Menu

Forums - General Chat

Rock-A-Rolla Magazine.

•  mikemike
    • I've just started to write reviews for them for a bit more experience and I've just subscribed anyway, its amazing, about 100 reviews of stuff, interviews with Asva, Zu, Boris and Why? Anyone read it? Can't believe I've not found it before, it covers what I listen to almost exactly.

I've never seen a magazine so packed with reviews.

Not an advert, but its 18 months worth (9 issues) for £15 at the moment, might be worth a punt?
    •  JackJack
    • I've read it before, very nice mag
    •  PodgePodge
    • I've considered buying it a few times and they are always trying to get me to advertise in it but it always seems a bit Nigel Hipster for my liking.
    •  mikemike
    • It does have some Wire-esque parts in that are almost too pretentious, but for the most part its honest opinions of some interesting music, good interviews as well from what I've read so far.

I reviewed about 10 CDs for their next issue so keep your eye out for it.

I think Calculon would go down well in it, theres stoner rock and sludge in there too, think it appeals to those who would actually seek you out as well. You sent them anything?
    •  PodgePodge
    • mike says:
      I think Calculon would go down well in it, theres stoner rock and sludge in there too, think it appeals to those who would actually seek you out as well. You sent them anything?

i've sent them stuff for review, but i never check it as i'm not buying every issue and i hate people who use paper shops and WH Smiths as a library.

as for advertising. mega bucks
    •  rustyspoonrustyspoon
    • Never heard of it before but will keep an eye open.
      I like subscribing to magazines, becoming addicted;
      Stuff
      The Wire
      The Chap

Who ever lived in the house before me must had a 2 year subscription to Eve magazine as it just keeps coming each month for ages now.
    •  mikemike
    • Ah right, I'll have a look in this one, see if theres owt in it of yours.

Theres enough stuff in there to warrant you sending things in I reckon, Unearthly Trance, 5ive reviews and interviews too.

I know theres a fair few Sheffield-based things in there I have read too, Ben Nash, Ashtray Navigations.
    •  PodgePodge
    • I've not sent anything in a good while as its been a while since i released anything. Tiger Warsaw, Jesus of Spazzareth and UFO Gestapo will be heading their way though in the next week or so
    •  CareyCarey
    • oooh, did ben get a good review?
    •  mikemike
    • rustyspoon says:

Never heard of it before but will keep an eye open.
      I like subscribing to magazines, becoming addicted;
      Stuff
      The Wire
      The Chap

Who ever lived in the house before me must had a 2 year subscription to Eve magazine as it just keeps coming each month for ages now.

I used to get a computer game industry magazine that was incredibly boring for the year I lived at my last house from the guy who lived there before, it was basically a few articles about trade shows like E3 and then about 40 pages of ads for programmers/games testers, tell you what if you know what you are doing theres money in that line of work.

I really want to get a subscription to the Wire as its a real read, loads of interesting reviews and stuff about exhibitions and improv stuff that I'm into if its done well, but it costs a fair whack.

Same with Edge mag, its amazing, but far too expensive!

Tell you whats gone downhill apart from the reviews, Terrorizer, if I read another article about death metal bands or bedroom black metal projects I'm gona go insane.
    •  J ParkerJ Parker
    • I think Terrorizer has a pretty decent standard of writing, and covers stuff no-one else would touch, like Serbian fascistic black metal (hmmm), but yeah it does sometimes reek of blokes in glasses who have taken two minutes off D&D to write about someone from Mistress over-enthusiastically.

I have just subscribed to Plan B magazine on a bit of a whim, mainly on the strength of its great recent issue with Earth on the cover... maybe I will regret this rash move
    •  rustyspoonrustyspoon
    • Terrorizer is alright but if iwas looking for something along those lines to read i'd always opt for Zero Tolerance, though Terrorizers letter page was always a good read.
    •  mikemike
    • Carey says:

oooh, did ben get a good review?

Reasonable, its his latest one but they say his other stuff is better (which it is, check out Blackened Meat Traffickers for a great example of what he can do), they say this new one is too close to Six Organs Of Admittance for comfort.
    •  CareyCarey
    • mike says:

Carey says:

oooh, did ben get a good review?

Reasonable, its his latest one but they say his other stuff is better (which it is, check out Blackened Meat Traffickers for a great example of what he can do), they say this new one is too close to Six Organs Of Admittance for comfort.

sounds fair. what he does isn't really my taste but he's a lovely guy.
    •  sabbathfansabbathfan
    • mike says:
      Tell you whats gone downhill apart from the reviews, Terrorizer, if I read another article about death metal bands or bedroom black metal projects I'm gona go insane.

I flick through Terrorizer now these days, I just don't find it really does anything for me anymore. I buy it but read it once and get really bored, not much outside the reviews interests me enough.

Even Metal Hammer is getting to be a better read than Terrorizer, and I wouldn't have said that a year ago....
    •  PodgePodge
    • Zero Tolerance don't like you telling them their reviews read like the work experience kid wrote them.
    •  ChrisSDChrisSD
    • Used to write for Rock-a-Rolla in those early heady days of its beginnings. :P

How's Vuk (editor) now Mike? Reason I left was that I started to feel like it was 'Vuk Mag'. I had to edit out opinions in reviews that he didn't agree with sometimes...

Plus, I did an interview with Bloody Panda just whilst their split with Kayo Dot came out. He didn't know them, and I said he should check them out, he said no. Then about a copy after I left or something the interview got printed.

I'm not really calling him to be honest. An editor does what an editor does. I'd like to write for the mag again as it's so tailored to what I listen to (I would suggest all NineHertz readers have a go at picking up at least one copy)...

As for Terrorizor, I can't stand the writing. And everyone for ages has always said when I've explained my opinion, "well at least you've got to admit it's the best set out music magazine in terms of design?!". err, no. It gives me a panic attack just looking at it.
      Metal Hammer is shit. Never got on with it at all.
      Kerrang! used to be great. The writing is still of a high quality. It's just that it features 0 bands I have even a passing interest in. Plus about 75% of its volume is now adverts.
      I think Zero Tolerance is a very good mag, but can suffer from being a little too 'extreme' musically for my liking. I like extreme music, but the guys who run that magazine basically think 'extreme metal' equals Norwegian solo black metal projects with a fan base of 2 (the guy's parents), who lives in a cave that is unreachable 360 days of the year, and has thus far released a demo limited to -8 copies (anti-demo, keep up, it's extreme) that had two tracks on it totalling 10 minutes, but that are covered in so much white noise that it makes the listeners ears bleed (but you're not allowed to listen to it because it's underground, yeah?).
    •  OllieOllie
    • I like Classic Rock...but then I'm an old fart!!!
    •  PodgePodge
    • touched a nerve have we chris?

i like rant posts
    •  ChrisSDChrisSD
    • haha :P

maaaaybe.

Forums - General Chat - Rock-A-Rolla Magazine.