Menu

Forums - General Chat

Petition against sound limiting in venues

•  JackJack
    • Pretty relevant petition for us music fans, sign if you agree
    •  BenBen
    • Err, link?

It would be nice if they could provide earplugs tho, or if I finally remembered to buy some!
    •  PodgePodge
    • pointless scaremongering...

no proper details are given for the new law so essentially you are petitioning something that you don't know about.

i also don't like that fact that it says "You are now signed up to this petition". I've signed nothing.
    •  JackJack
    • i got it from my boss, who obviously is worried as his business revolves around live music. Sorry if the link might have been wrong, might be able to edit
    •  PodgePodge
    • the link is correct, well you should be using this one petitions.number10.gov.uk/NoNoiseControl/

but it doesn't tell you any details about the law, it just says "the level at which these devices CUT you off is dreadfully low and damaging"

what is that supposed to mean?
    •  noonenoone
    • pardon?
      you'll have to speak up.
    •  sabbathfansabbathfan
    • huh, just hire a generator and do gigs in the woods

I'll sign it at some point but I don't think it'll do any good anyway, there isn't much point.
    •  slack mammothslack mammoth
    • sabbathfan says:
      huh, just hire a generator and do gigs in the woods

There's loads of woods where we live, but I reckon if you tried to hold a gig there you'd have the rozzers on you before you could finish the first song. Plus turnout would be abysmal.
    •  slack mammothslack mammoth
    • ALthough you could take your own booze, I suppose.

Parking situation would be awful, though.
    •  bad admiralbad admiral
    • ah...i remember the generator parties we used to have in the essex wilds. i felt like aragon.
    •  Big SiBig Si
    • You felt like a principality in northern Spain? Nice.
    •  bad admiralbad admiral
    • sorry.

i felt like catherine of aragon.
    •  sabbathfansabbathfan
    • Additional thing here:

click

You know what? We should all just lay down and quietly die.
    •  Chesney ChristChesney Christ
    • "but (will) also spell the end of impromptu open mic sessions"

There's a reason to support this law. Anyway, this law's only aimed at black people, guitar music's not going to be under threat (I'm sure the cabinet listens to Led Zeppelin, not Barrington Levy).
    •  sabbathfansabbathfan
    • Hmmm in about 5 years time I'd say we won't have any live music events in this country at all the way things are going.
    •  JackJack
    • Chesney Christ says:
      "but (will) also spell the end of impromptu open mic sessions"

There's a reason to support this law. Anyway, this law's only aimed at black people, guitar music's not going to be under threat (I'm sure the cabinet listens to Led Zeppelin, not Barrington Levy).

black people also play guitar
    •  Chesney ChristChesney Christ
    • This law is blatantly aimed at 'urban' music, as I said middle class guitar rock is under no threat. I imagine quite a few MPs have sons in generic indie bands & won't want to spoil their fun.
    •  sabbathfansabbathfan
    • But remember that famous quote which starts "first they came for the communists and I did not speak up because I was not a communist" and ends with "Then they came for me and there was no one left to speak up for me?"

That's where this will head unless people wake up.

You already have the licencing law venues have to get for live music, if a venue has to fill out this form they may just not bother with applying for a licence. Personally I think the licence to entertain is a blatant violation of free expression and I think people should just break the law on this issue over and over and over and over again to force a change in it. Remember the 18 million people who flat out refused to pay the Poll Tax two decades ago....

That said, I feel too scared to start anything, so I don't really think I should say too much on this subject. But I had to get it out somehow, the paranoia and worry has been building up inside me for weeks and months about this and various other issues.
      [Edited by sabbathfan at 19:27 on 24/01/09]
    •  PodgePodge
    • sabbathfan says:
      That said, I feel too scared to start anything, so I don't really think I should say too much on this subject. But I had to get it out somehow, the paranoia and worry has been building up inside me for weeks and months about this and various other issues.

you think something should be done but you aren't going to do anything... well said that man, apathy rules

Forums - General Chat - Petition against sound limiting in venues