Menu

Forums - General Chat

The Ashes

•  PetePete
    • The Ashes starts tonight.

Anyone else ridiculously excited like me? Anyone on here interested at all?

I'm considering staying up, or getting up early, to catch come of the action tonight.

The lead up has been amazing - it could barely have gone better for England, which is the exact opposite of previous Ashes tours. The team seem relaxed despite being away from home for so long - see this video for proof.

Still think everything will return to norm as soon as the cricket starts though, and we get battered.
    •  FDFCFDFC
    • I feel really good about it this year. Think England can win it.

Not sure how much of it I'll see. Must try and catch daily highlights on Five.
    •  Tino InsanaTino Insana
    • We have a better team than the Aussies, they still have plenty of talent and grit though.

Is anyone running a decent highlights package for this? Channel 5 please?
    •  PetePete
    • ITV4 at 10pm the next day is the only highlights package...
    •  pull-my-plonkerpull-my-plonker
    • I'm fussed enough to probably read the scorecards, but no way am I sticking up late on a school-night!

I'll probs get more into it as the tests unfold...
    •  PetePete
    • Oh dear.
    •  mambamamba
    • I stayed up til about 1:30 and am up now to watch the last half hour or so. Could've been a worse first day, but not great. Looks like Siddle bowled well while I was asleep.

*YAWN*
    •  PetePete
    • And now...

We are good. Australia are shit.

Funny game, cricket.
    • I do love how it's possible to not play very well, then get a draw/win!
    •  PetePete
    • And now... amazing.

The 2nd test is going brilliantly. My decision tonight to stay up for the start, as opposed to getting up early for the end as per the first 2 days, will no doubt jinx it all and fuck all hope of a win up.
    •  mikemike
    • I watched it at the pub last night, weird to think it was live, well good!
    •  PetePete
    • Fucking brilliant. I love this team, I really do. Not the best technically in the world, but as a whole, stunning. The vibe they have going and the confidence it exudes is something to cherish and behold. The most flawless, complete performance, over 4 and a half days, I've ever seen from us.

I'd love to be a fly on the wall from their celebrations earlier today.

In lieu of a proper Aussie here on 9hz...in your face Ben Brown ;)
      [Edited by Pete at 19:41 on 07/12/10]
    • Apparently Michael Clarke didn't speak for two hours after losing out to the last ball of the test.

Two Ozzie papers are starting a campaign to guilt-trip Shane Warne out of retirement! That would be more hilarious than the time I saw Gazza playing for Burnley!
    •  mambamamba
    • Staying up to watch the end last night was fully worth the grief I got from Tania for keeping her up.

There certainly does seem a great team spirit that was totally lacking 4 years ago. We can't throw this series away now, surely.
    •  BenBen
    • meh
    •  PetePete
    • So, who's excited about tomorrow night / Thursday morning?

Test seems to start at 2.30am (Thursday morning our time). I'm therefore planning setting an alarm for 5am tomorrow night and see the mid-session pre-work (or the last 2 at the weekend).

Thoughts on Broad's replacement? I hope they go for Tremlett, but would not be unhappy with Shahzad or Bresnan. I have faith in Flower and Strauss.
    • Tremlett gets my vote, Shazad a close second.

Let's hope we burn them at the stake. Am sure there will be plenty of Shane Warne banter for all!
    •  PetePete
    • Brilliant.

Forums - General Chat - The Ashes