Menu

Forums - General Chat

GENERIC FORUM QUESTION - TOP 10

•  J ParkerJ Parker
    • Top 10 heavy bands?? Would be interesting!! How many times have we done this?? Only a couple! :)

No particular order

Black Sabbath
      YOB
      Pelican
      Kyuss
      Coalesce
      Bathory
      Electric Wizard
      Helmet
      Neurosis
      Torche

•  slack mammothslack mammoth
    • Heavy, like heaviest bands, or just heavy metal?
    •  J ParkerJ Parker
    • Heavy in terms of they sound heavy
    •  J ParkerJ Parker
    • Thats one band. Need nine more.
    •  Tino InsanaTino Insana
    • Wow, that is generic. I'm thinking that bands like Pentagram are heavy to me, yet they haven't got a supremely heavy production. Same with bands like Black Sabbath etc... too though. Maybe more like a heavy feeling? Fuck it, I don't know, just laugh at my choices later.

Black Sabbath
      Pentagram
      Trouble
      Asunder
      Agent of the Morai
      Acid King
      Crowbar
      Decapitated
      Eyehategod
      Lazarus Blackstar

I feel cheated with only ten choices, ya bitch!
    •  J ParkerJ Parker
    • Thats why its a test!!! Heavy feeling yes. Heavy metal possibly no, as the tinniest thrash probably wouldn't be described as heavy, whether Pentagram, even though 'quiet' still thumps you in the head. Get me?
    •  GrymGrym
    • Warhorse
      Buried At Sea
      Electric Wizard
      Bongzilla
      Church Of Misery
      Grief
      Khang/Lazarus Blackstar
      Goatsnake
      Weedeater
      Unsane
    •  Tino InsanaTino Insana
    • Yeah I get ya, that's what I thought. Something like Buried at Sea is really heavy sounding, but it still doesn't hit me as hard as Pentagram - the incredibly catchy stupid/awesome lyrics have a lot to do with it.

Grym - you just made me realise what bands I left out, that would almost be my second top 10
    •  rustyspoonrustyspoon
    • No particular order and of top of my head;

Eyehatgegod
      Coffins
      Pig Destroyer
      Iron Monkey
      Happy Face
      Nasum
      Graves at Sea
      Swans
      Electric Wizard
      Knut
    •  bad admiralbad admiral
    • eyehategod

iron monkey

venetian snares (anyone who says dance music can't be heavy can lick my balls. listen to some snares. than lick my balls again)

whitehouse/consumer electronics

manowar (in a non ironic fashion. gets me going.)

kid 606 (as snares)

pig destroyer

nick cave and the bad seeds (9 middle aged men in suits going some on 3 upright joannas is heavy in my book)

lambchop (not loud, but heavy as fuck. 9 middle aged men and a middle aged woman fucking going some with spanners and shit but really quietly)

death in june (heavy, as in, dense)
    •  PetePete
    • I've tried to think of some less than obvious choices (and to think of the live environment especially) so this may not be totally accurate, but...

Taint
      Bongzilla
      Entombed
      Toner Low
      Hey Colossus
      Kylesa
      Iron Monkey
      Suma
      Art of Burning Water
    •  MORRELLMORRELL
    • Off the top of my head and in no order.........

Burning Witch
      Shellac
      MOSS
      Black Sabbath
      Morbid Angel
      Earth
      Man is the Bastard
      Swans
      Corrupted
      Melvins
    •  J ParkerJ Parker
    • This last on made me think of Discharge for some reason. They need a mention, as do maybe Obituary.

Dance wise, anyone heard Burial? They/he are as heavy as 'dubstep' gets, I assume
    •  BenBen
    • Not heard any Burial yet, I think I'd like it tho. Personally the heaviest I've heard on a dance tip is either Technical Itch or Black Sun Empire. Probably Tech Itch now I think about it. Unless you count the comedy heaviness of Dillinja.
    •  rustyspoonrustyspoon
    • Burial is cool but very chiled out stuff, personally i wouldn't say overly heavy.

Venetian Snares is quality, put him together with speedranch and you got something heavy as in volume there!!

The Cinematic Orchestra should of made it onto my list really, especially from a live point of view, that can be some lumpy throat feelings.
    •  bad admiralbad admiral
    • J Parker says:

Dance wise, anyone heard Burial? They/he are as heavy as 'dubstep' gets, I assume

i just don't get dubstep. it all sounds like morcheeba records sped up a bit.

i also think that el-p and sage francis deserve a wee mention from a hip hop angle.

as does the rza.

oof!
    •  Tim HolehouseTim Holehouse
    • bad admiral says:

eyehategod

iron monkey

venetian snares (anyone who says dance music can't be heavy can lick my balls. listen to some snares. than lick my balls again)

whitehouse/consumer electronics

manowar (in a non ironic fashion. gets me going.)

kid 606 (as snares)

pig destroyer

nick cave and the bad seeds (9 middle aged men in suits going some on 3 upright joannas is heavy in my book)

lambchop (not loud, but heavy as fuck. 9 middle aged men and a middle aged woman fucking going some with spanners and shit but really quietly)

death in june (heavy, as in, dense)

Rich I think I love you... New Nick Cave albums fucking rocking... Warren ellis is also da man!
    •  Big SiBig Si
    • List thread! Wow!
      I'm sorry, but am I the only one who never reads these? Even if I post a list of my own, I'll barely scan all the others.
      Especially this. You'll get a couple of token interesting answers, then the same bands over and over.
      Sorry, I should probably start a separate thread debating the relative merits of list threads.

Forums - General Chat - GENERIC FORUM QUESTION - TOP 10