Menu

Forums - Music Discussion and Promotion

The awesome venues thread

•  JenTheHenJenTheHen
    • I agree with Pete. As soon as the Grapes went over £50 (which I thought was expensive but worth having a sound guy etc) it became silly prices.
    •  DonnyDonny
    • Jack Dickinson says:

The Junction Bristol- Minus the absolutely terrible toilet this venue has a cool DIY charm to it

Apparantly it's on the way out though... having to do a load of benefit gigs to keep it going.

I had to sleep on the floor in there. THE FLOOR. THE ONE WITH THE CARPET NEXT TO THE STAGE!

I think that's why I'm ill.
    •  slack mammothslack mammoth
    • Jack Dickinson says:

The Junction Bristol- Minus the absolutely terrible toilet this venue has a cool DIY charm to it

I fucking loved that place. Used to get a lot of death metal, punk and sludge gigs in there. Free to use, wicked owner, good vibe. I'm glad it reopened.

I love the Old Angel as well. Sound man when Witchsorrow played there was great.
    •  bad admiralbad admiral
    • Jack Dickinson says:

i openly wept when i heard this venue was possibly on the slide. this place is amazing and bob the proprieter is sound as fuck.

other awesome venues include:

bird's nest in deptford.
      lark in the park in islington.
      harlow square in harlow.
      ferryboat in norwich.
      half moon in stortford.
      marquee in norwich.

and i know this is a bit of a cheat but the best place i've ever played was a cambridge uni may ball. tickets were going for £400 but we got in for free. there were magicians, snake charmers, massuesses, a camel wandering around, free beer, free wine, free champagne, free food, free energy drinks that came in glass hand grenades, fit posh girls looking for a bit of norfolk rough, british sea power were playing, ice sculptures, fairground rides, monkeys.

truth.
    •  PodgePodge
    • 1) Boardwalk - Nice long running venue but not in our bracket
      2) Grapes - OK, was better but that might just be nostalgia
      3) Harley - its ok but only for mainstream indie
      4) West st Live - RUBBISH sound, rubbish turnout
      5) Dove n Rainbow - oldone closed, new one grot hole
      6) Casbah - Closing 10th September, its 80s reputation masks its 2000+ hellhole
      7) Cremorne - No live licence
      8) New Barrack Tavern - i dont know where this is, though it sounds familiar
      10) Leadmill - Excellent long running venue[/quote]

the problem for 9hz in sheffield is that we are a really small minority that cant fight off the popular indie invasion. hence we have to settle for 2nd or 3rd best
    •  tom.atom.a
    • Podge says:

the problem for 9hz in sheffield is that we are a really small minority that cant fight off the popular indie invasion. hence we have to settle for 2nd or 3rd best

simple answer to that one we start booking indie bands on the bills to fill the numbers on the door then we just push the bands down the stairs thus we win on two counts. 1 we increase the door profits for 9hz allowing to pull in bigger acts and 2 we reduce the number of crap indie bands in sheffield.

or we all just accept failure and move city.
    •  DonnyDonny
    • Podge says:

6) Casbah - Closing 10th September, its 80s reputation masks its 2000+ hellhole

Got some good footage of the soundguy talking nonsense to lesbian. Sadly I didn't get him doing 'question and answer' with the two guitarists. Had to be seen to be believed.

Oh and we got such a bollocking from the manager for bringing a fleck of paint off the wall with the shirts. Then we found out it's being fucking knocked down in a few months. Horrible place.
    •  mikemike
    • Haha, what was the question and answer session?
    •  Amy BAmy B
    • Podge says:

8) New Barrack Tavern - i dont know where this is, though it sounds familiar

it's near hillsborough barracks on penistone rd.
    •  DonnyDonny
    • mike says:

Haha, what was the question and answer session?

During soundcheck:
      "Right, I want you to do a little something for me called question and answer. Right hand side guitarist, I want you to play a 5 second guitar lick in the form of a question. Left hand side guitarist, I want you to play a five second guitar lick after his... in the form of an answer. Keep doing that for me while I work out the levels!"

Another gem (and one I got on camera) was:

Lesbian singer: "why are the monitors squealing like that, and why do I have reverb, I don't really need any"

Sound Engineer (quite matter of factly): I'm running everything through the reverb channel in order to give you more volume. That's why you can't hear anything in the monitors. If I turn them up any higher, THIS happens (turns the voulme up full causing the monitors to feed back and deafening everyone onstage)."
    •  mikemike
    • Awesome.
    •  tom.atom.a
    • it wasnt marcus doing the sound was it by any chance that day?
    •  DonnyDonny
    • tom.a says:

it wasnt marcus doing the sound was it by any chance that day?

Little squat guy, pony tail. Looks like one of the fat bad guys from final fight.
    •  tom.atom.a
    • yeah thats marcus
    •  slomoslomo
    • wow.
    •  AlecAlec
    • is the casbah getting knocked down soon then? another venue gone! hopefully the red house will still be good for small gigs (ones i'd like to be doing anyway). cant say im a massive fan of the casbah (horrible sound, always seems to be at least half empty) but one less venue sucks
    •  CareyCarey
    • as far as the grapes being free goes - when i used to put on gigs there with the old landlord when you did your own sound, it was £25 normal and a tenner for us cause he loved us. that's damn near free...
    •  PodgePodge
    • marcus is shit
    •  Tom PTom P
    • That the Bill Bailey lookalike? I found the sound to be a bit tinny both times we played there, dissapointing
    •  PodgePodge
    • Tinny? Tinny? you cant call Slayer Tinny.

he forgot to turn the vocal mic up once, and was too busy squatting between the crowd that by the time he made it back to the desk the song had finished.

Forums - Music Discussion and Promotion - The awesome venues thread