Menu

Forums - General Chat

Anyones bills getting silly?

•  mikemike
    • BT tried to increase my phone bill by 300% the other week until I rang them up and told them it was silly, result, increase by 25%, not too bad.

Anyone else being buggered by the crunch?
    •  HopkinsHopkins
    • Gas bills getting stupid now, as is fuel obviously
    •  mikemike
    • Glad I don't drive at the moment, everyone who drives diesel should go to chip oil conversion, works out under 40p a litre, less than half what petrol costs at the moment! £3 apparently to convert?

My gas and electric are combined direct debit, so they aren't too bad but everythings getting lean.

Tell you whats shit though, Johnstone Press, who own the majority of papers in the north and midlands have got a recruitment freeze on, just as I qualify as a journo and need a job, fucking just my luck eh? Nobodies buying advertising in the papers, well, not as many. Turns out most trainee jobs are down south at the moment, so I may well have to move if something doesn't change soon, fantastic.
    •  HopkinsHopkins
    • Those diesil to oil conversion kits cost about 3 grand, and besides, you need to source the oil, and you can bet chippies will get wise and charge folk for it, instead of chucking it
    •  mikemike
    • Yeah most chippies sell the used oil for £10 per 10 buckets or something, still works out cheap cheap.

Yeah you need to make sure the car is going to last before you convert I suppose.
    •  slack mammothslack mammoth
    • Our bills are dogshit cheap because we don't actually do anything, never have the heating on, don't have a phone or internet, turn everything off at the wall when we're done with it.

I'm waiting for trains to go up. I'll wear a codpiece for when that happens.
    •  mikemike
    • They are, very soon, about 20-30%, it was in the paper yesterday.

They are already silly in Sheffield, it was £15.50 return to Gainsborough, which is about 40 minutes journey each way, and yesterday I paid £7.50 for a return from G'bro to Worksop, which is 20 minutes, fucking ridiculous.
    •  Catacomb RecordsCatacomb Records
    • Gas / Electric are verrry silly!! Dave and me have lived in our house for 2 years now and they've gone through the roof...

Mortgage ain't gone up too much though...

Petrol is daft!! I work in brum and live 30 mins away, I drive a 1.6 VW Beetle (new one) and it costs me £40 a week just to get to work... extra if i'm going out anywhere!! I'm looking at getting an original beetle too... that'll drink petrol like it's water!!

:cry:
    • mike says:

They are, very soon, about 20-30%, it was in the paper yesterday.

Yep. Still cheaper and better than living in London though.
    •  mikemike
    • Aye true, I would work there in a shot, living there I duno.

Worked out I could get a train to London in about 40 minutes-1 hour from Grantham every day, would only have to move about 50 miles away from Sheff, hmmmmmmmmmm.
    • Probably quite expensive in train, but it would balance out in rent.
    •  mikemike
    • Aye, Lincolnshire is quite cheap for rent like.
    •  PodgePodge
    • moan moan moan.
    •  rustyspoonrustyspoon
    • Council tax is a killer.
      Mine was £100 last year and went upto £126 this year.
    •  GarethGareth
    • rustyspoon says:

Council tax is a killer.
      Mine was £100 last year and went upto £126 this year.

There's 6 people in our house paying £27 a month each...
    •  Smockboy25Smockboy25
    • Just renewed my car insurance today (expires on the 7th), my current insurers quoted my £440.00 at first - did a quick search on confused.com lowest price came out at £279.00, rang my insurers back telling the cheapest quote I had, put on hold a minute and surprise they can do it for £285.00!!!

as for fuel, it sticks in people's throats when shithouses like shell announce mega profits and yet the price keeps rising!
    •  JenTheHenJenTheHen
    • What's this week's panic? The cost of living.

I'm just glad I don't live in fucking Zimbabwe.
    •  Smockboy25Smockboy25
    • JenTheHen says:

What's this week's panic? The cost of living.

Yep, we think we've got it bad - just need to look at Zimbabwe, that's fucking mental!
    •  HopkinsHopkins
    • JenTheHen says:

What's this week's panic? The cost of living.

I think it's the cost of living rising above the rate of inflation that's the problem

Forums - General Chat - Anyones bills getting silly?