Menu

Forums - General Chat

London advice please.

•  mikemike
    • Right, I'm taking Linda there for her birthday, a Friday and Saturday night, staying near Tower Bridge, got the place to stay and travel sorted and paid for, just need some reccomendations on stuff to do.

Baring in mind she has only been down before to go to the theatre or an art gallery, wheres essential, and preferably cheap?

I'm thinking-

Tate Modern
      Tea and Coffee Museum nearby
      Covent Garden
      Soho
      Maybe Brick Lane
      Camden

Wheres good to eat? Where are the fabled Sam Smiths pubs? What time does the tube run til? I'm confused.
    •  mikemike
    • Oh and she never looks on here, so please don't mention it, she doesn't know shes going.
    •  DonnyDonny
    • Can't help with much of that. Lived here for 8 years, only been out the house twice.

Sam Smiths pub I can help with. Glass House Stores: Soho, 55 Brewers Street.

love this pub
      [Edited by Donny at 19:13 on 06/02/09]
    •  HopkinsHopkins
    • Imperial War Museum
    •  alanalan
    • I went in a pub called The Angel, or Old Angel, something like that. Near the British Museum I think. They sold Sam Smith's. Nice little place.
    •  JenTheHenJenTheHen
    • Do you want to borrow my Rough Guide to London?
    •  noonenoone
    • don't you like her or something?
    •  LaddethLaddeth
    • Depending when you go, something decent might be on at the Barbican
    •  mikemike
    • ultimatekev says:
      don't you like her or something?

Haha!

"Go to London, you'll either be mugged or not appreciated, the 12.19 to Kings Cross, calling at Bitterness, Resentment and Shattered Dreams Parkway".
    •  bitterandtwistedbitterandtwisted
    • Deffo afternoon tea at Fortnum & Mason on Picadilly, it's lovely.

There's practically nowhere to eat cheap but Brick Lane is fab for cheapish Indian food.

Mostly, the last tubes reach their destinations at about half past midnight or so but the night buses run all night (surprise, surprise) and if you're staying near the Tower of London it should be a piece of cake getting back there. The Transport For London website is pretty handy for working out your routes around the place: tfl.gov.uk

[Edited by bitterandtwisted at 23:21 on 06/02/09]
    •  sabbathfansabbathfan
    • mike says:
      Right, I'm taking Linda there for her birthday, a Friday and Saturday night, staying near Tower Bridge, got the place to stay and travel sorted and paid for, just need some reccomendations on stuff to do.

Baring in mind she has only been down before to go to the theatre or an art gallery, wheres essential, and preferably cheap?

I'm thinking-

Tate Modern
      Covent Garden
      Soho
      Maybe Brick Lane
      Camden

Wheres good to eat? Where are the fabled Sam Smiths pubs? What time does the tube run til? I'm confused.

Camden is OK but there is a lot of tat being sold there too. Soho is fine and Berwick Street still has Sister Ray, Reckless Records and a Music and Video Exchange on it. Good Irish pub near Soho Square called The Toucan as well. Also try the Crobar just off Tottenham Court Road. Small but I like it a lot. There's also a massive secondhand CD/DVD place between Soho and Piccadilly Circus somewhere which is worth a look and open late, can't remember the name of it though.

Most museums are free. British Museum is near Tottenham Court Road, National Gallery is on Trafalgar Square, Imperial War Museum is worth a visit but can't remember exactly where it is. Other museums such as the Sir John Soanes museum [spelling?] are worth a look as well. Also HMS Belfast and Tower of London. For other arts centres, try the Barbican complex in the City [square mile] area as this has some good stuff on and is a nice place to go generally.

Pubs: apart from the two in Soho I mentioned I don't really know any but just south of Tower Bridge is a wine bar type place which serves Adnams [very very very very good Suffolk beer] on handpump, this is a great place to visit.

Not sure on places to eat, but be prepared to pay a bit in Central London I'd reckon.

•  noonenoone
    • sabbathfan says:
      mike says:
      Right, I'm taking Linda there for her birthday, a Friday and Saturday night, staying near Tower Bridge, got the place to stay and travel sorted and paid for, just need some reccomendations on stuff to do.

I'm thinking-

Tate Modern
      Covent Garden
      Soho
      Maybe Brick Lane
      Camden

Camden is OK but there is a lot of tat being sold there too. Soho is fine and Berwick Street still has Sister Ray, Reckless Records and a Music and Video Exchange on it. Good Irish pub near Soho Square called The Toucan as well. Also try the Crobar just off Tottenham Court Road. Small but I like it a lot. There's also a massive secondhand CD/DVD place between Soho and Piccadilly Circus somewhere which is worth a look and open late, can't remember the name of it though.

Most museums are free. British Museum is near Tottenham Court Road, National Gallery is on Trafalgar Square, Imperial War Museum is worth a visit but can't remember exactly where it is. Other museums such as the Sir John Soanes museum [spelling?] are worth a look as well. Also HMS Belfast and Tower of London. For other arts centres, try the Barbican complex in the City [square mile] area as this has some good stuff on and is a nice place to go generally.

Pubs: apart from the two in Soho I mentioned I don't really know any but just south of Tower Bridge is a wine bar type place which serves Adnams [very very very very good Suffolk beer] on handpump, this is a great place to visit.

Not sure on places to eat, but be prepared to pay a bit in Central London I'd reckon.

'' right and that'll bring me out at London station will it? ''

http://www.lofg.com/specialstuff/images/characters/geoffti.jpg
    •  J ParkerJ Parker
    • Second the Tower of London - those Beefeaters give good tour.

Also Brick Lane for curries. Avoid the trendy wankers seemingly everywhere.

Try Holland Park, Notting Hill or Highgate if you want to just wander around somewhere posh. Sadly the bits of London which aren't posh tend to be shit.

Camden is shit.

Highgate Cemetery is probably the best trip out I've had in London for ages!
    •  mikemike
    • I've been to Brick Lane, although people have said not to bother with the curries there? Where else is good?
    •  J ParkerJ Parker
    • St James' Park
      Little arcades off Picadilly eg Burlington Arcade
      Pubs, the Flask in Highgate is one of the best, maybe full of tools though
      Few pubs/eateries around Old Street that are OK.
      Covent Garden hit and miss, very touristy, I quite like Belgo restaurant for steak and chips plus 300 Belgian beers.
      John Soane Museum
      Natural History Museum

•  ms tinnitusms tinnitus
    • Do you know which side of Tower Bridge you're staying? South ie. near London Bridge, or North, near the actual Tower of London?
      If South, there is a very good Sam Smith's pub practically at the foot of Tower Bridge called the Anchor Tap, and I would highly recommend a walk through Borough Market (10 min from Tower Bridge, toward London Bridge) - a couple of good pubs around there too. Most famouse being the Market Porter (good selection of Ales, but very busy...always).
      It's a nice (about 15 min) walk from Borough Market along the River to the Tate Modern, and then you can either cont along the same side of the River to the South Bank (good second hand book fair) or from the Tate Modern cross the bridge to St Paul's.

Use the Beer in the Evening search engine for good pubs - it is trustworthy.

There is actually still a handful of cheap eateries around, try the Stockpot in Soho (there is one in Soho and one in Covent Garden) very reasonable.

www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/s/74/7438/Anchor_Tap/Tower_Bridge

[Edited by ms tinnitus at 13:14 on 07/02/09]
    •  Tim HolehouseTim Holehouse
    • London dugeons are awesome... not far from where your staying... Curry in brick lane always a winner...
    •  JenTheHenJenTheHen
    • Tim Holehouse says:
      London dugeons are awesome... not far from where your staying... Curry in brick lane always a winner...

Not true. The curry I had in Brick Lane was awful. Really salty and more of a stew than a curry.

Ferdy says it's a no-go too.

It's tourist curry.
    •  mikemike
    • Where is good then?

Don't say Bradford.
    •  JenTheHenJenTheHen
    • For curry in London?

I don't really know in all honesty.

NOT the place opposite Ferdy's flat.
      [Edited by JenTheHen at 20:41 on 07/02/09]

Forums - General Chat - London advice please.