Menu

Forums - General Chat

the how would you judge how diverse your music taste is? thread

•  CareyCarey
    • i thought it was interesting. but you should still go to bed. :)
    •  JackJack
    • Diverse i guess depends on how many genres you can take in, mix up, accept etc. Could be as simple as what sections you go and look at in a record shop
    •  theadoretheadore
    • just load your last.fm into Fidg't and whoever looks the most interesting wins.
    •  grinderno1grinderno1
    • i think this can get tricky though as i tend to think that i have very diverse music tastes but realistically it's probably more a case of listening to lots of different rock sub genres and then some other stuff as well. as a result if you ask me to list genres i can give you 20 off the top of my head but ask about actual completely different styles proper and i'll probably fall short at only 5 or 6.

i think you'd need to decide on a series of rules basically to help define the limitations. ie, would sludge and doom mean 2 types of music or just 1 (i.e. metal) and things like would modern hardcore be 'punk' or a movement in it's own right...
    •  PetePete
    • i think it's hard to self-judge as you will always be bound by trying to prove or disprove the question, whichever you preferred. if you made a compilation cd, for example, of your fave songs you would be doing so bearing in mind it was to measure your diverseness.

i think it's a subconscious thing really - not necessarily what you like, or who your top 5 bands are whatever, but your openess to new things. maybe a brain map study of how you react to something completely new, or maybe whether you dismiss stuff based on genre stereotypes (the look of the band, band name etc) before you've heard the music or... i know this is all bollocks in reality! but in theory...
    •  Catacomb RecordsCatacomb Records
    • Jack Dickinson says:

Sorry this is wandering off the topic, at least i think but recently this guy was trying to tell me that Lynyrd Skynyrd were racist, all this based essentially on sweet home alabama which is not racist it's just a bout loving where you come from.

Yeah exactly and is also reply to Neil Young's song "Southern Man"
    •  OllieOllie
    • Tricky one...I have a massive music collection that's extremely eclectic. I may like the occasional pop song or a pice of classical music or stuff from any genre really but what I choose to go out and buy or listen to at home is pretty much 70's style rock...so in terms of what I want/choose to listen to/buy, my music taste is extremely narrow but in terms of what I might like when I chance to hear it it's very broad. What are your criteria for trying to figure this out...liking music or buying music?
    •  JackJack
    • Catacomb Records says:

Jack Dickinson says:

Sorry this is wandering off the topic, at least i think but recently this guy was trying to tell me that Lynyrd Skynyrd were racist, all this based essentially on sweet home alabama which is not racist it's just a bout loving where you come from.

Yeah exactly and is also reply to Neil Young's song "Southern Man"

It is indeed and apparently they didnt actually hate Neil Young, it was sort of a fun rivalry going on
    •  JenTheHenJenTheHen
    • Sorry guys but this is the most boring thread I've seen on Ninehertz for a long time, perhaps with the exception of that thread that turned into pictures of cars.
    •  JackJack
    • ah come on the thread that turned to cars was great, derailed in a lovely way
    •  MazzMazz
    • Thsi should sort the thread out.

http://l.yimg.com/img.tv.yahoo.com/tv/us/img/site/36/10/0000043610_20071003111341.jpg
    •  grinderno1grinderno1
    • Jack Dickinson says:

ah come on the thread that turned to cars was great, derailed in a lovely way

^this^.

what happened to you just ignoring threads you couldn't/didn't want to contribute to Jen...?
    •  JenTheHenJenTheHen
    • grinderno1 says:

Jack Dickinson says:

ah come on the thread that turned to cars was great, derailed in a lovely way

^this^.

what happened to you just ignoring threads you couldn't/didn't want to contribute to Jen...?

This one is simply TOO dull to ignore.

Plus you're all being a bit pretentious.
    •  grinderno1grinderno1
    • JenTheHen says:

it's an underground music forum mate. it's very existance is an act of pretention.
    •  JenTheHenJenTheHen
    • grinderno1 says:

JenTheHen says:

it's an underground music forum mate. it's very existance is an act of pretention.

I'm not your "mate" and I don't agree.

The mate comment is not supposed to be inflamatory, I just HATE it when people call me that. Generally, the people who do use the word when speaking to me are the very opposite of my "mates" and are being buddy-buddy with me for their own personal gain (they generally want something from me; money for instance - good luck). So yeah, I'm babbling but anyway I don't care how "eclectic" you think my music taste is. I don't care how "varied" I consider my own taste to be. I just listen to what I like and that's that.

Over and out.
    •  bad admiralbad admiral
    • most of the modern genres and sub genres we listen to come from africa anyway.

•  MazzMazz
    • I demand calm.
    • http://www.popartuk.com/g/l/lghr12355+dolphin-sunset-steve-bloom-poster.jpg

this should do the trick.
    •  OllieOllie
    • I love Anna Friel.
    • i loved 90s anna friel from sky magazine *slurp*

Forums - General Chat - the how would you judge how diverse your music taste is? thread