Menu
    •  Tino InsanaTino Insana
    • I've got four bands booked to play a venue on 9th August. Question is: where do I book them?

I'm thinking Red House might be a bit small, as I've got to pay two travelling bands petrol. I hear Grapes is quite stingy with costs. Casbah too may be out the price range and I'll need plenty of people to come.

I've heard of other fringe venues like Shakespeare etc.. Any other decent venues about? Just to say that they're all quality bands that a fair few of you will want to see, so nobody be booking any similarly heavy bands for 09/08, heh!

Also just a sidenote; Would anyone be able to sort us out OR put us in the right direction to sort out for gigs for Aug 3rd & 7th for us and Bastard of the Skies? Somewhere in the Midlands or North, but anywhere considered. Let us know.:cool:
    •  mikemike
    • Casbah is free if you contact Team Tall on myspace, Redhouse is free but may well be booked up as its quite close, same with Grapes tbh, the Shakespeare is about £100 I'm told, theres a few more that come to mind, the George IV might be an idea, and I'm told you can now rent Penelopes nightclub (about 3/4s size of the Casbah) for bands, and if you're wondering where it is, look next to the Carling Academy and Odeon for a door that leads downstairs, says the name on the door.
    •  PodgePodge
    • Grapes = 60 quids, usually booked up
      Redhouse = Free, usually booked up
      Shakespear = Room is free / PA is 100£, usually booked up
      Casbah = go through team tall if Jay will let you
      George IV = Free But you need a PA, generally available
      Sharrow lantern = quiet gigs only really
      bar abbey = not been there in years, used to be free
      Penelope's = no idea, maybe worth finding out
      Pamona = no idea
      Harley = quiet / indie gigs only
      Nelson = only do gigs 1st friday of every month

Under the boardwalk = sounds like an aircraft hanger & closed down
      the Boardwalk = expensive but good venue
      D&R bar (what was) = the bar has re opened under a new name / manager, might be worth asking.
      Barrel & something = up Penistone road, probably indie / acoustic only
      Eccy road political club = never been but supposedly not bad if they still hire it out

Moorfoot Tavern = Not seen gigs advertised in ages, bit of a dive
      Washington = Pub organised gigs only
      Frog & Parrot = Pub organised gigs only

West St Live = regular booked nights, available for hire - shit sound
      Dove & Rainbow = Pub organised gigs only
      Riverside = pretty small... tends to be acoustic stuff only
      the moon (formerly the office) = closed down
      new barrack tavern = just outside hillsborough, no idea of details
      Harlequin = has a function room, no other details
      Cricketers arms = may be available depending on new management
      Vine = only ever seen one band play there, may have been a special one off
    •  HogTeamHogTeam
    • Grapes £60 at min. according to sounds guy on thursday.
    •  AlecAlec
    • word on the street (ie jay) is that the red house is opening a gig room upstairs too!
    •  mikemike
    • Amazing! They have a nice basement too but I dount that will ever get used, although they could easily soundproof it and have it as a band rehersal room.
    •  AlecAlec
    • i <3 the red house, cant wait to get back in gig-putting-on action after summer!
    • HogTeam says:

Grapes £60 at min. according to sounds guy on thursday.

Might give them a shout then. The RedHouse is booked up for that date, sorry to say. Could have made it a real party in that place
    •  PodgePodge
    • edited again. i'll keep updating this as and when i think of places
    •  HopkinsHopkins
    • On the subject, which Sheffield venues have cover bands on? Just starting to look into this kind of thing
    •  PodgePodge
    • that's a different kettle of fish. I'll have a think. you're probably looking more outskirts pubs though.
    •  mikemike
    • Hopkins says:

On the subject, which Sheffield venues have cover bands on? Just starting to look into this kind of thing

Yeah you guys could do really well on the covers circuit, serious money in that! My friend Dan did it for about 8 years, used to do three gigs a week and made about £500, after splitting the cash and costs.
    •  PetePete
    • Hopkins says:

On the subject, which Sheffield venues have cover bands on?

Boardwalk, every other night it seems.
    •  mikemike
    • I'd say the money is Friday and Saturday nights in more provincial areas of Sheffield, thats where my mate played, if you can call Burngreave and Attercliffe provinces?
    •  HopkinsHopkins
    • We've got our 1st proper gig in 2 weeks, ie full backline, p.a and lights and doing 2 full sets with a break in the middle. If that goes well, the same pub should hopefully gives us a slot on a Friday or Saturday, and then we might look at other places.

We only do it for a laugh though, so it's new territory to us
    • Podge says:

edited again. i'll keep updating this as and when i think of places

Cheers dude, appreciated. Can't believe you even thought about adding Under the Boardwalk! Not seen one 9hz related person there during any of our gigs. I c an't blame anyone either, cus the majority of the time I didn't want to be there.

Just to add, the venue could do with being pretty central, as it will be mostly the 9hz crowd I'll be needing to come. Asked a couple of places, just waiting now.

More details to follow! More than a few should enjoy the lineup!
    •  noonenoone
    • George IV is FREE , very big function room upstairs but you need to bring your own PA and it needs to be pretty big.
      The new owners are keen on anything that brings more people in and the beers not too expensive either ( £2 a pint on Strongbow )
      Downside - it's a bit out of the way or so most lazy people think. The supertram and bus stops a few yards away though.
      They also have a fairly basic lighting rig and smoke machine setup which can be pretty fun. Don't overdo it on the smoke machine though , less is more as I found out.
    •  noonenoone
    • Hopkins says:

On the subject, which Sheffield venues have cover bands on? Just starting to look into this kind of thing

West Street Live on er West Street. They lap it up and pay well for cover bands.
      Probably got a myspace.
    •  EggyEggy
    • Hopkins says:

Eyeball, a sheffield based (cover) band who i saw in chesterfield recently [really good i thought] have gigs in sheff at the dove & rainbow, the moon (formerly the office), the riverside, the harlequin, and the new barrack tavern. Out of them i only know of the d&r. So fuck knows where and what the others are like, but i have wondered.
    •  theadoretheadore
    • Eggy says:

the moon (formerly the office), the riverside, the harlequin

The moon shut down last week... 6 police cars outside seems to suggest it might be a while before it opens again.

Riverside is pretty small... tends to be acoustic stuff only. (Opus productions do stuff there every week)

Harlequin has a function room I think... but it also is full of clowns.

Forums - Music Discussion and Promotion - Sheffield venues?