Menu

Forums - Music Discussion and Promotion

The ROTTINGHAM weekender

•  alanalan
    • The anti Hey Hey Hey group on Facebook's now up to about 530 members. Last week it was free (as will this week be) thus was full of chav wankers. And it was 1 in 1 out by about midnight, which is shit in my books. Oh, and they played Beyonce and Rihanna in the main room. Rig and Basement were pretty good apparently though.

I've not been to City on a Saturday night other than for a gig since August, and I don't think I'm gonna be going back in a hurry.
    •  HopkinsHopkins
    • let's be honest, upstairs has been gash for years, it's only worth going up there for a letch anyway
    •  alanalan
    • Hopkins says:
      let's be honest, upstairs has been gash for years, it's only worth going up there for a letch anyway

Nicely put. But I have such a short attention span I like to move from room to room. Now we have the RnB room, the metalcore scene room, and the vomit scented room.
    •  PodgePodge
    • while its well documented that i don't like rock clubs, they do seem to be their own worst enemy.

every one everywhere says about their own club "its the same play list as it was x years ago".

its hardly a surprise they are closing down or changing their regulars.
    •  DonnyDonny
    • alan says:
      and the vomit scented room.

ahahahaha oh dear...

I remember me and my mate used to do 'laps' of rock city starting at the balcony and going onto the main dancefloor, around the outside of the main dancefloor, down to disco 2, then through to the rig and back up to the balcony.

All in the hunt for naughty ladies.
    •  bad admiralbad admiral
    • i'm just going to carry on drinking and i may (and this is a very big may) throw down some of my sickness on "da floor".

fucking doubt it though.
    •  the chapthe chap
    • apologies...
    •  Dan QuaidDan Quaid
    • Does anyone want Spazzareth's slot for this? Gear is sorted now so don't need any of that.

I'm no fan of rock clubs myself. I'd much rather have a pub lock in or find a house party when it comes to chucking out time. And Rock City smells worse than it ever has done SINCE the smoking ban. Most places smell better, but not Rock City.
    •  alanalan
    • The smoke used to cover the smell in City. If I want to drink late I normally just go the Tap or the Turf anyway.
    •  Dan QuaidDan Quaid
    • Aye. It's that smell of sweat and leather I just can't get used to.
    •  the chapthe chap
    • fun.we enjoyed it immense! rig=fun.
    •  MORRELLMORRELL
    • the chap says:
      fun.we enjoyed it immense! rig=fun.

I just remember going arse over tit about five times in there. Great night that one.
    •  alanalan
    • Did Red Stars Parade ever get to play? My frail old body was giving up by about 11.30 so I had to bugger off home.
    •  Tino InsanaTino Insana
    • Teratoid was about as late as we could stay, sorry you didn't get to play man that's a shocker.

Had a great time, played like piss but we didn't fall over. Nice few pints of Rock (cheers Morrell) and some lengthy chinwags later and I was spent.
    •  MORRELLMORRELL
    • Tino Insana says:
      Teratoid was about as late as we could stay, sorry you didn't get to play man that's a shocker.

Had a great time, played like piss but we didn't fall over. Nice few pints of Rock (cheers Morrell) and some lengthy chinwags later and I was spent.

Yeah was nice to meet you fellas.
    •  MagisterMagister
    • This is what happened - We got asked to headline this, but got told there wasn't gonna be a backline change over half way through the day like is the norm at all-dayers, so if we wanted to use our backline we had to bring it for 2pm and let everyone use it all day. So we get there on time at 2pm, load everything in, and then wait to play. We went for a mooch around Notts during the afternoon and came back at about 6pm, only to find that both the promoters had got absolutely pissed and the whole day was running behind. Couple of hours later we decided to crack the whip and get them to sort their all-dayer out ie start cutting set times, quicker changeovers etc but, to be honest, they didn't seem to give a shit, probably coz they were wrecked. They just kept on promising that we'd get to play, despite the fact we were spelling it out for them that if they carried on the way they were that was obviously not going to happen.

One of the last bands start taking the piss and launch into what becomes some 8min epic and we tell the promoters to pull the plug on them so the last 2 bands can play. They said they couldn't do that. In the end it got so late, that all the people who'd paid in to see us started leaving, assuming that we weren't going to play. They assumed right. At 11:50pm (the night was supposed to be tied up at 12) we were given the opportunity to play infront of an empty room, and when we declined that opportunity this dickhead promoter (Ian I think his name was) started acting like we were being out of order. I told him it was his fault not only for fucking up the all-dayer, but also wasting our time and money. He said the all-dayer was nothing to do with him and that it was the other promoter, Dan, who was responsible. Funny that, coz Dan later told us in an online message that it was Ian's all-dayer, not his. Basically these 2 jokers were passing the buck, blaming each other, and denying any responsibility.

They also didn't understand why we were pissed off and thought we should be content with the £50 we got paid. Fucking cheers, morons! They obviously overlooked the £200 cumulative expenditure it cost us that day (part of which was down to the fact that kick drum skin on our kit had been fucked by one of the bands), or that we'd waited for 10hrs to not play, or that our singer had spent £100 in travel to and from London, or that we'd basically supplied them with a full backline for their piece of shit all-dayer for the cost of £50 - if they'd actually hired a backline it would've cost the alot more than that!

So we said we wanted the £200 reembursed, but instead they offered us another gig! Eh?! Another gig that we'd supply the backline for and will obviously cost us more money! So we basically made it clear that we weren't playing for them again and that we want the £200. Now they're ignoring our messages.

So yeah here's the myspace they got in touch from - www.myspace.com/nottsnoise - if you get a message from either Dan or Ian ignore it, they don't know what the fuck they're doing, and it's all at your expense.

(Just for the record, we've played the Old Angel loads in the past and haven't had any trouble until these idiots got involved)
      [Edited by Magister at 23:23 on 23/03/09]
    •  PodgePodge
    • I have to say, while I've met Dan a few times and he seems a decent chap, when it comes to promoting he's not exactly filled me with confidence each time.
    •  DonnyDonny
    • When one of the promotors jumps off a table onto a vocalist at 3 in the afternoon, you can pretty much guess it's going to end in tears.

Forums - Music Discussion and Promotion - The ROTTINGHAM weekender