Menu

Forums - General Chat

[Locked] March Recently Watched Thread...

•  Tino InsanaTino Insana
    • 'you know, you see em in the supermarkets, walking along the banister'

Pissing myself thinking of that scene and how long he draws it out. I'll have to catch up with it myself, bloody good so far.

Thing is, no matter how good I find it, it's on the BBC and the vast majority of people just won't understand it, which means rating won't be high, which means it'll only last one series. Just like Bill Bailey and Peter Serafenowicz, which were both amazing.
    •  Big SiBig Si
    • Peter Serafinowicz? Really? His show was godawful, it barely merited a second show let alone another series. Bad impressions and bad jokes.
      Spot on about the Bill Bailey show. Never been repeated, never released on VHS or DVD. Shocking, especially given his current fame.

Stewart Lee was reasonably amusing, but I found his delivery tiresome after a while. My reaction was generally, "good point, well made, where's the laugh?". His subject matter isn't deep enough to get away with the "making a serious point so doesn't need to be hilarious" thing.
    • Big Si says:
      Peter Serafinowicz? Really? His show was godawful, it barely merited a second show let alone another series. Bad impressions and bad jokes.

I really liked it, could be a little thin at times but there was some real quality on there. It was nice to see a sketch show that wasn't really smash and grab with the (attempted) laughs.

I can totally see how Stuart Lee's delivery can seem grating to some people, but it has the opposite effect to me. It's so slow it's like you can see/hear the cogs in his head turning and then forcefully making his point/joke, like he's winding it up to fling it at you... that's honestly the best I can explain that? ugh
    •  BenBen
    • I love the delivery! I don't know why, at first it's like 'I get it yeah' then a middle bit of 'hmm, he's going on a bit' then all of a sudden it's all I can do to stop laughing very loudly at the TV. My only criticism of the show is that the sketch bits are weak and could be left out easily.
    •  Smockboy25Smockboy25
    • Big Si says:
      Spot on about the Bill Bailey show. Never been repeated, never released on VHS or DVD. Shocking, especially given his current fame.

Bill Bailey's show was great, starnge never released though. There are torrents about so it can be found.
    •  EggyEggy
    • LVK never made me actually LOL while i was watching it and it is quite predictable. Not really worth paying to go watch it, although there are a few hot chicks in it which kind of makes it worthwhile. It was more a spur of the moment thing and that was the last film showing by the time we got there at 9.15. Having said that there's a fair few comedies that just aren't my kind of humour, these are usually american ones and i'd rather see something like LVK than see them. Nowhere near as good as Shaun of the Dead, as there isn't enough substance to it.

As for Horne and Corden, as with most comedies i'm late getting into them, it's only this last week when i've started watching their stuff, after seeing them on the top gear episode and their latest H&C episode. I haven't even seen one episode of Gavin and Stacey.

One thing i do want to see is Ed Bryne at the winding wheel in a couple of weeks time, my mate's supposed to be sorting tickets out but i just don't trust that he's going to do this.
    •  EggyEggy
    • for fucks sake, just got a text from my mate to say he's booked 4 tickets and he hasn't got me one, which i was slightly disappointed to hear, however...

I've also just checked to see what footy is happening that day and we're away at macclesfield - the only away match left that i've been planning on going to for months. Why does everything have to collide with something else i want to do. :(
    •  EggyEggy
    • Technically though it is quite do-able, finish work friday morning, sleep, drive to macca, watch the match, then drive straight to chessy as the gig doesn't start til 7.30 according to the website so should leave plenty of time as macca is a fair bit closer than Manchester. So that's one issue that isn't as bad as first thought.
    •  MazzMazz
    • I watched CLOUGH when I got back from rocking last night.
    •  mambamamba
    • Gareth says:
      Yellowstone national park, the latter containing bear cubs.

I watched this last night. Quite good if you like that sort of thing.
    •  EggyEggy
    • Mazz says:
      I watched CLOUGH when I got back from rocking last night.

I watched that too, after i'd spent about 30 minutes staring at our level table after an impressive win at home to rochdale.

It was good to hear Mrs Clough's verdict on 'The Damned United'. I saw that the book is much better than the film, but given the ficticous content i think i'll pass on reading the book.

Fact: many of the match scenes in the film were filmed at Saltergate as our ground has barely changed since the 70's so didn't need much of a makeover.
    •  ChrisCChrisC
    • Did anyone catch Charlie Brookers News Wipe? He just seems to get better and better. Its on iplayer if you missed it.
    •  BenBen
    • Yeah Newswipe was pretty good. Definitely worth a watch.
    •  Big SiBig Si
    • Eggy says:
      It was good to hear Mrs Clough's verdict on 'The Damned United'. I saw that the book is much better than the film, but given the ficticous content i think i'll pass on reading the book.

Erm, it's a novel, not a biography, of course it has fictitious content. That's hardly a criticism. However far from the truth it is, it's a great read.
    • What the family were saying about the book was justified, a dead man can't defend himself. But later on in the programme they proceeded to describe just the kind of thing the book was talking about... moods, dark thoughts, introversion etc...

Just a thought
    • Lots of the IT crowd
      Catching up on Red Riding.. slowly
      Watched Gangs of New York last night, pretty good.
      Yellowstone
      Nature's Great Events (I never want to stop hearing Attenborough on nature docs)
    •  Big SiBig Si
    • Tino Insana says:
      What the family were saying about the book was justified, a dead man can't defend himself. But later on in the programme they proceeded to describe just the kind of thing the book was talking about... moods, dark thoughts, introversion etc...

Just a thought

And a good thought. I don't think the book makes Clough look bad, it just makes him seem human.
    •  LaddethLaddeth
    • Tino Insana says:

That film started ok but went on for far to long and I forgot why they were all fighting each other
    •  BenBen
    • Laddeth says:
      Tino Insana says:

That film started ok but went on for far to long and I forgot why they were all fighting each other

I like the way Daniel Day Lewis sounds like Kinky John from Baron's Nighclub.
    •  CareyCarey
    • Tino Insana says:

Yellowstone

Yay! Awesome stuff.

I liked Newswipe very much too.

Forums - General Chat - [Locked] March Recently Watched Thread...