Menu

Forums - General Chat

One of our guinea pigs has died

•  HopkinsHopkins
    • :(

He'd been a bit snuffly and had a bit of a fast heartbeat the past day or two, but was still running about and having his food etc. Trace noticed he was really fidgety this morning, so she picked him up, and he just died on her lap. Poor old George will be all lonely now, is it worth getting him another friend, or will they fight?

R.I.P Fred
    •  bad admiralbad admiral
    • ah man, i'm sorry to hear that.

try him on his own. male guinea pigs (or boars if you will) are very territorial and he may enjoy his own company whilst you guys are at work. as long as he gets some cuddle in the evening he should be ok.

this is not definitive advice...just what i picked up from the devilweb when we got ours.
    •  MazzMazz
    • Bad news indeed. Let the Boar be free for a bit.
    •  CareyCarey
    • that's really sad. he wasn't very old, was he?

i don't know much about guinea pigs, but rats are supposed to have some time alone to get used to the loss.
    •  Rob SmithRob Smith
    • Hopkins says:
      :(

He'd been a bit snuffly and had a bit of a fast heartbeat the past day or two, but was still running about and having his food etc. Trace noticed he was really fidgety this morning, so she picked him up, and he just died on her lap. Poor old George will be all lonely now, is it worth getting him another friend, or will they fight?

R.I.P Fred

I'm sorry man. Ive lost 3 pets this year. its hard
    •  HopkinsHopkins
    • He was 5 months old

Trace is in bits as she adored them, and is blaming herself for not taking him to the vet. But I said you can't take them to the vet everytime they sneeze or sniffle.
      [Edited by Hopkins at 14:21 on 12/08/08]
    •  CareyCarey
    • the vet wouldn't have been able to do much, i shouldn't think. rodents have swift declines.:(
    •  mikemike
    • They don't generally live that long, and when they get ill, theres not much that can be done for them poor fellas, crap news matey.
    •  Rob HimselfRob Himself
    • My guinea pig lived for ages on his own after my rabbit died. I think he lived to 9 or something ridiculous. Winnipegs are awesome. :(
    •  HopkinsHopkins
    • They're supposed to average 7 years or so
    •  mikemike
    • Maybe I'm thinking of hamsters, they are the smaller furry things aren't they? Guinea pigs are the toothsome, squeaky, bigger ones that look like moving wigs right?
    •  HopkinsHopkins
    • That's right
    •  JenTheHenJenTheHen
    • Awwwwwww sad news indeed. Sorry to hear it.
    •  noonenoone
    • that's nothing , one of our dinosaurs is missing.
    •  EggyEggy
    • RIP fred.
    •  HopkinsHopkins
    • George had to be put to sleep yesterday :o(

he had a really big tumour on his belly for the past few months, but we decided to leave it as he still seemed his happy self. over the weekend it started bleeding, so before it got infected, we had to make the decision

:o(

RIP George

here's a photo of him and someone hairy

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v651/118/78/1058841647/n1058841647_334207_1649240.jpg
    •  MazzMazz
    • RIP George.
    •  JackJack
    • RIP, he looked like a cool character
    •  pull-my-plonkerpull-my-plonker
    • Sorry fella. Kirst lost her 13-year-old three-legged cat last month - tough times indeed.

Forums - General Chat - One of our guinea pigs has died