Menu
    •  JackJack
    • it'll toughen up, wilcos is amazing, such a weird shop
    •  PodgePodge
    • ok, now we've got you kinda sorted with the mechanics of the bike, we need to sort you with the fit of the bike.

your seat should be roughly level. mine points up ever so slightly as this tips me back onto my sit bones.

now put your heel on the pedal, line the crank up with the seat tube and set the seat hight so that you have no bend in your leg. this means that when you pedal with the ball of your foot (the most effective area) you should have a slight kink in your leg.

lastly when the pedals are level you should move your seat forwards and backwards so that your knee is above the pedal.

that's the best place to start, minor alterations from that should give you a comfy and productive ride position.
    •  HopkinsHopkins
    • anything that makes the ride comfier and feel less like I've been bummed is a bonus

muchos gracias
    •  PodgePodge
    • you could just learn to stand up over the potholes. running your tyres at a lower pressure helps too but also increases the risk of getting punctures.
    •  GarethGareth
    • You get used to it, the first week for me was terrible, I got and promptly lost a gel saddle cover but it was fine after a week or so.
    •  JackJack
    • No pain no gain
    •  PodgePodge
    • jack, you got any flat pedals floating around? i need some for the bmix
    •  JackJack
    • nope sorry, both of my sets are in use at the moment. Have a look at the plastic pedals they make for bmx now, pretty cool
    •  PodgePodge
    • cool but fairly expensive
    •  JackJack
    • can get them for about £15 with metal pins, nice and light
    •  PodgePodge
    • really? i must have been looking in the wrong place. i'll get on that.
    •  PodgePodge
    • cheers fella, just trying to work out if i should use my old bmx cranks or some lighter ones. it already weighs a ton
    •  FalconstoneFalconstone
    • seems I'm a little late to this thread... I get the impression you're all bmxers? any roadies out there?
    •  PodgePodge
    • I don't own a working bmx or road bike
    •  JackJack
    • I have a bmx and a mountain bike
    •  WickedWesticleWickedWesticle
    • I have a moutain bike. I ride it in my front room.

How much would a rear wheel cost? no tyre, just the wheel.
    •  JackJack
    • Depends completly on what you want, have a look on pinkbike.com in the for sale bit, can get second hand good wheels. For a wheel like I use looking at £100 + but I use downhill wheels for strength. You need to look at cross country wheels
    •  JackJack
    • Air shot

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v236/fuzzrockerrock/n515352671_1058973_5872.jpg
    •  mambamamba
    • I'm thinking I might go for a quick ride tonight. Only problems are that I need to find my lights and need to buy a pump as my tyres are flat.

Forums - General Chat - bikes