Menu

Forums - General Chat

SUNN Stage Set Up

•  WickedWesticleWickedWesticle
    • Found it on Invisible Oranges. It's not easy to read unless you have tiny eyes but it's interesting anyway.

http://benversluis.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/sunn_techrider.jpg
    •  RamoRamo
    • Good find.
    • Yeah I like the fact the vocalist has 4 monitors to get through the noise.
    •  bluesoulbluesoul
    • Sorry, but I really hate Sunn. Anyone want to buy my copy of Monoliths and Dimensions?
    • Yeah I got 10 mins into that and turned it off. Shame cos I saw them live years ago and they were awesome. Not that they were any good at ATP.
    •  MORRELLMORRELL
    • Thats really interesting. Monliths is the best thing they've done IMO.
    •  bad admiralbad admiral
    • what a bunch of knobbers.
    •  Rob HimselfRob Himself
    • I always wanted to see them live and missed every chance. Can't listen to them at all on CD though.
    •  HopkinsHopkins
    • sounds like someone left hoover on
    •  MORRELLMORRELL
    • Hopkins says:
      sounds like someone left hoover on

I love em- not the old stuff mind.
    •  Tim HolehouseTim Holehouse
    • I like them always have always probably will I think what they do is quite interesting... I prefer other bands over them obviously... Earth are far better. But I like the way they have progressed and kept it interesting. A lot more so i'd say than many of the stoner rock bands I've seen over the years.
      For me the best sunn show was the underworld first time when nobody had heard of them. Two blokes in monk outfits playing behind a wall of amps... I was stunningly high and it just hit the spot. The two bands that played after really where humbled in my opinion... oh that was goatsnake and Orange Goblin.

But realise they are not for eerybody and that's a good thing.
    •  JackJack
    • I like the way they started as a joke and now take themselves way too seriously
    •  pull-my-plonkerpull-my-plonker
    • I must admit that whilst I'm not a "fan" of SUNN, I am a great admirer. I don't think I'll ever 'get' what it is that they do, but it is mightily impressive, and fucking louder than demented pigeons.

I know I'm always banging on about Supersonic Fest from last year, but seeing Sunn really was mesmorising,. They only played the Grimmrobe Demos which can be described as "basic" at best, but the ambience, smoke, cloaks, tiny inklings of rhythmic riff patterns and all out weirdness was hugely entertaining. That huge henge of amps nearly raped my face. God only knows how scary it would be to see Attila Csihar bellowing over that din.

That said, O'Malley (especially) and Anderson are fucked up dudes (point proven when Stephen beat the living fuck out of Greg onstage for deliberately playing 'bum notes';) and certainly do have a large amount of ego.

But their musical range is hard to argue with, and Thorr's Hammer are also an unstoppable doom force - much more my kinda thing.
    •  OllieOllie
    • I find them boring as fuck.
    •  bad admiralbad admiral
    • pull-my-plonker says:
      That said, O'Malley (especially) and Anderson are fucked up dudes (point proven when Stephen beat the living fuck out of Greg onstage for deliberately playing 'bum notes';) and certainly do have a large amount of ego.

i don't understand how this makes them fucked up?!?!

i bummed whippy enron at knifepoint last night at practice as i didn't want to pay for our new t-shirts as it compromises my "pussy and blow and anti-capitalist" credo. we're friends now...i gave his tummy a little lick.

we wrote an old skool emo track as well. it's called unicornucopia, it's about morrell digging unicorns and is emo as fuck and really difficult to play.

sunn o))) are still ballbags. attilla is cool though.
      [Edited by bad admiral at 11:44 on 26/03/10]
    •  Rob HimselfRob Himself
    • Jack says:
      I like the way they started as a joke and now take themselves way too seriously

If Mfkzt were still going, we'd be total dicks by now.
    • Rob Himself says:
      Jack says:
      I like the way they started as a joke and now take themselves way too seriously

If Mfkzt were still going, we'd be total dicks by now.

Chips ego be through the roof by now... ha ha!
    •  GnidrologGnidrolog
    • Two bands i can't get to grips with...Sunn and Tangerine Dream (Phaedra particularly). Maybe its something that can only be experienced live...after too much cough syrup.

Emperors new clothes!
    • I saw sunn open for orange goblin and goat's cheese... blew the other bands off the stage... seriously! I like the fact they annoy people.

Sunn 0))) > most stoner rock bands

I'm not saying they don't have their faults they do take themselves way too seriously (something i'm proud we never did with naked shit!) but i like what they are striving for sonically.
    •  JackJack
    • Tim Holehouse says:
      I saw sunn open for orange goblin and goat's cheese... blew the other bands off the stage... seriously! I like the fact they annoy people.

Sunn 0))) > most stoner rock bands

I'm not saying they don't have their faults they do take themselves way too seriously (something i'm proud we never did with naked shit!) but i like what they are striving for sonically.

Nah most stoner rock bands have riffs, Sunn nothing that makes me think great apart from maybe sounding very loud

Forums - General Chat - SUNN Stage Set Up