Menu
    •  Big SiBig Si
    • Yeah, you'll think that until you hear it. Imagine all the worst bits of those two things put together.
    •  sabbathfansabbathfan
    • Do you mean as in Shot In The Dark crossed with Tales From Topographic Oceans?
    •  Big SiBig Si
    • Nailed it, Sam.
    •  MazzMazz
    • I imagine that would be WILLIS's favourite album.
    •  J ParkerJ Parker
    • er I have come to an amnesty of sorts- I like the new album, it seems really honest and less contrived than the bits of BM and all of Leviathan...

BUT why leave the best 3 songs til the end!?
    •  cortezcortez
    • I actually like all of their albums. They've each built on the last while adding new elements. If I wan to hear some more brutal stuff, I'll put on Leviathan or Remission, if I want a bit more melody, I'll put on the two newer ones. Seems like they are doing what they want, no fault in that.
    •  WickedWesticleWickedWesticle
    • Just listened to the last 3 tracks. It definitley gets better but still doesn't do it for me. Doubt I'll listen to it again but I will check out the earlier stuff sometime.
    •  DonnyDonny
    • Mazz says:
      Big Si says:
      and decided it sounds like 80s Ozzy doing 70s prog.

WOW!

I second that WOW. I still need to check this out.
    •  alanalan
    • I gave it another listen last night. Still not exactly blown away, but I did go back and give a couple of tracks another listen, so can't be too bad.
    •  HopkinsHopkins
    • I like it, better than Blood Mountain, less silliness

Not a fan of some of the "singing" though
    •  EggyEggy
    • pretty much agree with that. The ozzy type singing takes some adjusting too.
    •  DonnyDonny
    • Listened to half of it this morning. I like what I heard up until 'The Czar' which is a over long and a bit of a stinker. Struggled to carry on after that one. Will give it another go and miss that one out.

Fairly prog tastic though!
    •  alanalan
    • Donny says:
      I like what I heard up until 'The Czar' which is a over long and a bit of a stinker. Struggled to carry on after that one. Will give it another go and miss that one out.

Weird, I think that might be my favourite track on there.
    •  DonnyDonny
    • alan says:
      Donny says:
      I like what I heard up until 'The Czar' which is a over long and a bit of a stinker. Struggled to carry on after that one. Will give it another go and miss that one out.

Weird, I think that might be my favourite track on there.

If my mastodon track record is anything to go by, it'll be my favorite track in about a months time. I always tend to hate their albums on first listen and end up totally loving them.
    •  alanalan
    • Donny says:
      If my mastodon track record is anything to go by, it'll be my favorite track in about a months time. I always tend to hate their albums on first listen and end up totally loving them.

Yeah, looking back the last couple of albums have been growers for me too.
    •  EggyEggy
    • Donny says:
      'The Czar' which is a over long

I thought that when they played live at corp, wasn't familiar with the album then - i didn't realise it was all one track i just remember them repeating the same lyrics but with many minutes between, makes sense now i know the album, but seems to last forever live.
    •  memnonmemnon
    • i think this album's dope. You cannit fault them for trying something slightly different. It's not a HUGE leap in another direction, just a bit more melodic vox. They're a fairly progressive band anyway so it seems normal that they would try these sorts of things? Not like they've gone from Blood and Thunder to total pop ballads or something, they've had a good innings of pretty RAWK albums.
      Anyway, i think i've gotten on this discussion pretty late, just my 2p worth. :cool:
    •  Tim HolehouseTim Holehouse
    • The new albums grown on me... the riffs are back for the new record... the vocals are still a bit... mmm. But yeah quite enjoyed spinning it yesterday at work. The last track is 4 grown me showing off for 13 minutes... Lovley!
    •  JackJack
    • They were bloody great at Sonasphere and listening to this album again I'm really enjoying it now

Forums - Music Discussion and Promotion - Mastodon't