Menu

Forums - Music Discussion and Promotion

Supersonic Festival

•  basstardbasstard
    • This year's Supersonic Festival In Brum has moved to the end of October. It's always an education with incredible bands across many genres represented. SWANS and GODFLESH are already confirmed for this year, making it all a bit special.

More details and announcements of who else is playing at:

www.capsule.org.uk/supersonic/
    •  mikemike
    • Not really?
    •  OllieOllie

• I think you may be right...Supersonic usually looks like a load of sphincter bound shit with the odd exception.
    •  mikemike
    • I'd say the lineups are so different it's difficult to compare them, I wouldn't stick Melt Banana fans in with Angel With fans ever.
    •  MarekMarek
    • mike says:
      I'd say the lineups are so different it's difficult to compare them, I wouldn't stick Melt Banana fans in with Angel With fans ever.

True, I love Supersonic, it's a good vibe, but the bands are sometimes too experimental for me, this year is not getting me that excited and we are very different and smaller too, not worried about it, although it will take some people away for sure
    •  mikemike
    • Supersonic will keep revealing trump cards too I reckon, theres three days and only about ten bands so far.

That fest looks great for finding real gems, I've not heard of many but it does have me intrigued.
    •  teddystackerteddystacker
    • Godflesh is enough for me. And even though they probably will play London it has been suggested that they won't.
      it's clashing with .This

I think about 2 of you on this forum will be fucking gutted if you already bought supersonic tickets.

Acutally, probably just Tim and myself
      [Edited by teddystacker at 16:54 on 25/06/10]
    •  basstardbasstard
    • Ollie says:

I think you may be right...Supersonic usually looks like a load of sphincter bound shit with the odd exception.

To be fair, there is a fair bit of pretensho-wank at Supersonic but I ususally go for 1 day to see a highlight of the weekend and watch loads of bands I'd expect to hate and end up really enjoying them.

I dare say Swans and Godflesh will headline a day each so maybe I'll do Sat & Sun this year.

Live Evil looks pretty good- fucking Vulcano!!! My mate bought their album from Dereen Yeos' newsagents in Ludlow when we were in 6th form college! Now that was a weird shop- also sold video nasties under the counter.
      I always thought Fenriz was a bit of a bell-end though, even though I do like a fair bit of DarkThrone.
    •  MarekMarek
    • basstard says:
      Ollie says:

I think you may be right...Supersonic usually looks like a load of sphincter bound shit with the odd exception.

To be fair, there is a fair bit of pretensho-wank at Supersonic but I ususally go for 1 day to see a highlight of the weekend and watch loads of bands I'd expect to hate and end up really enjoying them.

I dare say Swans and Godflesh will headline a day each so maybe I'll do Sat & Sun this year.

Live Evil looks pretty good- fucking Vulcano!!! My mate bought their album from Dereen Yeos' newsagents in Ludlow when we were in 6th form college! Now that was a weird shop- also sold video nasties under the counter.
      I always thought Fenriz was a bit of a bell-end though, even though I do like a fair bit of DarkThrone.

Cool yeah, thanks, it will be amazing in my opinion. Can't wait for so many of the bands.

Fenriz? All the interviews I've read plus his regular appearances in Until the Light Takes Us, what Ramesses' Adam and others have said about hanging with him (he basically cracks jokes and intellectualises metal the whole time) all the emails and such I've seen PLUS his amazing MySpace blog suggest he is very much not a bell end!!!

He's seems really funny, fucking incredibly on it musically, very real and no bullshit, very bright and generous... how is he a bell end?
    •  BiledriverBiledriver
    • I've heard people slag off Fenriz for exactly those reasons though "..fackin' joker comin' in 'er being all nice and friendly, he should be in a fackin' cave somewhere, 'e ain't proper kvlt like noworrimean". You can't please all the people all the time.

I think I'll stick to Supersonic this year mainly for the people and the location. Do you happy to know if Hooded Menance are doing any other UK dates around the fest? I'm sad to miss them.

Ta.
    •  basstardbasstard
    • Marek says:
      basstard says:
      Ollie says:

Cool yeah, thanks, it will be amazing in my opinion. Can't wait for so many of the bands.

Fenriz? All the interviews I've read plus his regular appearances in Until the Light Takes Us, what Ramesses' Adam and others have said about hanging with him (he basically cracks jokes and intellectualises metal the whole time) all the emails and such I've seen PLUS his amazing MySpace blog suggest he is very much not a bell end!!!

He's seems really funny, fucking incredibly on it musically, very real and no bullshit, very bright and generous... how is he a bell end?

I wasn't expecting this to turn into a 'Fenriz: Dude or Dick?' debate!
      It was the 'Norsk Arisk Black Metal' thing that mostly formed my view of Fenriz as a bell-end. I've never been convinced by any of the explanations given for that. To make a statement like that in a scene where Nazism is widespread and then try to hide behind claims that you're "not political" is a cop-out. At best I'd say it was a dumb prank to court controversy which backfired.
      Yeah, he obviously lives and breathes underground metal and has a great, varied knowledge of music but seems very contradictory (I guess we all are at times...) when one minute he's saying how he hates the 'stardom' foisted upon him, then the next he's using his name to promote/ publicise his pet projects (the 'Fenriz presents... old School Black metal' comp for instance).
    •  MarekMarek
    • basstard says:
      Marek says:
      basstard says:
      Ollie says:

I wasn't expecting this to turn into a 'Fenriz: Dude or Dick?' debate!
      It was the 'Norsk Arisk Black Metal' thing that mostly formed my view of Fenriz as a bell-end. I've never been convinced by any of the explanations given for that. To make a statement like that in a scene where Nazism is widespread and then try to hide behind claims that you're "not political" is a cop-out. At best I'd say it was a dumb prank to court controversy which backfired.
      Yeah, he obviously lives and breathes underground metal and has a great, varied knowledge of music but seems very contradictory (I guess we all are at times...) when one minute he's saying how he hates the 'stardom' foisted upon him, then the next he's using his name to promote/ publicise his pet projects (the 'Fenriz presents... old School Black metal' comp for instance).

Hahaha, totally fair points.

Although I don't think putting your name to some music means you're an egotist though, he does have legendary status in the music scene so it would be weird to pretend otherwise. He's not exactly Kerry fucking King is he? Fenriz Presents The Darkthrone Series Norsk Snare!

I have no idea if Hooded Menace are doing more shows, I hope not obviously! If it goes well I'm sure they will be back at least. They are incredible but not in my top 5 most anticipated bands.

Anyway, Supersonic thread, sorry about the diversion...

•  OllieOllie
    • I saw Godflesh in 1988 supporting Napalm Death in Bristol (the classic line-up with Bill Steer, Lee Dorrian, Shane Embury and Mick Harris...awesome band) I spent their entire set trying to figure out where the drummer was as I could hear one but there was no-one behind the kit!!! In those days I thought all drum machines sounded tinny and shitty like Kraftwerk. My poor little brain couldn't compute what was going on. They were fucking heavy!!!!
    •  MarekMarek
    • Wow
    •  basstardbasstard
    • Ollie says:
      I saw Godflesh in 1988 supporting Napalm Death in Bristol (the classic line-up with Bill Steer, Lee Dorrian, Shane Embury and Mick Harris...awesome band) I spent their entire set trying to figure out where the drummer was as I could hear one but there was no-one behind the kit!!! In those days I thought all drum machines sounded tinny and shitty like Kraftwerk. My poor little brain couldn't compute what was going on. They were fucking heavy!!!!

Yeah, I saw Godflesh loads of times in Brum between 88 and 90 and they were bowel crushingly heavy and intense. I bought their 1st mini LP from Swordfish (the shop & label) and played it every day for months on end. I remember reading a review of Streetcleaner in a fanzine that kept on about the incredible drumming by 'Roland'!
      Although I always loved them, I never got to see them after the release of the Slavestate EPs (their weakest releases IMO) so I'm really looking forward to their return and seeing them in front of an appreciative audience.
    •  pull-my-plonkerpull-my-plonker
    • basstard says:
      Ollie says:
      I saw Godflesh in 1988 supporting Napalm Death in Bristol (the classic line-up with Bill Steer, Lee Dorrian, Shane Embury and Mick Harris...awesome band) I spent their entire set trying to figure out where the drummer was as I could hear one but there was no-one behind the kit!!! In those days I thought all drum machines sounded tinny and shitty like Kraftwerk. My poor little brain couldn't compute what was going on. They were fucking heavy!!!!

Yeah, I saw Godflesh loads of times in Brum between 88 and 90 and they were bowel crushingly heavy and intense. I bought their 1st mini LP from Swordfish (the shop & label) and played it every day for months on end. I remember reading a review of Streetcleaner in a fanzine that kept on about the incredible drumming by 'Roland'!
      Although I always loved them, I never got to see them after the release of the Slavestate EPs (their weakest releases IMO) so I'm really looking forward to their return and seeing them in front of an appreciative audience.

Really looking forward to seeing them now! Just got of their stuff up on Spotify and it sounds badass so far!
    •  OllieOllie
    • pull-my-plonker says:
      basstard says:
      Ollie says:

Really looking forward to seeing them now! Just got of their stuff up on Spotify and it sounds badass so far!

Streetcleaner was an immense album. The funny thing is I got the Grind Madness album of all the Earached John Peel sessions and the Godflesh stuff sounded strangely weak on there compared to the other bands. Maybe their in house engineers didn't know what to do with drum machines.
    •  basstardbasstard
    • Napalm Death and Hallogallo2010 (Michael Rother doing Neu! tunes) just added to the bill...... and loads of weird shit I've got no idea about.

Forums - Music Discussion and Promotion - Supersonic Festival