Menu
    •  HopkinsHopkins
    • This new album is a grower, really loving it now. I'm glad it lacks the silliness of Blood Mountain save for a few of the vocal styles
    •  J ParkerJ Parker
    • Want to get it, but scared, as unlike some I find the newer stuff (inc Leviathan) pretty different from Remission. It's not just the songwriting/singing - the kind of slightly juvenile 'stick this bit to that bit, have a widdly dual guitar bit, then a singing bit, and dont forget to chuck in the kitchen sink'. Its also the SOUND - Remission just sounds warm whereas everything else Ive heard sounds clinical. Not being a hater, they have a lot going for them, just wish theyd be a bit more spontaneous-sounding again
    •  sabbathfansabbathfan
    • mike says:
      sabbathfan says:
      I never understood how people managed to cream themselves over Remission yet didn't seem to bother with Leviathan, just seemed strange

Because they didn't sound like the same band?

They might as well have a metronome for all the drumming that guy does these days.

If I was feeling ultra cynical I'd say it was because people got annoyed that Mastodon was all over MH and K! and wasn't their little secret anymore.... going from creaming over a band to distancing oneself from them in the space of one album always strikes me as rather strange. [Unless there was a drop off in quality on the scale of Sepultura's Roots era].

[not a personal dig by the way, just something I thought at the time and just remembered now].
      [Edited by sabbathfan at 16:40 on 20/04/09]
    •  mikemike
    • Nah, don't mind a band getting recognition, I'd have quite happily gone on listening to them if they produced something I liked but it seemed a bit of fame changed them immesurably.
    •  paul gpaul g
    • I love Mastodon, for me they're the best mainstream metal band kicking it at the minute by a mile,I reckon Crack The Skye is the best record they've put out as well. Personally I think the vocals on it are one of the best parts, think they've mixed the classic rock influence in brilliantly, get your Ozzy on.

I'm glad they stopped sounding like Remission, it would be so dull if they were still sounding like that, same goes for Baroness on First and Second.
      [Edited by paul g at 20:44 on 20/04/09]
    •  mikemike
    • Variety is the spice of life init, I like Baroness' progress more, its more interesting to these ears.
    •  HopkinsHopkins
    • Progress can be bad though, a la Queens Of The Stone Age, mind you a lot on here feel the same about Clutch
    •  mikemike
    • Clutch were great until Neil forgot to write lyrics that weren't just blues.

They still kick it live though.
    •  Tim HolehouseTim Holehouse
    • I hope Mastadon and Isis new albus both kick my arse to be honest I was so disapointed with both their last efforts. Not because oh they got big... because the albums where weak. I hope when I finally hear both new offerings I'm blown away. By bands I had high hopes for and they disapointed me.
    •  J ParkerJ Parker
    • Only REALLY bad thing about Mastodon, heard Zane Lowe repeatedly pronouncing their name Marstodon (as in ship's mast). I nearly ploughed into a group of pedestrians out of hate.
    •  bad admiralbad admiral
    • yeah, like when people pronounce pasta as parster and scone as scown
    •  MazzMazz
    • I spell Mini Cheddars...C.H.E.D.D.E.R.S
    • I call them massivedong after my favourite deeply erotic being... does that make me as bad zane lowe?
    •  alanalan
    • J Parker says:
      Only REALLY bad thing about Mastodon, heard Zane Lowe repeatedly pronouncing their name Marstodon (as in ship's mast). I nearly ploughed into a group of pedestrians out of hate.

Do you pronounce mast like marst then?
    •  bad admiralbad admiral
    • Tim Holehouse says:
      I call them massivedong after my favourite deeply erotic being... does that make me as bad zane lowe?

thanks dude. i've been popping some monster boners recently.
    • Yeah we can see them from peckham...
    •  EggyEggy
    • Tim Holehouse says:
      I only like the first ep

I listened to that again yesterday. love it.
    •  EggyEggy
    • Hopkins says:
      Progress can be bad though, a la Queens Of The Stone Age, mind you a lot on here feel the same about Clutch

which reminds me....you can't stop, can't stop progress!
    •  EggyEggy
    • alan says:
      J Parker says:
      Only REALLY bad thing about Mastodon, heard Zane Lowe repeatedly pronouncing their name Marstodon (as in ship's mast). I nearly ploughed into a group of pedestrians out of hate.

Do you pronounce mast like marst then?

I suppose a better way of describing it would have been putting the arse into mastodon.

M'arse'todon? :s
    •  StockyStocky
    • I was never gonna post again....but this deserved it.....anyone...who likes any mastodon album more than Remission desereves to be posting on here until the end of time......this site is....actaully a joke....and so are the opinions of those i once respected.....

Forums - Music Discussion and Promotion - Mastodon't