Menu
    •  Tim HolehouseTim Holehouse
    • http://msnbcmedia3.msn.com/j/MSNBC/Sections/Travel%20Section/______EDIT/090622_Hound%20Dog%20in%20the%20recording%20studio.hmedium.jpg

Ollie hard at work in the studio...
    •  OllieOllie
    • Tim Holehouse says:
      http://msnbcmedia3.msn.com/j/MSNBC/Sections/Travel%20Section/______EDIT/090622_Hound%20Dog%20in%20the%20recording%20studio.hmedium.jpg

Ollie hard at work in the studio...

Just add a little more sweat and that's about right!!!
    • In all seriousness... yeah i've enjoyed analogue and now I'm enjoying digital recording but as jack says its the man behind the desk that makes it sound good. This can be both in his skills... Rob Hobson (silent city recordings listen to the forest of stars, tangaroa, timithy c holehouse recordings) is a master at Micing a drum kit. His recording methods are super precise and yeah its digital but still has warm.
      Other places I go John Hannon I like cause he makes me feel super relaxed and he's quick which is ideal for the tim Holehouse stuff.
      John stephen's on the other hand is slow at Micing up a kit but had the mix pretty much in place when recording the tracks. Both are based in nice relaxing areas.
      Blouty is fun to record with its like hanging out and messing about with a mate, but he does an amazing job for the harsher end of recording... give bands a bit of balls... I'm really impressed with his recording of army of flying robots and Flatlands.

I think its a case of getting something and some one you trust and having a great time recording.

I know I'm only gonna try stick to John for one project and Rob for the other. Works for me in current situation and that.
    •  OllieOllie
    • Unfortunately, and I know it sucks to have to compromise on your "art", but cost is going to play no small part in where we go. Some studios, no matter how great, are just too damn expensive when you have things like families, mortgages...etc to pay for. Chris mentioned that Chuckalumba is £200 for an 8 hour day. That's fine if you're planning to record a few tracks in a couple of days on the fly but a lot if you're planning to take your time and do an album...especially as we can get time for nearly half that with compatable results. Plus if we have to travel we may be faced with petrol and accomodation costs. It all mounts up. On top of that, if we're potentially looking to release this ourselves we'll also have the outlay for pressing...etc. It's hard to know where to draw the line and start making compromises...I don't think I can get away without feeding or clothing the kids.
    •  WickedWesticleWickedWesticle
    • Yeah cost is big factor but a 'cheap sounding' recording is exactly what it is. If you can get a good quality recording at a reasonable price then go for it though.

Was just listening to GU Medicine and I reckon the sound of their stuff would suit you. You should try and find out where they recorded.

•  OllieOllie
    • Hmm, might be worth a look.

I guess we did manage to get a pretty damn good sound from a live recording in a £20 and hour studio in Plymouth so maybe that's the place to go again and take more time over things.

I'm listening to Dopethrone on the ipod right now and I have to admit, as much as I love the Wizard, the sound is a bit shit...your album sounds way better dude.
    • Yeah I think their production is generally awful. I think John said they insisted on having everthing in the same room so that could have made mixing a little difficult.

After ours was mixed we did lots of side by side comparisons with other recordings. It's amazing how much production varies. Metallica's black album is BIZZARE.
    •  MazzMazz
    • WickedWesticle says:
      Metallica's black album is BIZZARE.

That's funny. I was listening to my mates copy the other day and I thought it sounded really strange.
    •  OllieOllie
    • WickedWesticle says:
      Yeah I think their production is generally awful. I think John said they insisted on having everthing in the same room so that could have made mixing a little difficult.

After ours was mixed we did lots of side by side comparisons with other recordings. It's amazing how much production varies. Metallica's black album is BIZZARE.

It does sound as if Wizard don't really have a clue...the whole "make it sound massive" thing doesn't necessarily mean you all stand in a room together and play at full volume. The drums sound like yoghurt pots!!!
    •  PodgePodge
    • Bah, too much to read...

Foel is awesome, but way out of my price bracket so i always forget about them.

at some point in the process between you making noise and you listening to noise a computer WILL be used ergo making the whole analogue debate redundant. i know of more than one pressing plant who use a computer controlled lathe to cut vinyl masters.

for the Rachmanite demo we used the guys who we practised with because we were lazy, 3 mic on the kit, 1 on the guitar amp, it was all recorded live and both in the room at the same time as we're crap (me so more than Tom) and couldn't play without taking ques off each other. yet it still sounds pretty good.

I'm not a fan of overdubs, i think you should sound like you do live and i hate the studio. Si thinks differently and loves the studio.
    •  MazzMazz
    • Podge says:

it was all recorded live and both in the room at the same time as we're crap (me so more than Tom) and couldn't play without taking ques off each other.

yeah..that's the Ratz Ass way.
    •  OllieOllie
    • And there Podge has pretty much proven that it doesn't really matter how much you spend as long as you have someone who knows what they're doing. I thought the Rachmanite recording sounded fucking awesome...probably helped in their case that there was only two of them so less mess in the sound but still...food for thought!!!
    • Back in Black was recorded with all the guys in the room at the same time. I think that says enough.

Ollie I think you guys should go for a 'playing at the same time' thing to get the Grifter vibe going. You're tight as hell so that's no problem and most studios will have some screens to help with separation and spill. That should also cut down the overall time and therefore cost of recording.
    •  OllieOllie
    • WickedWesticle says:
      Back in Black was recorded with all the guys in the room at the same time. I think that says enough.

Ollie I think you guys should go for a 'playing at the same time' thing to get the Grifter vibe going. You're tight as hell so that's no problem and most studios will have some screens to help with separation and spill. That should also cut down the overall time and therefore cost of recording.

You might be right...bang through it live then dub a second guitar track and some backing vocals afterwards. The last recording was all live with me going through two amps and that's ok but I'd like to spread the guitars a bit more this time and maybe dub one or two of the solos afterwards as well...just to make it a bit easier on me.
    • Yeah I think that work nicely for you. Give the vibe of playing live. We've done that for the new Tim Holehouse album I played a basic clean rhythm then added a distroted track then solos... sound massive. Some tracks have acoustic on too. That's way more doable digitally I think. Although I did multitrack with John stephens at chuck.
      With the TCH stuff I like using click as I tend to go over board guitar track wise... one track has 32 layers of guitar... sound massive!
    •  GarethGareth
    • Anyone know how much Foel charge?
    •  Rob HimselfRob Himself
    • Anyone know any good/cheap mastering studios? Gonna splash out on mastering for my album as my recording is all free!
    •  narcomannarcoman
    • I'd recommend Brian Lucey at Magic Garden over in the USA. Does it through FTP - had some good results from him.... he'll do layback onto tape as well if so required... got a nice ATR102 - same as me !!

cheers

•  PodgePodge
    • Gareth says:
      Anyone know how much Foel charge?

I think it was 250 a day but that includes living in a cottage and a day lasts as long as you can keep Chris awake for so you could get a lot done
    •  GarethGareth
    • Podge says:
      Gareth says:
      Anyone know how much Foel charge?

I think it was 250 a day but that includes living in a cottage and a day lasts as long as you can keep Chris awake for so you could get a lot done

Not too bad really, just a ball-ache to get there.

Forums - Music Discussion and Promotion - Recording studios