Menu

Forums - General Chat

food thread

•  PetePete
    • My work canteen has finally brought back the Veggie All Day Breakfast sandwich into its pre-packed range. My life has improved dramatically as a result. Not only that, it now has veggie bacon in it, as well as the veggie sausage, egg and tomato from before.

I am so happy about this I felt I needed to tell someone - my carniverous colleagues weren't bothered so I've posted it here.

Tonight I'm making apple crumble using the last of the apples from the tree in my garden.
      [Edited by Pete at 12:36 on 30/10/12]
    •  bad admiralbad admiral
    • i think the christmas dinner sandwihes have started hitting the supermarkets...:cool:
    •  mikemike
    • I just made poached eggs on toast and one was a double yolker, my birthday no longer sucks.
    •  PetePete
    • I can't poach eggs :(

Just had curry delivered - vegetable jalfrezi. Jalfrezi's a lottery - sometimes mild, sometimes incredibly hot. Thanfully more the latter this time, with loads of whole green chilis in it.
    •  GarethGareth
    • I bought a wok and cleaver and now think I'm Ken Hom. I'm surprised at how easy and tasty Chinese food is to cook.
    •  mikemike
    • Pete says:
      I can't poach eggs :(

Mate, it's easy.

Frying pan, pour boiling water in, crack egg as close as you can to the water and almost place it in the water without burning your fingers, use a slotted spoon after a few seconds so it doesn't stick, cut off the extraneous white that might be spreading and chuck in the bin while you cook and you get them perfect every time. Because the tops of the eggs are outside of the water you can keep an eye on how they look. If you want the yolks to cook a little, just splash the tops with the surrounding water.

It's my fave meal, when Linda's on nights that's all I eat.
    •  bad admiralbad admiral
    • i poach eggs in cellophane with a little lea and perrins in it. well easy and you don't lose any of the white.
    •  mambamamba
    • If we're talking poached egg methods...

I stick the egg (still in the shell) in the simmering water for about 20 seconds. This helps to hold it together a bit when you crack it into the water. If you want to play safe, I sometimes crack the egg into a mug before pouring it into the water.

edit: splash of white wine vinegar in the water too.
      [Edited by mamba at 13:11 on 31/10/12]
    •  bosskeloidbosskeloid
    • Tonight i am cooking a whole chicken, shredding it 'Pulled Pork' style... smothering it in nando's sauce before leaving it in the oven for a little longer.... I AM EXCITED!!!!
    •  HopkinsHopkins
    • bosskeloid says:
      Tonight i am cooking a whole chicken, shredding it 'Pulled Pork' style... smothering it in nando's sauce before leaving it in the oven for a little longer.... I AM EXCITED!!!!

i did this tonight, with pork shoulder, and my own mexican sauce

didn't have it with anything else, just sat there with a roasting tin full of meat, and a fork
    •  bosskeloidbosskeloid
    • Hopkins says:
      bosskeloid says:
      Tonight i am cooking a whole chicken, shredding it 'Pulled Pork' style... smothering it in nando's sauce before leaving it in the oven for a little longer.... I AM EXCITED!!!!

i did this tonight, with pork shoulder, and my own mexican sauce

didn't have it with anything else, just sat there with a roasting tin full of meat, and a fork

FORK AND MEAT IS ALL YOU NEED!!!!!
    •  PetePete
    • Hot roast sarnie for tea... Big baps, quorn family roast sliced and shredded, sage and apple stuffing, gravy. Nice.
    •  mikemike
    • Pete says:
      Big baps

OOH PARDON.

I had hot dogs, with value ketchup, then some chocolate, because I'm 12.
    •  CareyCarey
    • I had amazing foraged wild garlic and nettle soup for tea at the weekend.
    •  PetePete
    • I'm becoming an expert in making baby food. Mainly as you can just cook any veg, lentils, mini-pasta together and then blend it. Desserts are even easier, cooked apple plus berry of some sort being my speciality.
    •  GarethGareth
    • My homemade sauerkraut has now hit the 2 week mark and the results are mixed. The big jar wasn't going amazingly so it's been pasteurized just now and will be put into jars and refrigerated. I was hoping to avoid pasteurizing it as it kills the good bacteria but it's better than just chucking it in the bin. The bay leaf I added was also a bit overpowering.

The small jar looks great and will continue to ferment nicely (minus the bay leaf and hopefully with some mustard seeds if I can find them) in a cool dry corner until I'm brave enough to eat essentially month old cabbage from a jar.
    •  mikemike
    • Picklin with the Slow Blade yo. My dad makes a fuckton of pickled onions every year, might nick some when I get the chance.

We had an awesome meal out this week, I had Tuscan Beef which was basically a big beef stew with spices, well good. Linda had a seafood rissotto with clams and prawns, pretty sweet.
    •  GarethGareth
    • Well the pasteurized stuff is a little bland, if perfectly eatable with a little mustard mixed in. I had it with pork steaks for the full German effect. I wanted to try it when I had an evening free in case it reacted badly with my stomach problems and I needed quick access to a toilet.
    •  mikemike
    • Save it for the 'Summer Bowels' thread.
    •  GarethGareth
    • Saving it for tour mate.

Forums - General Chat - food thread