Menu

Forums - General Chat

New Site

•  CareyCarey
    • Big Si says:
      I think Grym makes very good points, and dismiss his remarks as pointless trolling kind of removes the whole point of asking for feedback.

who did that? i for one found his comments very interesting, especially as he designed the key logo which we use to represent us EVERYWHERE.

as i said later in the thread, i have no issue whatsoever with specific criticisms, and i think all of us editors are fully aware that we have a long way to go with the site yet.
    •  PodgePodge
    • Ben says:
      a load of stuff
      Ben, i thought you were unflappable.

i'm a perfectionist when other people have to do the work, for example the green of the ninehertz logo and the green of the main menu are 1 shade different, plus some times the main menu is a couple of pixels to the right longer than the logo meaning there is a little step in the site

I've got used to the site, just checked out the BBC and totally see what Amy means, only difference there is that they have so much more going on so ALL the space is used. 9hz just doesnt have the turnover of information so its difficult. plus as this got narrower, facebook got wider, and i find that much harder now. i know people (by people i mean me) have suggested previously things that could fill the left and right sides but they have not been launced, dunno if thats due, or if its been scrapped, but i'm not building the site so its not my choice.

i also just used the way back machine to look at the old site and it really does look clustered and busy. this site looks like its had a wash and come out clean.

as I've said, once the last of the bugs are fixed and a few tweaks here and there are finished, its going to be a far better site.

i think what bothers me is the tone of some people's posts. OK, maybe i'm reading them wrong but its not difficult to be polite, i know, i did it once.
    •  EggyEggy
    • I can't get used to the new facebook layout at all, i've tried but i've gone back to the old style. Last fm has recently changed to, at the moment i think that is for the worst but like ninehertz the inital layout of the site has been pretty much the same for years and there a few issues that needed dealing with. A lot of people are slating the new last fm look, and that too has many bugs on it that still need sorting out.

As with this site i quite like the colour scheme, however it looks more light biege to my eyes especially at the side of the green, like a army/camo type affair [are my eyes that bad, shit!], and i'd expect that in due course other colours can be chosen like with the old site, maybe off white would be better than proper white, it doesn't look so untouched.

I don't mind space, it's alot better than clutter than many sites have whereby it takes an age to load each page, especially on a computer like mine that takes longer to load up as it gets older. As with most other sites they gradually improve once they have been in use a while.

Yesterday i was searching for something on the forum but the results seemed to be just in the main site, does the search engine search the forum or was i just unlucky in my results (i was searching for clutch's up and coming tour). I did think at the time would it be better if there were too search engine thingys one for the forum and one for the main site, but maybe that isn't really required.

Also do threads on this forum get deleted after 3 months like on the old one or has that changed now?
    •  JenTheHenJenTheHen
    • Eggy says:

Also do threads on this forum get deleted after 3 months like on the old one or has that changed now?

Good question.

I made no secret of the fact that I found the old site to be hideous so I am overjoyed with the new site. I like websites to be less cluttered and am enjoying the lots of white space (I think I'm on my own in this though....rough).

I think it's totally awesome and I also love how you get sent back to the main 9hz page when you log out.

I would quite like a feature so I can change the colour scheme as I love a bit of brown in a webpage.

[Edited by JenTheHen at 06:57 on 08/08/08]
    •  PodgePodge
    • JenTheHen says:
      I would quite like a feature so I can change the colour scheme as I love a bit of brown in a webpage.

bit like your cords then?
    •  JenTheHenJenTheHen
    • Podge says:
      JenTheHen says:

bit like your cords then?

Very well done for resisting!
    •  BenBen
    • Eggy says:
      ...does the search engine search the forum...

No, not at the moment. It will do some point soon, once the more major bugs have been cleared.

Eggy says:

They will do but I haven't written that part yet. Although thinking about it the main reason we did that was because the hosting we had at the time only let us have a certain amount of space for the database, so I wrote the script to trim it down so we wouldn't go over it. Nowadays we have a lot more space and control over the hosting so we could probably get away without it for now. That said, the less that's in a database the faster it will be so there's arguments for and against.

Regarding Podge's suggestions for filling the space, we will look into this but at the moment our priority is to get the bugs out of the way before we look at more cool stuff like that.
    •  LaddethLaddeth
    • How about a ninehertz radio kinda like they have on UKNova
      If there was maybe a track (or part of a track) from a reviewed release it would be cool. cos then we could hear some of what the band are like before we part with hard earned cash.
      Yes I know bands have myspace's with their tracks on and whatnot but I dont have time to endlessley research every new band.
      [Edited by Laddeth at 08:55 on 08/08/08]
    •  HopkinsHopkins
    • Laddeth says:
      How about a ninehertz radio kinda like they have on UKNova

I think this was mentioned before, but you have copyright and publishing issues
    •  LaddethLaddeth
    • Damn you copyright law! *shakes fist*
    •  OllieOllie
    • On an aside I'd like to see the tracks on the Ninehertz Myspace page get updated a little more regularly, maybe once a month to reflect upcoming gigs or stuff that's been reviewed or just bands linked to Ninehertz.

Nowt to do with this site though.
    •  mambamamba
    • Ollie says:
      On an aside I'd like to see the tracks on the Ninehertz Myspace page get updated a little more regularly, maybe once a month to reflect upcoming gigs or stuff that's been reviewed or just bands linked to Ninehertz.

Yep, that'd be my fault. I'm lazy. :blush:
    •  OllieOllie
    • mamba says:
      Ollie says:
      On an aside I'd like to see the tracks on the Ninehertz Myspace page get updated a little more regularly, maybe once a month to reflect upcoming gigs or stuff that's been reviewed or just bands linked to Ninehertz.

Yep, that'd be my fault. I'm lazy. :blush:

Too busy making the beast with two backs with the female population of Newbury no doubt ;)
    •  mambamamba
    • I'll have you know I have a long(ish) term girlfriend these days.

Will start thinking about updating the myspace page a bit - maybe to fit in with the new look!
    •  CareyCarey
    • mamba says:
      I'll have you know I have a long(ish) term girlfriend these days.

Will start thinking about updating the myspace page a bit - maybe to fit in with the new look!

yeah, that and the youtube page could both do with a freshen up, especially as they're now linked from the bottom of every page on the site. are you the only person who can do stuff to the youtube page or can you create other admins?
    •  OllieOllie
    • Carey says:
      mamba says:
      I'll have you know I have a long(ish) term girlfriend these days.

yeah, that and the youtube page could both do with a freshen up, especially as they're now linked from the bottom of every page on the site. are you the only person who can do stuff to the youtube page or can you create other admins?

There must be a lot more video footage available to stick up on Youtube...or are people too shy.:blush:
    •  mambamamba
    • I've never really done anything with the youtube one. I just set it up to see what you could do with it. I just had a look and it looks as though I can transfer ownership of the group to another member, but not add another admin like you can with facebook. Do you want me to have a look at it or shall I transfer it over to you?
    •  CareyCarey
    • up to you. updating myspace AND youtube could be a fair bit of work, so i don't mind taking it over but i don't pretend to have any experience or be any good! my youtube username is careyninehertz if you decide to go for it.
    •  mambamamba
    • As far as I can tell you can't customise youtube group pages with logos/colours etc so all there is to do is add videos, which anyone can do. I'll transfer it to you Carey anyway. I'll still add videos as and when I come across them/remember.
    •  CareyCarey
    • cool. i will mess about with it and see how it works then.

Forums - General Chat - New Site