Menu

Forums - General Chat

Scene kids

•  Tom PTom P
    • I agree. I don't even try to converse with people on music unless I know they know what they're talking about beforehand. When you tell someone you like heavy metal (because you don't even want to mention sludge/doom etc as they won't have a clue) and they say, "oh you mean like Slipknot and Green Day?"... that's what makes me depressed.
    •  PodgePodge
    • i once said i was trying to get into dub, they asked what that was, i said it was a bit ska, a bit reggae, they said "what? like less than jake and UB40?"

i just said yes to save a 2 hour pointless argument.
    •  Tom PTom P
    • People just don't give a shit what goes in their ears
    •  PodgePodge
    • this was with a kid who is listening to Linkin park (and he doesn't know what metal is, take that how you will) and a girl who calls kids emos and gothics.
    •  noonenoone
    • much as I enjoy living in Yorkshire the ' pig-shit-thick to standard level of intelligence ' ratio amongst people is very unfairly balanced in favour of the thickies.
      cue abuse from staunch yorkshiremen.
    •  AlecAlec
    • "if its not from yorkshire, its shite" - best phrase ever. from what i've seen of yorkshire and yorkshiremen i've loved, lovely genuine people (its pretty different down south, at least in brighton) - but then again i've only really met people in the scene here, so i guess i've only seen a small section
    •  LaddethLaddeth
    • Podge says:

i once said i was trying to get into dub, they asked what that was, i said it was a bit ska, a bit reggae, they said "what? like less than jake and UB40?"

i just said yes to save a 2 hour pointless argument.

Thats like when people at work ask me what music I like.
      I just say "rock" and if pushed "heavy rock"
      I think if I went off on one about stoner/doom they would disown me and I would no longer be the loveable rogue of the department
    •  CareyCarey
    • i HATE people who wear a good band t-shirt when they barely know the band. i've come to expect it from 17 year old girls but men in their 30s should know better.
    •  grinderno1grinderno1
    • i'm with laddeth on this one, i to just say 'rock music' and then walk away immediately.

i find if you say 'metal' to a complete non-rock fan they think you mean Iron Maiden and middle of the road rock fans think you mean Pantera. I just can't stand it and have to say 'no coz they're fucking shit' and that then leaves you wide open for the 'well then what bands DO you like?' pandoras box.

i think the best one is still when you get someone who reckons they know a bit and when you say 'you probably wouldn't know most of the stuff i listen to coz it's all kinda niché stuff' they say 'oh go on try me, i listen to loads of underground stuff' only to be left feeling very foolish and more than a little baffled after you rifle of a 5 minute list of genres and band names that they're forced to admit 'oh you're right, i really HAVEN'T heard of any of those!'. :D
    •  CareyCarey
    • my dad used to try that on me at christmas. he gave up asking when i was fourteen.
    •  mikemike
    • I'm always amazed when people haven't heard of BLACK SABBATH if they haven't I know not to talk music with them. I have learnt to also not mention I'm in a band around older people, usual comments-

"Ooh, remember us when you are famous!"

"Ohhhhh, have you got groupies?"

"OOOOOOOOOOOOOOH, sing something!"

"OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH do you sound like the kinks?"

I just despair in these situations.
    •  tom.atom.a
    • mike says:

"OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH do you sound like the kinks?"

I just despair in these situations.

for a while the sheffield version of this was oh your in a band like the arctic monkeys.

•  mikemike
    • WILL YOU BE ON TOP OF THE POPS SOON?:):)
    •  tom.atom.a
    • no because it got canned cus nobody watched it hahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahaha
    •  mikemike
    • Haha.

Some of my ex work-collegues came to that Flatlands gig at the grapes with DOHM and the others, apprently one of them described my vocals as "he opened his mouth and this sound came out!?!?!?!?!?!?!??"
    •  CareyCarey
    • heh heh. dirty blood used to be great for dragging confused workmates down to ninehertz gigs. they found toner low particularly confusing. one guy actually grabbed me and said "is this ALL they're gonna do?" i don't think he understood riffs as a concept.
    •  Tom PTom P
    • Carey says:

heh heh. dirty blood used to be great for dragging confused workmates down to ninehertz gigs. they found toner low particularly confusing. one guy actually grabbed me and said "is this ALL they're gonna do?" i don't think he understood riffs as a concept.

That's fucking awesome. We're getting incredible kicks from things they'll never know.
    •  grinderno1grinderno1
    • mike says:

"OOOOOOOOOOOOOOH, sing something!"

dude seriously, next time someone asks that just do it. full volume right there in the middle of the street/office/pub/whatever.

then get one of the boys to video it so we can all enjoy the moment.
    •  PodgePodge
    • Carey says:
      heh heh. dirty blood used to be great for dragging confused workmates down to ninehertz gigs. they found toner low particularly confusing. one guy actually grabbed me and said "is this ALL they're gonna do?" i don't think he understood riffs as a concept.

was that the one who had a leather jacket and said things along the lines of "i cant decide if its rubbish or genius" and "i don't like it but i'm enjoying it" and also who Damo had a massive go at because he said he liked mainstream indie?
    •  CareyCarey
    • yeah. i forgot he talked to you as well.

Forums - General Chat - Scene kids