Menu

Forums - General Chat

Scene kids

•  PodgePodge
    • he was a prat but at least he was open to it. the amount of people who just go "but you cant really sing along can you?" astonishes me.

its partly why i now try to refer to Tom and my music as tracks, not songs
    •  CareyCarey
    • you refer to tom as tracks? that must get very confusing.
    •  PodgePodge
    • ya not funny.
    •  tom.atom.a
    • they can still be described as songs they just dont have any words to them.
    •  fredfred
    • mike says:

I'm always amazed when people haven't heard of BLACK SABBATH if they haven't I know not to talk music with them. I have learnt to also not mention I'm in a band around older people, usual comments-

"Ooh, remember us when you are famous!"

"Ohhhhh, have you got groupies?"

"OOOOOOOOOOOOOOH, sing something!"

"OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH do you sound like the kinks?"

I just despair in these situations.

Vik's grandad used to find it HILARIOUS that Flatlands went on tours. He used to ask if Mick Jagger was driving us.

•  Rob HimselfRob Himself
    • I got this when I did my February tour - I work with middle aged women and they all said 'so, famous yet?' when I got back. I had to explain that 3 open mic slots, 2 house shows and 1 actual gig do not a pop star make.
    •  GrymGrym
    • See, I tend to go for the exact opposite to most of you when asked what music you like/play and just combine sub genres to the extreme.

"So, what music are you into."

"Grinding blackened industrial stoner sludge punk"

"???"

Then just roll your eyes and walk away. Elitism FTW! ;)
    •  grinderno1grinderno1
    • ha ha yeah as i said, that's my 'pass the time by upsetting pretentious wannabe muso's' option 2... :D
    •  mambamamba
    • More quality journalism from the Mail

quote:
      Only after her death would they discover how she had secretly chatted online to emo followers all over the world, talking about death and of the "black parade" — a place where emos believe they go after they die.

Is this true? I really am out of touch.
    •  slack mammothslack mammoth
    • What's funny is, when MCR released Teenagers as single, the entire front cover was white text on a black background about how violence/suicide isn't the answer.etc, and the Daily Mail STILL tried to hang them for it.
    •  LaddethLaddeth
    • mamba says:

More quality journalism from the Mail

quote:
      Only after her death would they discover how she had secretly chatted online to emo followers all over the world, talking about death and of the "black parade" — a place where emos believe they go after they die.

I thought that exact same thing.
      We need a pet Emo to bounce questions off
    •  bad admiralbad admiral
    • Laddeth says:

mamba says:

More quality journalism from the Mail

quote:

I thought that exact same thing.
      We need a pet Emo to bounce questions off

i have a 15 year old sister who helps me relate to young people through her barrage of myspace bulletins...if i still spoke to her, i'd find out.
    •  noonenoone
    • when I was 13 my main interests were mega-drive and Warhammer but if I'd known what it was going to be like being 28 I probably would have killed myself.
    •  J ParkerJ Parker
    • Podge says:

considering we listen to a style of music called Doom, we seem a quite well adjusted bunch.

I always think it's like rugby - nice, polite (not necessarily posh) people, listening to nasty music cos it provides a release. The emos spend all their time fetishing about death cos its trendy (more Marilyn Manson than Mineral!) therefore the music they like is actually melodic and upbeat cos thats the void in their life?
    •  Rob SmithRob Smith
    • Laddeth says:

the loveable rogue of the department

That's my mantle! & they would, i've already done all the ground work for you.
    •  LaddethLaddeth
    • Rob Smith says:

Laddeth says:

the loveable rogue of the department

That's my mantle! & they would, i've already done all the ground work for you.

You forget, 3/4's of the department are new since you left
    •  HopkinsHopkins
    • ultimatekev says:

when I was 13 my main interests were mega-drive and Warhammer but if I'd known what it was going to be like being 28 I probably would have killed myself.

I bet there's a few teenage warhammer fans on here ...
    •  LaddethLaddeth
    • Hopkins says:

ultimatekev says:

when I was 13 my main interests were mega-drive and Warhammer but if I'd known what it was going to be like being 28 I probably would have killed myself.

I bet there's a few teenage warhammer fans on here ...

*Raises hand*
    •  GarethGareth
    • Rob Himself says:

I got this when I did my February tour - I work with middle aged women and they all said 'so, famous yet?' when I got back. I had to explain that 3 open mic slots, 2 house shows and 1 actual gig do not a pop star make.

I hate the "what bands do you sound like I might have heard of?" question. Black Sabbath is all I ever come up with, and it's not even close.
    •  Mark MontanaMark Montana
    • Good thread!

I always say we sound like across between Coldplay and Metallica.

Theres this one woman i work who thinks she knows about heavier music because she liked a Rammstein song once. urgh

Forums - General Chat - Scene kids