Menu

Forums - Reviews and Articles

War Pygmalion - Downs 'Nola'

•  GarethGareth
    • Ollie says:

The fact is this album has been out now for 17 years so if you haven't heard it until now chances are you're not a fan of this style of music...so why bother reviewing it?

Because it's the whole point of the series of articles?

If only I'd reviewed 'Scum' previously which came out 8 years before 'Nola' and liked it, then I could completely invalidate your argument over a week before you made it.

Oh wait I did.
      [Edited by Gareth at 18:05 on 20/06/12]
    •  GarethGareth
    • alan says:
      I like it too, but to be honest I always preferred their second album. I've always thought it was a waste having Pepper and Kirk in a band that they never sing in though.

Gareth, if you don't like Anselmo on record you should give them a try live. Personally I think they perform really well live, but no frontman makes me cringe between songs quite like him.

I saw Pantera live back in the Manchester Apollo many years ago. Technically, they are a great live band in terms of musicianship but Anselmos vocal style grates on me. (Plus I don't really like the songs). I'd give him a break but his reported behaviour over the years has been so questionable I don't feel bad about dismissing his work. I'm sure he's got enough money to not care.
    •  mikemike
    • Calm down Gareths, yeah like we said, we've started a series, so far he's tackled Napalm Death's 'Scum' and Electric Wizard's 'Dopethrone' and I've given him a good few more albums to look through too. As it explains, it is a revisit and an opinion-filled look at albums considered classics within the genre. I've said on previous entries that we're asking for suggestions too.

Also, this is under the articles heading, not review, so make of that what you will. We will be continuing to slaughter sacred cows, I may even attempt a Metallica one if I can face listening to them at all.
    •  GarethGareth
    • 2 of the points raised are answered in the review.

In the first paragraph. In bold.

And several weeks ago when the series started.

And in the previous article.

And in the comment section of this article.

How many more times do people need telling?
    •  mikemike
    • Well not everyone reads everything we publish, but it's called War Pygmalion, which has nothing to do with the Down record and is titled as part three in the intro.

As I said, we welcome suggestions for more, I've got a list, but we want this one to run, it's shook up more debate than anything else in a while, this is a good thing.
      [Edited by mike at 21:55 on 20/06/12]
    •  bad admiralbad admiral
    • EVERYONE LOVE EVERYONE. whoah...

i like this series and i've really enjoyed the last couple as i know the albums. no idea about down though, never listened to them.
    •  MazzMazz
    • DOWNLOLZ
    •  HopkinsHopkins
    • HEAVY METAL IS SHIT
    •  sabbathfansabbathfan
    • Jack says:
      I'd disagree, I'm not even a huge fan of the records but I've seen them 3 or 4 times while working festivals and they put on a good show, big old groove

This. Down haven't totally clicked with me on record but I saw them at High Voltage festival a couple of years ago and they were superb live. Much more organic feel to the music live for some reason and it was one of my shows of the year, in fact one of the best shows I've witnessed in quite a while.

If we're going to use this feature to give different opinions on sacred cow records, please let me have a go at Van Halen 1 if possible. That record is the most overrated one of all time in my opinion but I might as well give it another listen.
    •  basstardbasstard
    • sabbathfan says:
      If we're going to use this feature to give different opinions on sacred cow records, please let me have a go at Van Halen 1 if possible. That record is the most overrated one of all time in my opinion but I might as well give it another listen.

Maybe there should be a separate series of articles called Blasphemy or something similar where folks can vent their spleen on sacred cows/ untouchables which they don't like?

I thought the idea of War Pygmalion was to get an unbiased/ new view on classics from someone who's not been exposed to them.
    •  MazzMazz
    • sabbathfan says:
      Jack says:
      I'd disagree, I'm not even a huge fan of the records but I've seen them 3 or 4 times while working festivals and they put on a good show, big old groove

This. Down haven't totally clicked with me on record but I saw them at High Voltage festival a couple of years ago and they were superb live. Much more organic feel to the music live for some reason and it was one of my shows of the year, in fact one of the best shows I've witnessed in quite a while.

OH MY GOD III
    •  mikemike
    • basstard says:
      sabbathfan says:

Maybe there should be a separate series of articles called Blasphemy or something similar where folks can vent their spleen on sacred cows/ untouchables which they don't like?

I thought the idea of War Pygmalion was to get an unbiased/ new view on classics from someone who's not been exposed to them.

Yeah War Pygmalion is to have another look at records you've never really heard, not to slate ones you don't like, that's like fish in a barrel and we'd never hear the end of that!
    •  GarethGareth
    • It's basically heavy albums everyone references which I haven't heard. Steel yourselves for the future because I'm under no obligation like them.
    •  LaddethLaddeth
    • I love this album.
      I also love Gareth.
      Oh how this tears me up inside :(

When I saw them live they were really good tbh and I wasn't even munted so I can actually remember it accurately which is nice for a change.
    •  mikemike
    • I've still never caught them, reckon it'd be good.
    •  LimbBobLimbBob
    • My thoughts on both Pantera and Down are that if you like the dulcet tones of Macho Man Randy Savage trying to recite poems about things he hates.... you'll love both these bands.

I however. Do not.
    •  HopkinsHopkins
    • i tried to re-visit pantera recently, and i cannot get by that awful clicky kick drum battering away
    •  EggyEggy
    • I love Crowbar, Corrosion of Conformity, Eyehategod and have liked Pantera since the mid 90s, seen Pantera live quite a few times back in the late 90s at festivals, however despite A Vulgar Display of Power being one of the first metal albums I bought and fell in love with I never really went out of my way to buy the other albums, many tracks I liked, but it was years before I owned the albums - which I copied off a mate. I used to love to dance to Pantera (especially on the rare occasions I went to corp or rock city) although I didn't know many of the songs they played at the time.

It has took me ages to get into Down though, probably as I've yet to see them live so never needed a reason to buy any of their stuff. Most people I know who are into metal really rate them, but there was always bands I'd rather listen to instead. About 3 years ago I finally bought Nola, took me ages to get into it - went months without even playing it. Back in the day I liked Anselmo's style of vocals, but over time I've got bored and found much better vocalists to appreciate, I had to get to like Anselmo singing for Down despite liking Kirk and Pepper's own bands (only been into EHG about a year). I got there in the end and now think Nola is a really good album, however I still much prefer Crowbar and COC - and now EHG.

I still only have the first two Down albums, not in any rush to buy the newer one(s). Also they were touring this year weren't they, I was going to go to Brum to see them think that must have passed without me realising.

So I do like Down, and the bands the members are in, I'd probably like Down more if Anselmo wasn't in it. I also think if Phil wasn't in Down many people who like Down wouldn't give them the time of day. Many people I know who like Down don't listen to COC, EHG or Crowbar, they probably don't even know who they are.

Apologies if I've repeated myself at all in the above, my brain isn't working too well today.
    •  mikemike
    • Just reading this back, good series, Gareth, do more.

Forums - Reviews and Articles - War Pygmalion - Downs 'Nola'