Now we can await whinges about list threads... :P
    •  Tino InsanaTino Insana
    • Yup, and this is just for them...

My Holy Four in order:

Paranoid
      Vol. 4
      Master of Reality
      Black Sabbath

The bottom two change places often, but not really the top two. Paranoid is my out and out favourite. It's just got the best sounds, songs and aura about it. Shame it has the worst front cover of the lot.

Stick that in your list hating pipes and smoke it :)
    •  Smockboy25Smockboy25
    • Tino Insana says:
      Yup, and this is just for them...

My Holy Four in order:

Paranoid
      Vol. 4
      Master of Reality
      Black Sabbath

The bottom two change places often, but not really the top two. Paranoid is my out and out favourite. It's just got the best sounds, songs and aura about it. Shame it has the worst front cover of the lot.

Stick that in your list hating pipes and smoke it :)

Sabotage has a pretty poor cover too!

Think Vol 4 or Black Sabbath are my favourite.. but Paranoid and Master of Reality are awesome too - tough to single out one tho!
    •  Tino InsanaTino Insana
    • Heh, not as bad as this:

http://wylfwt.com/home/files/images/BlackSabbath-BornAgain_0.jpg

The other 3 of the holy four had great front covers, especially the S/T.
    •  Smockboy25Smockboy25
    • Lol, yeah that is pretty dire!
    •  DonnyDonny
    • Paranoid
      Sabbath Bloody Sabbath

Those are my favourites. Though it's like picking a favourite son/daughter. I love them all. Apart from the dio years. I can take or leave them.
    •  J ParkerJ Parker
    • Master of Reality, no question
    •  EggyEggy
    • I'd have to say Paranoid, although i only have one other so far, Master of Reality.

I have The best of BS, which i've managed with for most of my rocking years. Most of my favourite tracks on that are in fact on Paranoid though. I don't like the Dio years, i generally end up skipping those tracks on the best of cd.
    •  tom.atom.a
    • sabbath bloody sabbath, i fucking love this record.
      after that probably sabotage
    •  mikemike
    • Black Sabbath
      Master of Reality
      Volume 4
      Paranoid
      Sabbath Bloody Sabbath

are the only good ones anyway, the rest can do one.
    •  sabbathfansabbathfan
    • Come off it Mike, Sabotage is a classic.

My top five changes all the time, at the moment it goes like:

Master of Reality
      Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
      Paranoid
      Heaven and Hell
      Vol. 4

but I also think Dehumanizer, Cross Purposes and Born Again are underrated albums. And Mob Rules is another classic.
      [Edited by sabbathfan at 10:20 on 07/12/08]
    •  WillisWillis
    • Sabotage is a good one. The cover is also good. Bill Wards tights/jacket combo.
      For some reason I like Technical ecstacy, but not as much as Never say die.
    •  mikemike
    • Hole In The Sky and Symptom of the Universe are good, the rest isn't.

Non-Ozzy albums to me don't sound like Sabbath, some of the stuff is good but it sounds more like operatic classic rock than SABBATH, they had their own sound with Ozzy, anything else just isn't the same.

However, Ozzys solo stuff might as well have not happened its that bad.
    •  J ParkerJ Parker
    • Willis says:
      Sabotage is a good one. The cover is also good. Bill Wards tights/jacket combo.
      For some reason I like Technical ecstacy, but not as much as Never say die.

Technical Ecstasy IS good - that's got Junior's Eyes on it I think? Underrated as songwriters sometimes. Simplistic, clumsy, hamfisted songwriters, but songwriters all the same..!
    •  Big SiBig Si
    • It's all about Master of Reality.

And this isn't a list thread, people are actually having discussions. It could turn into one, though, you've got to be careful. List threads are the reality TV of forums - no effort to produce and completely mindnumbing.
    •  mikemike
    • But aren't they good? Remember when we listed what food we ate? Wow, memories...
    •  WillisWillis
    • After the freezing cold run, I made up my mind that Technical Ecstacy is my favourite today, although running up a frosty hill into the sun whilst listening to Snowblind was pretty mind blowing. I almost forgot to get out of breath.
      I really like the way Technical Ecstacy and Never say die sound really bloated with too much synth and overdubs.
      Also Rock and Roll Doctor!!! the guitar 'flourish' just before the cowbell knocks in at the beginning is my favourite guitar part ever.
      Does Live Evil count? That has a number of points in its favour:
      Front cover artwork (with awesome font)
      The way every song starts with a bunch of feedback:

'alright, we're going to do a number now called Sweet Leaf' WOOOOOOOOOOOOO der-der der-der-der
    •  WillisWillis
    • [quote=J Parker
      Technical Ecstasy IS good - that's got Junior's Eyes on it I think? Underrated as songwriters sometimes. Simplistic, clumsy, hamfisted songwriters, but songwriters all the same..!

Ha ha! just read the last bit of this!

Junior's Eyes is on Never say die, and it's an awesome song. Weird recording though, it sounds like they hadn't switched on all the mics.

I'm listening to Johnny Blade! what the HELL is going on at the beginning? It's unreal! Ozzy hits his first note bang on.

• [14:48 on 07/12/08]
  • Forums - Music Discussion and Promotion - Your favourite Sabbath album