding.

make sure you get both the adult versions and the children's versions to check for differences in the text

is one to assume you're pissing about...?

Rob: enjoy 'em mate, they're really fun books. it really winds mem up when people start going on about "for fucks sake your an adult and they're children's books!". a good book is a good book and they written well enough that it doesn't matter if you're 13 or 35.
    • grinderno1 says:

Hopkins says:

Rob Himself says:

is one to assume you're pissing about...?

Rob: enjoy 'em mate, they're really fun books. it really winds mem up when people start going on about "for fucks sake your an adult and they're children's books!". a good book is a good book and they written well enough that it doesn't matter if you're 13 or 35.

nope..there's grown up versions with different covers...
    •  JenTheHenJenTheHen
    • I am reading The Little Friend by Donna Tartt. I'm only a hundred or so pages in and it could go either way but it has potential.
    •  noonenoone
    • Bukowski is an overrated, drunk misogynist with a a clumsy writing style.

(But thats just, like, MY opinion man)

I feel the same about Kerouac as well.
    •  GarethGareth
    • ultimatekev says:

Bukowski is an overrated, drunk misogynist with a a clumsy writing style.

(But thats just, like, MY opinion man)

I feel the same about Kerouac as well.

Nope, my opinion too. 'On The Road' is as dull as fuck.

"First we went here and then we did this and my nan wired me some money and then we did this...." for 300 pages.
    •  LaddethLaddeth
    • I've not read a book in so long I've forgotten how to do it

Forums - General Chat - Reading