Menu

Forums - Reviews and Articles

Ten years of ninehertz

•  PetePete
    • Add your comments here!
    •  OllieOllie
    • It's been a pleasure to be involved with you guys!
    •  PetePete
    • Thanks Ollie - you've always been good to us. Grifter were the first band to play for us, and the first headliner of one of our all dayers - great times.
    •  OllieOllie
    • Some of our most memorable and enjoyable gigs. Will have to send you a link to our new album
    •  HopkinsHopkins
    • amazing!
    •  mikemike
    • What would my life be without Ninehertz? Way way different, although we've never been on the cutting edge (or even claimed to be) we've always championed the little guys over the established bands.

When Pete and I were discussing the future of the site just two or three years ago I found myself thinking 'We can't just let it die'. Not through any feelings of nostalgia but in a sense cutting off our nose to spite our face. Even this week we've tried to boost a new Sheffield band (Kurokuma) and I'm constantly blown away with the stuff we get sent every day (and it's loads).

If I were to get misty-eyed about it, which Pete and I do a lot, I probably wouldn't stop talking but some of the best gigs of my life were done under the Ninehertz banner. Pete often brings up the moment he looked around at a packed Cricketers Arms function room and realised nearly every one of the people in the room he knew because if our website. That's special and some of us have made friends for life through it. There's so many people who have come and gone but those who support us still are invaluable.

I could talk all night but basically it's been a blast and has probably affected my life more than I think. Thanks to everyone who has supported us, written a review, read a review, sent us material for free, shared our vision and continues to do so. But mainly thanks to the awesome friends I still think bust their guts for us, Ben Amy, Carey and most of all PETE CROWTHER, one of my bestest ever mates.
      [Edited by mike at 22:43 on 01/12/14]
    •  pull-my-plonkerpull-my-plonker
    • Great article Pete, as always.

Fascinating to see and hear the history laid out by the guys who created it - it is, was and continues to be a thriving and thoroughly inclusive scene thanks to sites like ninehertz and the other mentioned above. Through 9hz I made countless fantastic friends upon moving to London (where I had less mates than Billy) almost instantly simply via a love of music and chatting absolute bollocks via das interpipes. Totally agree that the site is in far better shape than ever and it's been a pleasure to have been a tiny part of it by submitting some of my first ever reviews via this great community.

Cheers to Mike, Pete, Ben, Carey and Amy for starting something awesome and here's to ten more years!

Pete Plonker
      [Edited by pull-my-plonker at 23:31 on 01/12/14]
    •  mikemike
    • Cheers Plonker!
    •  sabbathfansabbathfan
    • It's been good :)

Looking back it's interesting to see Pete's citing of the Kerrang S/D forum as the starting point for all this. I remember joining the K! boards in 2001 for that forum alone. It's not an exaggeration to say that a pretty large part of my friends and acquaintances are former K! members.

I enjoyed the message board here as well for discussions, but as is the case with a lot of message boards Facebook kind of took over after a while and people posted there less. Definitely agree that for a long time it was the only real place to go for UK based discussion of the stoner/doom/sludge scene.

I liked all the gigs put on over the years, should have gone to more of them really.

This reminds me that I need to start putting in some more reviews for this place again.

•  ChrisCChrisC
    • Not sure when I first started reading this forum but its still one of my first points for my music news fix great gigs too think i managed to get to a fair few!

Still love seeing mike and pete at least once a year out and about at one gig or another

Great Work all round xxxxx
    •  mambamamba
    • Even if that photo above from the Cricketers alldayer is a little bit embarrassing, it's pretty cool to be able to say that I know most people in that photo from this site.

Ninehertz got me more involved in music in general than I ever had been before, from putting on the Oxford date of the above mentioned Truckfighters tour, to writing the odd review, to helping out with social media stuff. It's also meant that I can happily go to gigs in London, Sheffield and even Tilburg and know there will be some friendly faces there.

Ninehertz has certainly enhanced the last 10 years of my life. Good work all round peeps.
    •  alanalan
    • Good work indeed. This place introduced me to some great bands and cool people.
    •  cbamber85cbamber85
    • I frequent a handful of sites and blogs to help scour the internet for new music, but ninehertz has by far the best heard-then-bought ratio - and for that I'm eternally grateful.

In fact that point just shows how much ninehertz has expanded it's musical horizons from it's beginnings, because I'm not much of stoner rock fan at all.
    •  GrymGrym
    • 10 years. Whoah. Good work all round, had some fun back in the day, kinda miss the gigs and the more active forum :(
    •  90dayman90dayman
    • Great article Pete.

I don't post as much as I used to on here but, still use the site regularly to check out the reviews and upcoming gigs. It certainly makes me happy that the site's still going strong after 10 years.

If not for Ninehertz there'd probably be a whole bunch of bands that I love that I may never have heard so thanks for that!

Also, when I think back to my first trip to Roadburn back in 2008, if not for this forum and having a great bunch of folks to meet up with, it would likely have been an entirely less awesome experience. So thanks for that too. :)

•  PetePete
    • great to see replies here from so many of you, thanks.

and Mike, love you too ;) x
    •  bad admiralbad admiral
    • Great article and happy 10 years! Met some awesome folks through 9hz, got messy with plenty of them and seen some of the best bands around at the all dayers. Cheers 9hz!

Forums - Reviews and Articles - Ten years of ninehertz