Menu
    •  PodgePodge
    • yeah, all them 3 are good but depending on what you want halfords can be cheaper.

what you looking to replace? my original town bike had 21 gears, by the end of winter only 3 worked and I'd got used to not needing the other 18 so eventually i just got rid of them, now the bike is simpler, cheaper and faster so don't always think you need to replace like for like

what bike have you got?
      [Edited by Podge at 19:15 on 03/02/10]
    •  HopkinsHopkins
    • i won't know the full extent of mechanical stuff until it's had it's wd40 bath, but i definitely need

spare inner
      valve caps
      lights
      helmet
      hi viz vest thingy

chain guard has a bit snapped off
      saddle is battered
      gear and brake cables are rusty were they're exposed (wd40 may fix)
    •  JackJack
    • spare inner= Asda/Tesco for about £2.00
      valve caps= come with the inner tube
      lights= supermarket again
      helmet= around £30
      hi viz vest thingy= steal one off a builder

chain guard has a bit snapped off= snap the rest off, don't need it
      saddle is battered= gaffa tape it back together, can be done
      gear and brake cables are rusty were they're exposed (wd40 may fix)=
      try that first, if that doesnt help its pretty easy to change them
    •  HopkinsHopkins
    • cheers jack
      is rim tape or cloth essential?
    •  JackJack
    • its a good idea as it can stop you getting a punctures, it basically stops the bits where the spokes attach to the rims from touching your tubes. Its pretty cheap really
    •  HopkinsHopkins
    • Thoughts on gel saddles?
      Is there a comfort/cost ratio?
    •  JackJack
    • gel is actually less comfortable overall, get a decent solid saddle and just let you ass get used to it. It'll be painful for the first few rides but you toughen up. Once you get used to it you wont really feel it. The gel means you move about too much, comfy for short rides but thats it. If you want to get really comfy wear some cycle shorts under your normal shorts, saves you looking like a twat but more comfortable
    •  rlucas666rlucas666
    • Hopkins says:
      cheers jack
      is rim tape or cloth essential?

Huh huh, rim tape, huh huh...

For the hi viz vest thingy you could get one of those from Machine Mart but I have seen stuff like that in Anchor Surplus in the past, would probably be a tenth of the price as well.
    •  PodgePodge
    • as per jack says however 2 runs of insulation tape is even cheaper for rim tape. probably best to get Schrader valves on your inner tubes as they are the same as a car so well easy to find something to pump them up BUT check the valve hole on your rim, some are drilled for a smaller valve and so wont work, but then that's nothing a quick wizz with a 7mm drill bit wouldn't fix. again stick with the gaffa seat, gel is rubbish and if your gear cables are seized then get rid of your front one, adjust the limit stops to centralise the chain and stop it falling off and consider full length inner and outer cable / zip tied from lever to mech as its far less faff and much easier to keep clean
    •  HopkinsHopkins
    • Podge says:
      if your gear cables are seized then get rid of your front one, adjust the limit stops to centralise the chain and stop it falling off and consider full length inner and outer cable / zip tied from lever to mech as its far less faff and much easier to keep clean

i was alright until this bit
      google will help though
    •  PodgePodge
    • basically i'm saying if you don't need it don't replace it.

full length cables and outers mean that all the metal cable is inside a plastic outer so non of it is open to the rain / dirt.
    •  PodgePodge
    • I just bought a Sunn Bmix. I am well happy
    •  GarethGareth
    • Helmets are about £17. Buy a small pump, and a puncture repair kit or spare inner to stick in your bag too, you might need them.
      As for hi-viz stuff, I got a Peter Storm flourescent jacket on sale in Blacks for £20.
      Get some gloves too, especially in this weather. A pair of woollen gloves will take the edge of the cold. I tried without a couple of times and my hands were in agony by the time I got to work.

And don't ride on the pavement or skip red lights. You'll give cyclists a bad name.
    •  PodgePodge
    • Gareth says:
      And don't ride on the pavement or skip red lights. You'll give cyclists a bad name.

haha, i'm terrible for that.

Wilkinsons has mega cheap bike stuff. inner tubes for £1.81, pumps for £2
    •  HopkinsHopkins
    • cheers guys

so far so good, it's having trouble moving around the cogs when i change gear, so gonna give it a good blast of wd40, wipe it down and oil it again
    •  PodgePodge
    • what kind of trouble? you move the lever but the mech doesn't move?
    •  HopkinsHopkins
    • Podge says:
      what kind of trouble? you move the lever but the mech doesn't move?

yeah, or takes a minute to shift. on the the front and rear cogs too
    •  PodgePodge
    • that could mean you're cable is a bit slack or your indexing is a bit out.

both are easily fixed

check THIS and THIS out for some good info
    •  HopkinsHopkins
    • that stuff in wilkos is dirt cheap
      set of allen keys for 70p? yes please

just about got the gears shifting smoothly
      boy does my arse hurt though, might sit on a bag of frozen peas

Forums - General Chat - bikes