Menu

Forums - General Chat

Rock Band

•  mikemike
    • Yeah I played it once at Brians and I think thats enough.

I think the point trying to eke its way through here is time could be better spent learning an instrument than widdling away on a plastic paddle in front of a screen (and paying for the privelege!?)

I don't think, even when I get a next-gen console, that I'll get any of these games.
    •  GarethGareth
    • tom.a says:

Big Si says:

For crying out loud... IT'S A GAME, NOT A SIMULATOR.

its also wank at being either.

And it makes my eyes go funny.
    •  PodgePodge
    • time could be better spent not pointless posting in an internet forum
    •  mikemike
    • Podge says:

time could be better spent not pointless posting in an internet forum

Yeah I did think that as I was typing!

Both are superfluous timewasting activities and should be banned.
    •  CareyCarey
    • mike says:

Podge says:

time could be better spent not pointless posting in an internet forum

Yeah I did think that as I was typing!

Both are superfluous timewasting activities and should be banned.

nah, it's good to rest your brain. can't be productive all day.

•  alanalan
    • Oh god, what have I started here?!

Big Si says:

For crying out loud... IT'S A GAME, NOT A SIMULATOR.

My thoughts exactly.

GTA4 is shit. Stop being geeks and go steal some real cars.
    •  mikemike
    • Haha.

Similar thing with Street Fighter IV.

Annoyed with your job? Go and electrocute someone in an organised fight, don't ak me how, just do it.
    •  sabbathfansabbathfan
    • mike says:

I don't see the point, why learn how to press a few buttons when you could learn to make real music?

Yeah exactly. Same for Guitar Hero, which I find harder than playing a real guitar....

Why settle for the illusion when one could have the real thing with a bit of effort?

I sometimes worry about the effects of these games, they could make people think that rock and roll is all about playing guitar hero on your playstation, and not about forming a band and actually writing songs. It's quite a good marketing ploy - get people to buy into the illusion, rather than going for the real thing and interacting with the world.
    •  LaddethLaddeth
    • sabbathfan says:

Why settle for the illusion when one could have the real thing with a bit of effort?

I sometimes worry about the effects of these games, they could make people think that rock and roll is all about playing guitar hero on your playstation, and not about forming a band and actually writing songs. It's quite a good marketing ploy - get people to buy into the illusion, rather than going for the real thing and interacting with the world.

I do both. There is no "settling" involved.
      It's my current location that stops me being in a band, not Guitar Hero.
    •  sabbathfansabbathfan
    • My real concern is for the people just getting into rock music who might think it's all about Guitar Hero and not about, y'know, buying an instrument and having fun with it.

Guitar Hero is all well and good for a game, but I just don't want people growing up thinking that that is all music is about....
    •  Tom PTom P
    • You can't play any riffs from Dopesick on a plaggy guitar with no real frets. Real guitar wins.
    •  RamoRamo
    • quote:

I think the key words there are 'a bit of effort', the whole point in a lot of games is it makes things accessible...have you ever played Harvest Moon? who would think a farming simulator would be so addictive?

I don't think any real music fans will make the assumption that rock n' roll is embodied in guitar hero, perhaps a few naive metro folk who would never have listened to anything harder than DJ Scooter anyway. If anything it might convince a few people to go out there and get a proper wooden guitar.
    •  HopkinsHopkins
    • I thought Guitar Hero was just a colour matching game and bears little resemblance to the rhythm of playing a real guitar?
    •  sabbathfansabbathfan
    • Ramo says:
      If anything it might convince a few people to go out there and get a proper wooden guitar.

Hopefully that will be an effect of the game too.

I just get worried about these things [about a lot of things, actually....]
    •  PodgePodge
    • for fucks sake.

like si sad, its not a simulator, why play colin mcrae rally when you could go and book a day at rally school, why play pro evolution soccer when you could pop down the park. just cos it has rock in the title you all throw a spazz.

baffoons
    •  mambamamba
    • I'm with Podge and Si on this one.

It's a game and a fun one at that.
    •  Tom PTom P
    • Of course it's a game but fun is objective. I personally would rather play a real guitar. GH is boring and rhythm action games on the whole are my kryptonite.
    •  alanalan
    • Did you ever play Sim Life? That was nothing compared with being a real deity.
    •  LaddethLaddeth
    • Podge says:

for fucks sake.

like si sad, its not a simulator, why play colin mcrae rally when you could go and book a day at rally school, why play pro evolution soccer when you could pop down the park. just cos it has rock in the title you all throw a spazz.

baffoons

Win
    •  Rob HimselfRob Himself
    • Didn't you know? Podge always wins. Good ol' sensible Podge.

Forums - General Chat - Rock Band