Menu

Forums - General Chat

Now reading

•  OllieOllie
    • bad admiral says:
      Ollie says:
      bad admiral says:
      Ollie says:
      I've just finished The Gallow's Curse by Karen Maitland...an epic medieval thriller with occult overtones. Definitely one for Mazz.

I'm now on the first of my H.P Lovecraft anthologies.

ooh...saw that going cheap in a charity shoppe. worth a punt?

Which one Karen Maitland or HP Lovecraft? Either is worth a look but I'm fucking nuts about the Karen Maitland stuff...can't wait for her to get off her arse and write a new one!!!

cool. is the nastiness gratuitous. i hope it is.

Depends, where do you stand on medieval child buggery?
    •  bad admiralbad admiral
    • Ollie says:
      bad admiral says:
      Ollie says:
      bad admiral says:
      Ollie says:
      I've just finished The Gallow's Curse by Karen Maitland...an epic medieval thriller with occult overtones. Definitely one for Mazz.

I'm now on the first of my H.P Lovecraft anthologies.

ooh...saw that going cheap in a charity shoppe. worth a punt?

Which one Karen Maitland or HP Lovecraft? Either is worth a look but I'm fucking nuts about the Karen Maitland stuff...can't wait for her to get off her arse and write a new one!!!

cool. is the nastiness gratuitous. i hope it is.

Depends, where do you stand on medieval child buggery?

well, it never trod on me...this has now been snapped up from charidee shoppe so gonna have to dig it out from elsewhere.
    •  GarethGareth
    • I have been at home with no internet and little spending money so have read:-

The last 20% or so of Game of Thrones 2: Throne Harder
      Iain M Banks - State of the Art
      J G Ballard - The Drowned World
      And have made a dent in Cryptonomicon by Neale Stephenson.
    •  HopkinsHopkins
    • i started reading the wheel of time series
      enjoyed book 1
      12 more to go
    •  Big SiBig Si
    • I decided to read the Bourne Identity. He's not quite as much of a ninja as in the film.
    •  basstardbasstard
    • Gareth says:

I love that book. Ballard is great.
    •  GarethGareth
    • basstard says:
      Gareth says:

Any recommends for my next Ballard read? Read Kingdom Come which wasn't great but I've heard good things about High Rise and Crystal World.
    •  basstardbasstard
    • Gareth says:
      basstard says:
      Gareth says:

Any recommends for my next Ballard read? Read Kingdom Come which wasn't great but I've heard good things about High Rise and Crystal World.

I haven't read Kingdom Come. High Rise and Crystal World are pretty good, I'd also give The Unlimited Dream Company a go. Cocaine Nights and Super Cannes are probably the easiest reads (and both good). Some of his stuff is pretty freaky (The Atrocity Exhibition being probably the most notorious) but I enjoy a challenge.
    •  pull-my-plonkerpull-my-plonker
    • IKEA Catalogue 2012. THE book for Homeowners...
    •  PetePete
    • pull-my-plonker says:
      IKEA Catalogue 2012. THE book for Homeowners...

Me too, sadly.

Also, Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion.
    •  MazzMazz
    • http://www.bathspa.ac.uk/resources/photos-boxout/2011-080-pure-book-cover.jpg
    •  mikemike
    • I just finished 'Join Me' only about five years too late.
    •  GarethGareth
    • David Byrne - How Music Works. About 1/4 through, pretty interesting musings and facts but not much insight into how he approaches composition. A good read and a bargain on Kindle.
    •  HopkinsHopkins
    • Hopkins says:
      i started reading the wheel of time series
      enjoyed book 1
      12 more to go

2 months later. and i'm just starting book 3
    •  MazzMazz
    • Just finished DOMINION by C J Sansom..It's kind of like FATHERLAND.

It's a work of fiction but it seems to have upset some people.

"Sansom's book 'Dominion' was criticised for its portrayal of Enoch Powell as a Nazi collaborator. Journalist Peter Hitchens called it a "babyish, historically illiterate slur" and called on Sansom to apologise to Powell's family."
    •  mikemike
    • I'm reading a book on bootlegging, first bootlegs were Bob Dylan basement tapes where he was doing public access songs, how strange. Interesting though.

There's a whole Beatles album that Phil Spector mastered into oblivion and the bootleg is even sanctioned by the Beatles as being better, that's cool.
    •  Wez TDJWez TDJ
    • Freaky Deaky - Elmore Leonard
    •  PetePete
    • I spent the latter half of this week in Bowness in the Lake District, and couldn't get internet on my phone, so I went to a book shop and bought Frank Herbert's Dune, which I've never read. Amazing how little I've read since I got a half decent phone.
    •  mikemike
    • Same here, waste so much time on that thing.
    •  GarethGareth
    • Some bullshit book on coaching for work. After that, I have the most recent Iain M Banks on the Kindle once I've finished Concrete Island.

Forums - General Chat - Now reading