Menu

Forums - General Chat

New Site

•  JackJack
    • Podge says:
      Jack Dickinson says:
      mine says about a pm too, but nothing new in the inbox

that could well be the one i sent you... I don't know if its problems with PMs just relating to set or received by me or if its the same problem across the board

didnt get that one, you can email on jack@xlvideo.tv instead or facebook message if thats an good
    •  PodgePodge
    • Jack Dickinson says:
      didnt get that one, you can email on jack@xlvideo.tv instead or facebook message if thats an good

i almost resorted to myspace (bad times) but it was just to say i have a drum stool coming down with Tom as he said you needed one
    •  JackJack
    • awesome, good man. Dont suppose you have a bass cab or amp?
    •  PodgePodge
    • i have both, but now i have no way of getting them to london
    •  sabbathfansabbathfan
    • Podge says:
      i have to say i wasn't sure about the new site looks but after messing with it for 2 weeks or so its growing on me.

2 weeks?!?!??? It's only come online in the last 24 hours....
    •  PodgePodge
    • sabbathfan says:
      2 weeks?!?!??? It's only come online in the last 24 hours....

i was part of the initial testing group
    •  JackJack
    • ooo get you hahaha 'initial testing group" Think they have a cab at the underworld but double checking
    •  PetePete
    • A temporary solution to the pm thing is, if you see you have a new pm but it doesn't seem to show up when you click private messages, go to view profile instead and it will show you there - although this will all be fixed soon.
    •  PodgePodge
    • Pete says:
      A temporary solution to the pm thing is, if you see you have a new pm but it doesn't seem to show up when you click private messages, go to view profile instead and it will show you there - although this will all be fixed soon.

yeah, but that's not working for me either.
    •  90dayman90dayman
    • I think the new site looks really slick. Well done to all involved.
      Only thing i'm not too taken with is the amount of white on it though. Kinda looks like something's missing like the old snazzy background. :lips:

Oh, and the smileys don't seem to work when i click 'em. I had to type them out. Better get on that one quick sharp or the whole thing might fall apart. ;)
    •  PetePete
    • what browser are you using Terry?

I am heading off for London soon so won't be online for a few days, so will just post a reminder in this thread - if logging a problem, please note which browser you were using when you came across it. Thanks.

•  90dayman90dayman
    • I'm using Firefox 3.0.1
    •  slomoslomo
    • I'd like to know why you changed the forum. It was perfect to read. This is absolute fucking crap.

•  DonnyDonny
    • Have to say I'm not sold on the new look, also it took me bloody ages to notice the general chat bit. Not keen on the whole separating out the music discussion/general thing either, seems a bit pointless.

Just my two pence worth anyway.
    •  MazzMazz
    • I’m embracing the change.

I think you should have some kind of SATANIC area. Imagine how many freaks you get posting....more than usual I would expect.
    •  90dayman90dayman
    • Podge says:
      there is no "mark all forum's read" function

Oh yeah, this would be handy.
    •  Amy BAmy B
    • Right, home from work now so can respond properly.

There are some bugs, the only major one seems to be to do with PMs so please don't rely on these for anything important for now (sorry). We'll get this and all the other bugs fixed asap.

Features that are in the pipeline include:

- Option to set how many threads/posts you view per page

- Filtering on Live dates and reviews so can sort by band etc...

- "view all posts in a thread" option

- Option to Mark all forum posts read (although this was present in the old forum and not many people used it, so probably won't be a high priority)

If you've got any more suggestions let us know.

The names and order of the forums were much debated and will I'm sure be the subject of drunken debate this weekend. We'll see how it goes with them as they are and review it if there are still problems after a little while.

Design - some of you like it, some don't. It's a matter of personal preference, but please bear in mind that change is not necessarily a bad thing. I always found the old site quite un-userfriendly and hard to read.

One of the main reasons we felt the site needed to be redesigned was to integrate the forum with the main site. It was quite easy before to go on the forum and not realise there was a main site for reviews and vice versa. I think we've achieved this integration with the new site.

Anyways, please keep reporting bugs (and which browser you use - if they were all the same life would be so much easier) and try to keep the criticism constructive.

Amy
    •  EggyEggy
    • Podge says:
      Amy B says:
      Oh, and we had a long discussion about what to call and how to order the forums. We decided to separate out music discussion from general chat as music, rather than what people are eating for lunch, is the point of the forum.

that's fine, its the separation of bands, gigs and labels from music that seems odd to me, not the separation of general chat from everything else

Be better to have a music discussion - for most stuff, and a labels/band/gigs news listings section i reckon [edit: hang on that's what we have isn't it??] - bands can post other info on here if the wish to alert people of. That would be easier for the user to digest wouldn't it. And it'd be easier for new users to know what's what especially regarding what's going off in their area.

[edit: it's perhaps just the wording of the sections that's making people feel uncomfy]

I assume we have a gig listing section on the main site but many gigs on the forum don't get put in here due to the amount that are posted/will be posted.

What we don't want is a big section where all music is discussed and a small section called music discussions that doesn't contain much - kind of the left over threads - it doesn't look good for users as it looks like there isn't much to read about. Often forums get split up into many different sections when less would be easier to digest. The more sections the more people get put off, and the more people get moaned at for posting in the wrong section.

I'm sure in time things will become easier to take in, however i do think that a large number of threads aren't about music hence why the general chat section is larger.

That'll do for now i'm confusing myself.
    •  Amy BAmy B
    • Ben's fixed the problem with PMs not arriving / notifications not showing. Let us know if you experience any more problems with them.
    •  90dayman90dayman
    • I've just noticed that the review forum now links to the actual review as well as the discussion. That's brilliant. :O

Forums - General Chat - New Site