Menu

Forums - Music Discussion and Promotion

The awesome venues thread

•  JackJack
    • Going on Sophs heads up on the good venue she found shall we add them in one thread.

So give the venue name, location and why its great. Would be a good help for booking tours, gigs etc.
    •  Big SiBig Si
    • The Yorkshire House in Lancaster - nice old pub, top notch live room upstairs, friendly sound guy who does a good job.

Taylor John's House in Coventry - loud gigs in a jazz club, says it all.

The Gander in Bournemouth - big and beefy, good sound guy and very friendly management. I'd like this place whatever after the manager shouted Flatlands a round of drinks.

I'll think of more, that's just three good'uns we've played recently. Of course, no matter how good the venue, the quality of the promoter will be the making of any gig.
    •  mikemike
    • I like Canon's Gate in Edinburgh, real ale pub with a big basement thats pleasant to spent time in, doesn't feel unhygienic!
    •  tom.atom.a
    • sounds like a good idea to me
      i would start adding venues for sheffield but we are running out far to rapidly for my liking.

however for the cost of nothing more than a quick fumble in the dark slomo can allways be approached about corp.
    •  Big SiBig Si
    • My favourite Sheffield venue is the Grapes. I know some people have issues with the place, but I've always enjoyed playing there.
    •  mikemike
    • Red House
      Grapes
      Boardwalk
      Cricketers when it was open for gigs

They are my fave venues here. Red House is free, clean, friendly, late license, getting busier as time goes on, great place.

Grapes is great, no idea why people don't like it, nice pub downstairs, space for a promoter to sit and take the money, decent enough space, great stage/sound/minimal lighting, the only gripe maybe is the stairs for equipment and the price, but to be honest the price has never been an issue for me, even when it was more expensive, the soundchecks being managed by the soundguys for the most part saves stressing out.
    •  slack mammothslack mammoth
    • It was a gas playing at the Grapes. What's the issue everyone's got with it? Is it expensive to hire?
    •  mikemike
    • Its £70 any day of the week including sundays now for a three band lineup, £20 if you want an extra band, which even then is only £90 and if you get 30 people paying £3 its paid for.
    •  tom.atom.a
    • i duno what the issue with the place is as such but there is something about the place i just dont like.
    •  JackJack
    • London:

Fighting cocks- pretty cool venue, crazy rock and roll feel, sound guy was cool
    •  Amy BAmy B
    • oddly, there's a article on the top 10 venues in sheffield in the guardian today, but hte sites being slow so can only see the top 3 which are boardwalk, grapes and harley.
      clicky
    •  PetePete
    • mike says:

Its £70 any day of the week including sundays now for a three band lineup, £20 if you want an extra band, which even then is only £90 and if you get 30 people paying £3 its paid for.

...if you don't pay any of the bands...?

It's not massively expensive, but it used to be free, and for the scale of gigs we like to put on, any amount of money for the venue pretty much prices us out. The Grapes is the home of the big Sheffield indie scene and therefore they can charge it, and crap indie bands can play it every night of the week and make the money, and put local bands on only.

That was more of a rant than it was meant to be...

I do like the Grapes though, as a gig-going venue, a lot.
      But the Boardwalk is crap, I dislike that place.
    •  PetePete
    • Amy B says:

oddly, there's a article on the top 10 venues in sheffield in the guardian today, but hte sites being slow so can only see the top 3 which are boardwalk, grapes and harley.
      clicky

I was at the gig where the pic on that article was taken, embarrassingly.

Results were:
      1) Boardwalk
      2) Grapes
      3) Harley
      4) West st Live
      5) Dove n Rainbow
      6) Casbah
      7) Cremorne
      8) New Barrack Tavern
      10) Leadmill

what the fuck??? Who came up with that list?? Boardwalk number one? Harley - not really even a venue number 3? WEST STRWEET FUCKING LIVE? Dive n Rainbow? CASBAH???? Leadmill?

I do feel grumpy today, but fuck...
    •  DonnyDonny
    • An echo from soph's thread.

Glasgow - Ivory Blacks.

House sound guy knew exactly what he was doing, promoter was cool, guy that owned the place is metaller and revelled in pissing off the office workers upstairs (volume restricted until 9:00pm as there's a call centre upstairs). They gave us internet access, fed us, gave us beer, paid the guarantee. They even had a tumble drier in the dressing room and a dressing room.
    •  tom.atom.a
    • that guardian list is an interesting one.
      ill take the list out as pete beat me to it.
      id love to know who actuly compiled it and what if anythign they know about music venues.
      places like the harley are again land of the trendy indie bands thats easily acceptable to students.
      west street live is bad. its a nice venue but the sound in there is just terrible.
    •  PetePete
    • tom.a says:

that guardian list is a bollocks one.
    •  Big SiBig Si
    • Pete, The Grapes hasn't been free the whole time I've been playing gigs there, which is considerably longer than you've lived in Sheffield.
      It was only £35 back in them days, though... ahh, me lost youth. Mars Bars were 18p once.
    •  tom.atom.a
    • Pete says:

tom.a says:

that guardian list is a bollocks one.

yeah.
      probably written by somebody who needed to fill their article count for the month in order to pick up an oversized pay check without having to leave their nice desk somewhere down south and actuly come and see the venues they are wrighing about as the description look like they have been lifted from venues myspace and web sites. if not worse in some cases face book groups.
      screw the guardian.
    •  JackJack
    • The Junction Bristol- Minus the absolutely terrible toilet this venue has a cool DIY charm to it
    •  PetePete
    • Big Si says:

Pete, The Grapes hasn't been free the whole time I've been playing gigs there

I thought it was. And I was expressing an opinion others who have been putting gigs on there for years have voiced, if not my own. The point about it pricing it out of our range for most of the gigs we like to put on still stands.

Forums - Music Discussion and Promotion - The awesome venues thread