Menu

Forums - Music Discussion and Promotion

Pelican + Torche - 13th September - Sheffield

•  slomoslomo
    • http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h283/slomotmd/work%20flyers/pelicantorche-sept13.jpg

As it says exactly on the poster! There will be no support for this as I believe there will be about an hour set from each band with a nice break in between for some aural rest! Very excited to hear Torche live on the big stage. The new album is somewhat special. Will Pelican stand to the challenge or will they pull the immense switch? Only one way to find out!
    •  slomoslomo
    • Indeed - Kara has done an amazing job on the pair of them (A Storm Of Light) and deserves some kind of Booker prize for it.
    •  mikemike
    • This tour now has Kayo Dot support, I may even go to Bristol for this, Torche, Pelican and Kayo Dot, damn forward planning Flatlands gigs!
    •  EggyEggy
    • Rob Himself says:
      nice flyer.

great flyer, love the pelican/torche wording.
    •  slomoslomo
    • Not heard anything about Kayo Dot supporting AT ALL. So hold that thought for now.

Absolutely loving Meanderthal though. Anyone else?
    •  PodgePodge
    • slomo says:
      Absolutely loving Meanderthal though. Anyone else?

me me me
    •  slomoslomo
    • Was expecting something quite low and cavity-esque. I was totally taken by surprise.
    •  PodgePodge
    • i love the pop sensibility of it and the short songs, i can happily listen to it again and again
    •  Big SiBig Si
    • It's good, but it's a it's a bit meh compared to the other two. That's official.
    •  mikemike
    • I love it, its perfect traveling music.
    •  FreeneyFreeney
    • Sweet Baby. I gotta get to one of these.
    •  paul gpaul g
    • Will be over for this,
      are torche doing any dates without pelican?
    •  LaddethLaddeth
    • I have already booked the time off for this :D
      However it may coincide with moving house so I'm not 100%
    •  JenTheHenJenTheHen
    • I've worked out that I will not be going to this as I will not be in Sheffield.

I am not that impressed with the new album though so I don't mind. Yes, I am the only one who doesn't bum the new album. The only one.
    •  Big SiBig Si
    • The new Torche? No, you're not the only one.
      And if you mean the new Pelican, you're a long way from the only one.
    •  JenTheHenJenTheHen
    • Big Si says:
      The new Torche? No, you're not the only one.

Oh yes, sorry I meant the new Torche. Pelican have been boring for ages. So boring that I'd forgotten they were even playing this gig.
    •  Rob SmithRob Smith
    • JenTheHen says:
      Big Si says:

Oh yes, sorry I meant the new Torche. Pelican have been boring for ages. So boring that I'd forgotten they were even playing this gig.

I don't think that's fair. Pelican's City of Echoes was a natural progression & far superior in its production values. Its no Australasia grated but I do find myself playing it more these days. its good driving music.
    •  JenTheHenJenTheHen
    • Rob Smith says:
      JenTheHen says:
      Big Si says:

I don't think that's fair. Pelican's City of Echoes was a natural progression & far superior in its production values. Its no Australasia grated but I do find myself playing it more these days. its good driving music.

That's risky. Do you know what can happen if you fall asleep at the wheel?

http://cache.gizmodo.com/assets/resources/2008/01/car-crash.jpg
    •  EggyEggy
    • I had city of echoes on in the car a few weeks back and i'd agree it's good to drive to, but whether it's as good as earlier pelican efforts or Red sparrowes first album which is ace to drive to remains to be seen as i've only listened to city of echoes that one time.

Australisia was the first pelican album i heard/bought and still takes some beating due to it's heaviness, 'the fire..' i also quite like though.

Forums - Music Discussion and Promotion - Pelican + Torche - 13th September - Sheffield