Menu

Forums - General Chat

2012 Six Nations Thread

•  pull-my-plonkerpull-my-plonker
    • Soooooo... it's that time of year again. Leigh will get his hopes up for no apparent reason, Pete, Rich, Si and James will start off optimistic and then collapse into a pit of dispair like Lewis Moody's bowel problems.

Predictions? I think it could well be one of the most open tournaments for a while with all nations opting to introduce lots of uncapped players. I think the smart money is on Wales or Ireland, with France possibly having the ability to win it by boring all their opponents to tears with their gas-tight defence.

Not holding out much hope for England, but will be good to see how Owen Farrell gets on. Hoping for Wood to eventually grab the captaincy so that I can boast loudly to all within ear-shot that I played on the same pitch as him as a nipper (which I did).

I fear for Italy without Nick Mallett, but you never know.
    •  HopkinsHopkins
    • bring it on

i'm expecting an indifferent performance from wales after the highs of the world cup
    •  bad admiralbad admiral
    • leigh thinks that wales are contenders for the wooden spoon...as the domestic game has gone to shit.

i think this is scotland's year to shine. not necessarily win but "shine".
    •  FDFCFDFC
    • Wales - will be shit
      England - will be shit
      Scotland - will be better than normal (still shit)
      Italy - will be better than normal (still shit)
      Ireland - have nothing to lose. They will be good
      France - Will win and dick on everyone on their way there

I'm off to Dublin this weekend for the craic (and the crack). I expect to be on the flight home on Sunday depressed at the loss, but consoled by being so pissed.
    • FDFC says:
      Wales - will be shit
      England - will be shit
      Scotland - will be better than normal (still shit)
      Italy - will be better than normal (still shit)
      Ireland - have nothing to lose. They will be good
      France - Will win and dick on everyone on their way there

Wales - won't be as shit as Leigh thinks.
      England - may be very dangerous. May be very shit.
      Scotland - will be as shit as usual but will seem less shit because everyone else will be so shit. May beat England in a tedious, grinding stalemate of a match, then having shot their wedge too early - be shit for the rest of the tournament.
      Italy - won't be better than normal. So shit then.
      Ireland - will be a handful.
      France - will be unpredictable and weird. But good.
    • bad admiral says:

Scotland - will be as shit as usual but will seem less shit because everyone else will be so shit. May beat England in a tedious, grinding stalemate of a match, then having shot their wedge too early - be shit for the rest of the tournament.

Bang on mate.

Super Saturday beers to be organised?
    • pull-my-plonker says:
      bad admiral says:

Bang on mate.

Super Saturday beers to be organised?

certainly...certainly...

wearing my england (world cup 2011 disaster version) shirt to work tomorrow to antagonise my scottish boss.
    •  FDFCFDFC
    • Wales have too many injuries to be any good.

I'm off to Dublin tomorrow night but I have no clean pants. SAVE ME.
    • FDFC says:
      Wales have too many injuries to be any good.

hah...my washing machine's broken down and i've been commando since wednesday.
    • FDFC says:
      Wales have too many injuries to be any good.

That's a good reason not to shit yourself Hang in there. Literally.

Starting to get nervous now, I've got a new colleague at work who's Scottish and she'll destroy me come Monday unless we perform today.
    • Wow. Just wow. Ireland 21-23 Wales. What a match! George North is surely a future world player of the year. Leigh - you will be absolutely battered by now I imagine! That was what rugby is all about, although Bradley Davies' appalling tackle should have been a red card and a huge suspension.

England Scotland was nerve-wracking. Very glad to get the win, but that team will need a lot of work. Great to see us handling well and not giving 5000 penalties away though. Owen Farrell had a great debut.

France looked strong, good win against Italy. Will be tough to beat.
    •  HopkinsHopkins
    • i can't believe we actually won that in the end
      great game tho
    •  FDFCFDFC
    • France v Italy. BORING AS FUCK (but good fun cheering Italy)
      Scotland v England. BORING AS FUCK
      Ireland v Wales. One of the best matches I've ever seen.

I've only just seen the Bradley Davies incident. They didn't show any replays of it (presumably to avoid a riot) and I had to txt my Dad back in Wales to find out what he was yellow carded for. Shocking stuff. No idea how that wasn't a red.

However, that tackle may have won it for Wales. Wayne Barnes was more aware of that kind of thing and probably penalised Ireland in the dying seconds to show consistency. Not Barnes's fault. Any professional player knows they can't give the referee an excuse to penalise them in a position like that.

I was surrounded by Welsh supporters. It was pandemonium when that kick went over.
    • leigh ha'penny won't have to buy a drink in wales for a long time.

gotta say the boyos are looking very dangerous. your forwards are fucking animals and the girls are terrifying - phillips, priestland, roberts, davies, north and cuthbut + your man ha'penny is frankly formidable and not something i see in the other teams.

pete's bang on and england will need A LOT of work to capitalise on the calcutta cup. i honestly don't see us troubling france or wales too much. or even ireland.

i forsee france struggling against more consistent opposition who are able to score tries.

ireland are old men and as far as i'm concerned have a big hole in midfield now. bowe is great on his day but has shit on his hands.

italy are brave as always but, with the exception of sergio parisse run out of steam after 50 minutes. additionally, the backs are completely unable to capitalise on hard won ball.

scotland - well. my kiwi mate at work said that he had heard a joke that scotland couldn't score tries. i said that it wasn't really joke, more just a statement along the lines of "ice cream is cold" and "the grass is green" and therefore, not that funny. just tragically true. how can a side be so fucked? they've got the players and infrastructure and domestically they've got cracking teams - why are they so fucking terrible? parks was garbage and there are monumental weaknesses riddling the side. where has it gone wrong. they always used to be contenders but now they're the equivalent of fernando torres.
    • Rich - so bang on, you're practically a pistol with the safety off.

England v Wales Saturday. Shittin meself.
    • hmmm...it's going to be a very ugly game. as long as the ball doesn't get down the line like it's been allowed to in the previous games, i think it'll be tight.

in terms of the bigger picture however, i don't mind throwing this competition in order to get some new blood in and running about and building a talented young squad with shape, dynamism and a bit of international experience. there'll be other 6 nations.

st pat's day for super satdee...up for a bevvie or two. is there anyway we can hook a telly up outdoors and have a paddling pool full of tinnies to drink? and a bbq?
    • hodgson out due to finger injury. boy farrell starts @ 10...twiggy and barritt to take on roberts and davies in midfield.

youngs dropped for dickson which is the right decision as he is terrible at present and the welsh pack and phillips would bully the shit out of him.

welsh back three still awesome and i worry that akthough strettle has beefed up considerably and is a quality propsition, he is too small to effectively neutralise north/cuthbett and ashton seriously needs to prove to me why he keeps getting selected. he scored some amazing tries a year ago but currently spends his time scuttling sideways and trying to tackle using slapping and farts.

perhaps dickson being quicker than youngs (but still not that quick) will buy our backline more time to shape a more fluid attack and space that he can capitalise on.

jason robinson never needed the space though...he only needed JESUS.
    •  HopkinsHopkins
    • are we actually favourites going into a game at twickenham?

wow, just wow!
    • One of the best games I've ever seen. So brutal in every aspect from start to finish. The punishment in some of those hits was unbelievable. So gutted we lost as we gave everything against one of the best teams in the world, but Wales got the luck and in that sense deserved the win. Good luck to them, although I though we matched them all over the pitch.

I agree Strettle's 80th min attempt was held up, but by God it was close. Wouldn't of mattered anyway as Flood would have fucked up the conversion as he sucks.
    •  FDFCFDFC
    • I was jumping on a bed in a hotel in Wakefield, such was the excitement of that match.

Forums - General Chat - 2012 Six Nations Thread