Menu

Forums - General Chat

Unusual thread... keeping fit.

•  mikemike
    • How do you keep fit? I'm always suprised at the various things people do to keep fit, as someone who has very negative views on sport I've never kept fit, at all, so it's always interesting to see what people do.

I went swimming three times a week from June to December last year but saw very little difference so stopped, but I'm struggling to get back into anything at the moment.

So, what do you do to huff and puff the bellies away?
    •  PetePete
    • Walk to and from work everyday. And drink lots of beer - that keeps the hunger away :)

I used to play 5 a side twice a week but gave it up, I really want to get back into it but the 9 o clock kick offs mess with my early bed times...
    •  mikemike
    • Shame I live a good 20 miles from work, would be great if I could walk for sure.
    •  MazzMazz
    • Walk a couple of miles from the train station to my place of work every day.

I'm not that fit as i'm a smoker...but i'm LITHE.
    •  MazzMazz
    • ..oh yeah....eat lots of veg..and less meat..that should bring thy belly down.

Unless you do that already of course.
    •  PodgePodge
    • Anything I do to keep fit usually results in eating more cake and drinking more beer once I'm done.

I do however walk loads, often three miles into town and back instead of driving or catching the tram. We're also walking to eccy road for tea tonight which is over four mile with Crookes mountain in the way. That's 10 mile without even thinking about it on a normal day.
    •  mikemike
    • Yeah, think my time is taken up with work and the commute, set off at 8ish, get back at 6ish, but can't just leave the car at home as I go off all over the place for the job too, probably need to face the fact I need to do something intense rather than gradual like walking as there's no time for decent lengths.

I eat nothing but fruit and veg at work and have just switched to soy milk for everything and I'd say I eat meat about 3/4 times a week, its just inactivity that's probably stopping me being fit.

I envy people who do no activity, eat what they want and just get by.
    •  CareyCarey
    • Swimming only really tones unless you do a huge quantity.

Short bursts of fast running are good for cardio and fat burning, cycling, exercise bike etc the same. Basically, the goal is to get your heart rate up as often as possible, especially if your work routine doesn't allow you to be generally active.
    •  HopkinsHopkins
    • cycle to work and back
      that's 50 miles a week

try and play 5-a-side footy once or twice a week too

don't eat much meat. the wife is an ex-veggie

not drinking at the moment for lent. don't really drink that much anyway since we had ryan

•  GarethGareth
    • Eat well most days and jog 5k+ 2-3 times per week. This means I can keep slim and enjoy a Friday night take away/drinkies.
    •  pull-my-plonkerpull-my-plonker
    • I walk an hour every day before getting to work (30mins dog walk and then walk to the tube station and through all the damn corridors to get out) and go running twice a week for 30mins each.

Taking stairs rather than lifts really helps. I also make an effort to get up an walk about for a couple of mins every hour of a day in the office.

Just figure out a time when you can exercise and stick to it. I think gyms are over-rated personally but they do get some people motivated.

Are you into any sports? Tennis/footy/yoga etc?
    •  PodgePodge
    • Yoga is not a sport
    •  mikemike
    • I can't stand sport, at all, hate the way it makes people you normally get along with absolute douches. I'm not competitive at all, so I've never really cared about it and other people have generally put me off it over the years.
    •  GarethGareth
    • That's why I run, on my own.
    •  mikemike
    • Gareth says:
      That's why I run, on my own.

I'm probably going to have to do the same thing.
    •  PodgePodge
    • I cycle a lot on my own. Gives me chance to clear my head and I can go as fast or as slow as I like. But I also like the social side of hanging out with my mates when solo rides just don't cut it, usually when it's cold and raining
    •  sabbathfansabbathfan
    • Good thread. I want to lose about 3 stone so I'm thinking of doing swimming a lot, though I can walk between the station and my workplace [it's a mile] and back again.

Best exercise ever is hillwalking but that is quite stressful on the joints etc. If you still lived in Sheffield then I'd say get out to the Peak District at every opportunity.
    •  bad admiralbad admiral
    • i'm studying to be a personal trainer at the moment although the last three weeks i've turned into vince neil in a bad way.

this is what i do which i don't think is bad.

3 - 4 gym sessions per week consisting:
      40 mins of interval training on cross trainer
      3 circuits of 6 - 8 different kettlebell exercises
      8 - 12 rounds (3 mins on 1 off) boxing
      20 - 30 chin ups
      30 dips
      30 sit ups
      stretching for 5 - 10 minutes
      5 min cross trainer for warm up and cool down
      takes about 2 hours then i hang with men in the sauna.

generally i'm pretty mobile for work as i'm a floating support worker so i'm walking/skating about 8 - 10 miles per day. i also chuck a rugby ball or frisbee about in the park and try and watch what i eat.

i lost 7kg in about a 6 weeks doing this so not too bad.
    •  basstardbasstard
    • 1. Don't eat crap
      2. Walk whenever possible (quickly)
      3. Always take the stairs
      4. Avoid lie-ins (easy if you've got kids)
    •  MazzMazz
    • "stretching for 5 - 10 minutes"

It's all about this.

Forums - General Chat - Unusual thread... keeping fit.