Menu
    •  OllieOllie
    • In light of Mamba's new found interest in prog, let's give the lad some pointers

Early Genesis from Nursery Crime onwards (the first two albums are a bit shit). The rest of the Peter Gabriel era is all good and even some of the first albums with Pip Collins on the mic ain't bad like Trick Of The Tail.

Peter Gabriel. The early stuff is very cool...kind of dark new wave with a prog touch. The first 3-4 albums are great, all called Peter Gabriel!!!

Yes. Fragile, Close To The Edge and Relayer ain't bad. They're pretty hard going though

King Crimson. Red is the classic and the first one. Starless and Bible Black and Larks Tongues In Aspic are also pretty cool and the live album called USA.

Rush. The earlier albums are pretty heavy in places, bit of a Led Zep vibe. The late 70's stuff is still heavy but a lot more complicated and proggy. The 80's albums aren't bad either though very 80's in sound. Modern stuff is getting progressively heavier.

Carry on folks
    •  cbamber85cbamber85
    • The Mahavishnu Orchestra - so 70s it's painful.
    •  mambamamba
    • I was listening to Red on the way to work as it happens. I like what I've heard so far.
    •  OllieOllie
    • mamba says:
      I was listening to Red on the way to work as it happens. I like what I've heard so far.

very heavy in places, fucking odd in others
    •  basstardbasstard
    • If you can keep a straight face through the yodelling try Focus- Making Waves.

Can't say I like much prog beyond Rush and King Crimson. My old man used to play Emerson Lake and Palmer which made my stomach turn.

A band I'd advise anyone to avoid is Egg; really horrifically pretentious nonsense, even my proggy mate can't handle them.
    •  JackJack
    • Steve Hillage if you like it daft
    •  OllieOllie
    • basstard says:
      If you can keep a straight face through the yodelling try Focus- Making Waves.

Can't say I like much prog beyond Rush and King Crimson. My old man used to play Emerson Lake and Palmer which made my stomach turn.

A band I'd advise anyone to avoid is Egg; really horrifically pretentious nonsense, even my proggy mate can't handle them.

I can't deal with ELP...fucking rubbish!!!
    •  GarethGareth
    • Exciting review coming up if you like prog....
    •  mikemike
    • In The Wake of Posiedon is my fave KC album, but Larks... and Red are incredible too, Larks... has a section which Dillenger Escape Plan stole for their 'radio hit' 43% Burnt.

Rush are also ACE.
    •  PetePete
    • mike says:
      Larks... has a section which Dillenger Escape Plan stole for their 'radio hit' 43% Burnt.

My oven beeps along to 43% Burnt when the timer's up - it goes "beep beep beep beep" (in time with the song) and I reply "duh duh".
    •  mikemike
    • Math metal oven!
    •  GarethGareth
    • Can you program the timer?
    •  mikemike
    • It makes you do calculus first.
    •  bad admiralbad admiral
    • does voivod count here and meshuggah or is that too metal?

i'm a bit rubbish with prog, but diagonal are great and i guess black widow may count under prog...

or am i miles out...

obvs hawkwind or is that space rock?

•  mikemike
    • Prog has been hijacked a bit to include stuff that's just techy-y, prog to me is bearded men in the 70s with funny shirts singing songs about anything, not bespectacled nerds in black shirts playing in 360/11.
    •  OllieOllie
    • I guess Jethro Tull could be classed as prog...one of my favourite bands.
    •  pull-my-plonkerpull-my-plonker
    • bad admiral says:
      does voivod count here and meshuggah or is that too metal?

i'm a bit rubbish with prog, but diagonal are great and i guess black widow may count under prog...

or am i miles out...

Didn't have you down as a Meshuggah fan Rich. I do also concur that they rule with a mighty iron fist. Diagonal are much missed.

Dream Theater anyone? Metal yes, but prog most definitey too.

Rush are the KINGS.
    •  bad admiralbad admiral
    • pull-my-plonker says:
      bad admiral says:
      does voivod count here and meshuggah or is that too metal?

or am i miles out...

Didn't have you down as a Meshuggah fan Rich. I do also concur that they rule with a mighty iron fist. Diagonal are much missed.

Rush are the KINGS.

i'm not.

i'm too thick for prog. all those tricky time signatures and jazz chords scare my simple rural brain.
    •  mikemike
    • pull-my-plonker says:

I just done a sick, Dream Theater are piddle for piddle's sake, there's a difference in my head between prog with some interest to it and progging one off, it's guitar shop musician's music for people who get boners over Dimebag signature guitars and camo guitars, horrible.

i once had a DVD of DT and although technically impressive, I found it bereft of feeling, Portnoy is amazing, but the only thing I've enjoyed was that Liquid Tension Experiment he did a while ago.

Stuff influenced by DT actually sounds good, Behold The Arctpous are mental, doing that whole 'look at me' thing but with some aesthetics and theme, DT just seem to be a showcase for the individuals in the band to show off their dexterity and their shiny equipment, give me a crap crust band who can hardly play but mean every note anyway.

Ranting now.
      [Edited by Pete at 05:01 on 28/04/12]
    •  basstardbasstard
    • mike says:
      pull-my-plonker says:

I just done a sick, Dream Theater are piddle for piddle's sake, there's a difference in my head between prog with some interest to it and progging one off, it's guitar shop musician's music for people who get boners over Dimebag signature guitars and camo guitars, horrible.

i once had a DVD of DT and although technically impressive, I found it bereft of feeling, Portnoy is amazing, but the only thing I've enjoyed was that Liquid Tension Experiment he did a while ago.

Stuff influenced by DT actually sounds good, Behold The Arctpous are mental, doing that whole 'look at me' thing but with some aesthetics and theme, DT just seem to be a showcase for the individuals in the band to show off their dexterity and their shiny equipment, give me a crap crust band who can hardly play but mean every note anyway.

Ranting now.

Amen to that. Dream Theater eat anus.

Forums - Music Discussion and Promotion - Prog