Menu

Forums - General Chat

Live Comedy Thread

•  pull-my-plonkerpull-my-plonker
    • Thought I'd start this off as I know we have a few interested parties (and at least one practising comedian, and Mazz).

Limiting this to LIVE comedy, so people don't rant on about how good that new IT Crowd episode was. I'll accept live stand-up on TV, as long as it isn't Michael McIntyre or Peter Kay quotes, and of course anyone you've seen live IN THE FLESH.

That's right - ninehertz is not responsible for the ground rules, Plonker is.

Saw a pub gig in Acton with a lot of seasoned pros doing new material last week:

Hollie Walsh - all new jokes, but she's confident enough to pull them off so it was good.

Marvin Davis - promising start but faded a bit. Interesting set-up, he pretends to be a childish idiot and tells really long stories with litle point or consequence. Pretty funny at times though needs more practise.

Ben Firman - comedy magician. Fantastic. Did a proper mind-trick on me and caught me a treat. Also set a signed £20 note on fire then a few minutes later produced the same £20 note from inside 3 sealed envelopes. Impressive.
    •  mikemike
    • Saw Greg Davies last week with his semi-autobiographical show Firing Cheeseballs At A Dog.

Really really good, he is the tall, slightly tubby Rik Mayall that Rick Mayall should have been, where has he gone? Anyway, really good, some gross-out bits, but genuinely great, he was actually a teacher before playing Mr Gilbert in The Inbetweeners and had some great anecdotes, even down to doing impressions of the kids.

I love live comedy but I don't get to see it often enough.

Oh actually, saw Angelos Epitheiou in Sheffield a few months ago, great stuff, thought I was going to pass out from laughing, his constant comments that he didn't want to be there were great.

I'd love to see CJ live, I bet he's great, he's always been sharp just generally, a funny guy naturally.
    •  alanalan
    • Yeah, I still need to check CJ's stuff out. I'm off to see Dylan Moran at the end of the month, woop!
    •  FDFCFDFC
    • I'm not sure if he's still on tour, but THE best comedian in the UK is Tom Stade.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hu7aSEsC6g

I have so many stories from driving him to and from gigs. Most of which involve him asking "Hey, is that a cop car?". The man's brilliant and he helped me develop my own act tenfold just from spending time with him.

I also happened to be there with him when he got the phonecall saying that Frankie Boyle's Tramadol Nights had been commissioned for a series. </claimtofame>
    •  bazzathespazbazzathespaz
    • alan says:
      Yeah, I still need to check CJ's stuff out. I'm off to see Dylan Moran at the end of the month, woop!

From his first gig:

LOLZ

My memory ran out before the punchline on the last gag which is a pain
    •  basstardbasstard
    • I was supposed to be going to Mark Thomas later in the month but it sold out pretty quickly.
      Fave stand up I ever saw was Jerry Sadowitz. A very offensive nasty piece of work but really funny and very accomplished with the magic tricks too.
    •  Smockboy25Smockboy25
    • Do try and get to see as much live stand up as I can as it's always a great night out.

Bill Bailey - city hall - many years back, awesome off the wall, very funny.

Rhod Gilbert - lots of ranting about stuff then brings it all back in the end. Like a loose cannon.

Frankie Boyle - first time in tears, very funny- got away with more than he could on TV, 2nd time still very funny but lacking something or maybe too many jokes from 1st time? His warm up guy Craig Campbell was very good too.

Got tickets for Stephen Merchant in September almost purely based on my mates recommendation of seeing him in Edinburgh years back!

The last laugh club at City Hall is great, usually 3 or 4 comedians and compere for 16 quid - well worth it! Just hope you're not sat in the first row!!
    •  PodgePodge
    • I was speaking to CJ on Saturday, he wants to do a Sheffield show if anyone has any contacts
    •  mambamamba
    • Greg Davies is playing in Newbury in June but looks like I was too slow to get tickets.

Saw Stephen K Amos a couple of months back who was really good.

They seem to be getting a few bigger names lately around these parts. Even though I'm no fan, they've got Lee Evans and Al Murray doing warm ups over the next couple of months.

Mark Watson any good?
    •  mikemike
    • Yeah saw him in Hull about November time, very good, more like a prolonged chat with himself than standup but really good!

Podge, tell CJ to get in touch with these guys, they are really good at supporting new talent, and even if they can't fit him in Sheffield, he can go to Stocksbridge, Donny etc with them, or could point him to others.
    •  PodgePodge
    • will do, cheers
    •  bad admiralbad admiral
    • i saw cj when he came to londinius...he was very funny but cut hisself short :(
    •  FDFCFDFC
    • mike says:
      tell CJ to get in touch with these guys

That link has pictures of two people I lived with for 18 months as well as the guy who took my room when I moved out.

Consider my mind blown.
    •  BenBen
    • Saw Richard Herring doing his Christ on a Bike tour recently, which was very good. Saw the Hitler Moustache one last year too, as well as Stewart Lee a couple of times.

Personally, I think Stewart Lee is THE BEST :)
    •  mikemike
    • That Herring tour is coming to Barnsley, so I'll make sure I go.
    •  pull-my-plonkerpull-my-plonker
    • I think I'm going to see Rich Herring do his Edinburgh preview this year - the man's good!

Just been to a fucking weird comedy night. Had a woman fake wank whilst guerning over me and kicking my drink over, a man from Bermuda called Brian Tattle hit on my woman and Andre Alexander - the worst stand up I've ever seen. All in all, a weird night!
    •  FDFCFDFC
    • In an interesting twist, the weird, neurotic bullies that I know from my time as a stand-up (one of whom slept with my then girlfriend when she was incapacitated with drink) have started following Groan on Twitter.
    •  Smockboy25Smockboy25
    • pull-my-plonker says:
      I think I'm going to see Rich Herring do his Edinburgh preview this year - the man's good!

Just been to a fucking weird comedy night. Had a woman fake wank whilst guerning over me and kicking my drink over, a man from Bermuda called Brian Tattle hit on my woman and Andre Alexander - the worst stand up I've ever seen. All in all, a weird night!

Worst stand up I've seen (used in the most loose of terms) is Doktor CocacolaMcDonalds at Leeds fest when RATM played - fucking atrocious!
    •  Total Human MonsterTotal Human Monster
    • Ben says:
      Saw Richard Herring doing his Christ on a Bike tour recently, which was very good. Saw the Hitler Moustache one last year too, as well as Stewart Lee a couple of times.

I'm with you wholeheartedly on that! I will be seeing him do his new stuff in December. Gotta go all the way to London because he is doing a three month 'tour' in one venue. Utter bastard!

Edit... talking about Stewart Lee here.
      [Edited by Total Human Monster at 22:25 on 11/08/11]
    •  basstardbasstard
    • Ben says:
      Saw Richard Herring doing his Christ on a Bike tour recently, which was very good. Saw the Hitler Moustache one last year too, as well as Stewart Lee a couple of times.

Me too. I saw the Herring show and loved it. The Stewart Lee '90s Comedian' DVD is great.

Forums - General Chat - Live Comedy Thread