Menu

Forums - General Chat

the how would you judge how diverse your music taste is? thread

•  OllieOllie
    • I quite like boggle eyed...within reason.
    •  JenTheHenJenTheHen
    • Pete says:

JenTheHen says:

I think what I said was a bit more constructive than that comment.

I know I should let this lie, but...

JentheHen says:
      Sorry guys but this is the most boring thread I've seen on Ninehertz for a long time, perhaps with the exception of that thread that turned into pictures of cars.

constructive??? :P

Yup. This thread only got interesting after I said that.
    •  J ParkerJ Parker
    • Tim Holehouse says:

Good music is good music and people all have varying arrays of tastes. What can sound like a trashy mess of noise to one person can be a beautiful meldoy to another.

No only true up to a point. Some things are irredeemably crap - Aqua, Disturbed, Westlife. Some things are average, some things are brilliant examples in their field. Yes of course it's all subjectivzzzzzzzzz
    •  Tim HolehouseTim Holehouse
    • Yeah James but thing is those types of music serve a purpose for young kids. Yes and I know simon Cowell has made every cunt thing they can do music now... but yeah good music is good music. Me personally I'm open to a good jazz number, but also open to a harsh as fuck grind noise number. If any music is done well I tend to like it... and hey I never heard a sad song i didn't like. But yeah some people like what they like and sometimes its in a very narrow band of music. Music Genres are only there so Music Journos and record shop people can put things in boxes (of which i have no problem with by the way).
    •  theadoretheadore
    • J Parker says:

Some things are irredeemably crap - Aqua

Aqua rock like a basket of aceness.
    •  bad admiralbad admiral
    • J Parker says:

bad admiral says:

i loved 90s anna friel from sky magazine *slurp*

* NEGATIVITY ALERT *

She is shite. There are many other better looking shit actresses out there - how come she is wasting all the oxygen. Get her off the programmes!!

I don't like her, I also think she is decidedly average looking and a bit boggle eyed.

On the topic now. I listen to Prince and Emperor therefore I'm incredibly eclectic and detect brilliance wherever it lies with my ‘quality snout’

she's eyeball melting. homo.

on topic. i'm the most ecletic person ever. for a number of reasons:

on guard!
      http://school.discoveryeducation.com/clipart/images/graph.gif

parry!
      http://www.ic.gc.ca/epic/site/ogt-ipg.nsf/vwimages/Graph-graphique3_eng.gif/$file/Graph-graphique3_eng.gif

thrust!
      http://www.originlab.com/www/products/images/copy_paste_graph_ppt.gif
    •  J ParkerJ Parker
    • There's something about her top lip that offends me. Not that I'm picky.
    •  MazzMazz
    • My sperm?
    •  J ParkerJ Parker
    • haha v good :)
    •  BiledriverBiledriver
    • Tim Holehouse says:
      yeah good music is good music

You sound like that girl out of Detroit Rock City, from now on I will picture you applying big smacker lipstick and adjusting your cleavage.

I agree with Ollie, there’s ‘liking’ stuff in a passive, fluffy way and ‘being into’ stuff in a blood-fizzing, heart-pounding way. I’m quite happy to let a bit of Cut Chemist or Grieg entertain my ears but it’s only top-drawer fretwanking that will grab me by the gut.
    •  Big SiBig Si
    • Tim Holehouse says:

Music Genres are only there so Music Journos and record shop people can put things in boxes (of which i have no problem with by the way).

This! When I worked in a CD shop the one thing I really hated, other than customers, was having to classify all the new CDs into vague genres... absolute ballache. That, and reading record company promo bumph that made absolutely no sense, have given me an abiding hatred of genrification.
    •  JackJack
    • Yeah but without them being in some kind of category in a record shop, how the hell would you find anything. Like Vinyl exchange in manchester has thousands of cds, sometimes things are in slightly the wrong category but i would still look in stoner/doom etc and find things I wouldnt have done otherwise because they had been grouped with similar bands etc
    •  Tim HolehouseTim Holehouse
    • Biledriver says:

Tim Holehouse says:
      yeah good music is good music

You sound like that girl out of Detroit Rock City, from now on I will picture you applying big smacker lipstick and adjusting your cleavage.

I agree with Ollie, there’s ‘liking’ stuff in a passive, fluffy way and ‘being into’ stuff in a blood-fizzing, heart-pounding way. I’m quite happy to let a bit of Cut Chemist or Grieg entertain my ears but it’s only top-drawer fretwanking that will grab me by the gut.

Fair enough but was just making a point... music done well is music done well... I can't stomache a fair wack of riff rock stuff for its blandness... I've been heard to say in the past its too straight up for me. But yet I love screeching weasel and man they don't come more straight up than that band... If its any help i view you with a paper mache head cause of the Gwar thing... make of that what you will... ha ha!
      Why do I have visions of blackbooks and Si as bill Bailey... why???
    •  sabbathfansabbathfan
    • Jack Dickinson says:

Yeah but without them being in some kind of category in a record shop, how the hell would you find anything. Like Vinyl exchange in manchester has thousands of cds, sometimes things are in slightly the wrong category but i would still look in stoner/doom etc and find things I wouldnt have done otherwise because they had been grouped with similar bands etc

Yeah some sorting is needed to give people an idea of where to look. But it's the overdoing it and constructing absurdly long phrases to name genres that isn't necessary.
    •  Big SiBig Si
    • Tim Holehouse says:

Why do I have visions of blackbooks and Si as bill Bailey... why???

It was more like a Jekyl & Hyde combo of Bill Bailey and Dylan Moran.

As to Jack's point, I agree that a level of sorting is necessary. As Sam says, overdoing it is the problem.
      But, the other side of that is, you keep the sorting vague, where do you put stuff? In our shop, we had four sections: Punk/HC, Black/Death, AOR and Other. The Other section was nowhere near big enough for my liking, it meant I had to try and work out where things like Neurosis and Khanate truly belonged. Gah, it hurts just thinking about it.
    •  PodgePodge
    • i win.
    •  PodgePodge
    • DINGDINGDINGDINGDING

DOUBLE JACKPOT

http://media.threadless.com//product/917/zoom.gif
    •  tom.atom.a
    • Podge says:

DINGDINGDINGDINGDING

DOUBLE JACKPOT

http://media.threadless.com//product/917/zoom.gif

we will still tell you they are shite...... result FAIL!

Forums - General Chat - the how would you judge how diverse your music taste is? thread