Menu

Forums - General Chat

the how would you judge how diverse your music taste is? thread

•  CareyCarey
    • ideas?

pie charts? maths? a list thread?
    •  Big SiBig Si
    • I'd give up and do something more interesting instead.
    •  mikemike
    • Does it need proving/judging?

I listen to all sorts but its not a factor I particularly need to look at, you got a reason for this?
    •  HopkinsHopkins
    • A swingometer?
    •  CareyCarey
    • challenging gareth, what else?
    •  LaddethLaddeth
    • I listen to the radio and whatever you lot tell me.
      Does that make me diverse?
    •  GarethGareth
    • Let's just throw CDs at each other.
    •  JenTheHenJenTheHen
    • Big Si says:

I'd give up and do something more interesting instead.

Seconded.
    •  noonenoone
    • having a diverse taste is too expensive.
      Just name drop the coolest bands every month and pretend you have heard them but ' prefer their earlier stuff '
      You could even write a zine about it or just not and say you did.
    •  CareyCarey
    • diverse does not equate with "cool" in my head, so that plan isn't gonna work.

the trouble with you lot is that you don't like to theorise. there's nothing more fun than developing an analytical system. your loss.
    •  noonenoone
    • yes it sounds fun but not really 'fun' fun like hungry hippos or dodgem cars is it?
    •  CareyCarey
    • nobody understands me.
    •  JackJack
    • I'd say i have diverse music taste, dont think it makes me cool, more of a geek
    •  CareyCarey
    • i was actually thinking more in music theory terms, like how you'd categorise a genre in terms of its features and how distant they were from each other. like ska and sludge are pretty distant from each other in the instruments they use etc.
    •  JackJack
    • Countries have to feature to, like you can listen to psych rock from the uk or the USA but dig deeper and theres stuff from South Africa, Japan etc thats more diverse
    •  CareyCarey
    • yes! jack, you get it.

but countries only inasmuch as it affects the sound of the music, to be a purely fair test of diversity it can't be about how obscure something is in "hard to get hold of" terms.
    •  Big SiBig Si
    • Bloody hell, I did a degree in analytical philosophy and even I think this is pushing the limits of what could be considered rational behaviour... I think you've got some sort of OCD, Carey.
    •  CareyCarey
    • calm down there. i'm not planning to pursue this to the point of writing some sort of academic tome.

i was just wondering if anyone had any interesting ideas about how they categorise music genres in their heads. this is a music website after all, i thought someone might like to discuss it. if no-one does, that's fine with me.
    •  JackJack
    • haha yeah it is a little deep. Thing I have is some weird music knowledge about some really odd people, like i know what bands they were in before other bands etc Usually quite useless things but often enough to be able to argue fairly confidently with people on certain subjects.

Sorry this is wandering off the topic, at least i think but recently this guy was trying to tell me that Lynyrd Skynyrd were racist, all this based essentially on sweet home alabama which is not racist it's just a bout loving where you come from. I had to point out to him that they actually wrote a song called Curtis lowe about a black guy who played guitar where they lived who Ronnie the singer considered to be the best blues player ever, massively respected. Hardly the topic a racist would choose to write. I also explained how they were unlike the locals, grew their hair long etc, wrote songs about their dislike of guns. He had some stupid image of a band based on one song and no research.
      So what I'm trying to get to is that sometimes this odd musical trivia can actually be used to prove how ignorant someone is and leave them with nothing to come back with. Snobbish as that is I like it
    •  JackJack
    • Sorry that was way off topic, i need sleep

Forums - General Chat - the how would you judge how diverse your music taste is? thread