Menu

Forums - General Chat

My New Guitar Building plan

•  SheldonSheldon
    • Ok ive been thinking about it and on the side im going to start making aluminium neck guitars with wood bodies similar to the electrical guitar company series one

already talked about it with my engineering guitar building buddy and we are gonna start the drawings next month

it will be cnc machined but using top of the range hardware but it will be simple

the prototype will be fretless

im 100% serious i studied engineering and that was my project for my course but it never got made so it shall be done

likely cost including hardcase and delivery £1500

•  SheldonSheldon
    • That made n osense but you get the idea :-)
    •  PodgePodge
    • i wouldn't go for CNC necks, hella expensive and probably not a good enough finish.

you could probably get some custom tubing made up, though they may want a lot to set the machinery up which you wouldn't need if it was CNC.

anyway, nice idea. i wish i had access to all the machinery i need to build all of my crazy ideas, that would be well good.
    •  tom.atom.a
    • dude this sounds seriously interesting if you ever start making fretted ones i may well have to come check them out.
    •  PodgePodge
    • just curious, but what advantages does an aluminium neck have over a wood one?
    •  Matt_tgpgMatt_tgpg
    • I would think it would handle low tunings better?
    •  DonnyDonny
    • Podge says:

just curious, but what advantages does an aluminium neck have over a wood one?

There's an FAQ on that aluminium guitars site that explains it. All nonsense to me really. Though if they did an Iceman one I'd be all over it.
    •  SheldonSheldon
    • here are my answers to a few questions:

Yes CNC machining is expensive however it can produce a mirror finish on aluminium with the correct tool alot easier than by hand it is also alot more accurate and that is important with metal working

There will 100% be fretted ones i just feel like have a smooth fretless one myself plus the mirror finish on a long uninterrupted piece of metal will be damn sexy

Aluminium neck will have piano like sustain literally you can hold note on for a lond long time and do some beautiful post rock slides with minimum effort

Yes it probably can handle low tuning easily

The neck will not warp unless under insane temperature (although tuning can be effected)

It looks cool

In reality its non the best material for a guitar but it has a unique sound that some people like its a cult thing really :-)

Carbon fribre is the way to go perfect tone and balance

•  DonnyDonny
    • Sorry Sheldon, just read your post properly.

Do me an Iceman bass. For cheap.

Go on.
    •  SheldonSheldon
    • Ill defo think about it dude

first of all need to get this protoype done as seee how it goes its gonna take a few months to get the first one ready then future ones should be easier

rock and roll
    •  Tom PTom P
    • That sounds really cool. I always liked Travis Bean guitars but never had the scratch to get one, really expensive but damn cool
    •  HopkinsHopkins
    • CNC machines for the win

What model does your mate use? I work for SCM
    •  Rob SmithRob Smith
    • i'm suprised laddy hasn't had some sort of mention in this thread yet.

I'm interested in a super strat style fretless it you can price me something up in the distant future...
    •  SheldonSheldon
    • Hopkins says:

CNC machines for the win

Im not sure will have to check he has a large bed CNC router so that will be fine for the wooden body

however will have to get the neck sub contracted probably to a company called rhino engineering

•  SheldonSheldon
    • sounds like a plan

im really excited about the whole thing
    •  HopkinsHopkins
    • Sheldon says:

Hopkins says:

CNC machines for the win

Im not sure will have to check he has a large bed CNC router so that will be fine for the wooden body

I provide service and spare parts for those beasts for a living
    •  SheldonSheldon
    • Hopkins says:

Sheldon says:

Hopkins says:

CNC machines for the win

Im not sure on the model but he said it is a modified scm

i can take a picture if you like

I provide service and spare parts for those beasts for a living

•  HopkinsHopkins
    • I work for SCM
      If he ever needs stuff, point him in my direction
    •  SheldonSheldon
    • Hopkins says:

I work for SCM
      If he ever needs stuff, point him in my direction

yeah he asked for your contact details

pm me and ill pass them on