Menu

Forums - Music Discussion and Promotion

The promoter from Vintage Rock Bar in Doncaster...

•  Catacomb RecordsCatacomb Records
    • ...completely fucked us over Tuesday night... apparently the venue ain't heard from him for months and they've cancelled all July gigs (even though the guy we spoke to was busy putting up July show posters... hmmmm??).

The promoter's name is Chris from "man in the know" or "mantheknow" promotions

They didn't let us know so we were stranded in Doncaster!! Despite trying a few pubs we couldn't get a gig!! Even more gutting cos some friends surprised us by turning up from Brum and paying £50 for rooms and train fares!!

So, if you're thinking of playing there.. forget it!! I know Goblin are on their tour!!

So we randomly went driving and visited a castle, got pissed in a very respectable country pub, went on the search for dogging and watched Ted Bundy... a top night nonetheless!!

:D
    •  Rob HimselfRob Himself
    • I think any one of us who has ever been in a band has had promoters dick them over. I've met some absolutely sterling folk, but there's definitely a minority of utter cunts.
    •  Tino InsanaTino Insana
    • Very weird. I was just about to start looking for gigs in Donny, they do have a fair amount of ddom and sludge going on there, so it's an untapped market for us. Shit that this has come up though, shame. Glad you had a fun night anyways!

Oh, and if Dave was wondering who he got a text off at about 2am after Monday night, it was me. Got happy drunk and had my phone on me, bad combo, haha! Forgot to say who it was from too. Ne'ermind
    •  CareyCarey
    • that's awful.

is he the same guy that's supposed to be doing the goblin show, or is it just the same venue?
    •  slomoslomo
    • Whats the contact info - name and shame!!!!!!!!!!!!
    •  ChrisCChrisC
    • Man, have heard some stuff about VBR being a bit dodgy at times but i think lots of different guys put things on, its a shame cos we hardly get anything decent passing through donny as it is!

Tino not sure about a fair amount of sludge and doom, not seen any myself but you guys should definatly come play..

just so people know i am not the chris mentioned above :-)

which band was playing Aluna?
    •  Tom PTom P
    • ChrisC says:

Tino not sure about a fair amount of sludge and doom, not seen any myself but you guys should definatly come play..

Aye, was thinking this myself... Doncaster doesn't have much of a scene for any live music let alone sludge. We'd play there though, why not?
    •  ChrisCChrisC
    • Theres tons of gigs going on at the moment but alot of the local bands are not very heavy lots of indie and lofi and pop rock. Although i did notice they are having a metal night at the VBR every thursday now so might be picking up.

The only doom band i can think of are So Mortal Be who aint to bad.

Also not sure how many people are into that type of stuff anyway, was a bit embarrassed when flatlands played the other week and half the room cleared out!
    • I'm pretty we'd top Flatlands for room clearage. Some of the gigs we've played have been horrendous for the crowd being shocked and confused as to what we're doing. It's irritating, but sometimes can be pretty damn amusing. Can't imagine what reaction a band like Gruel or Atavist would get playing there, or somewhere like Under the Boardwalk in Sheff.
    •  mikemike
    • Yeah we're used to it, but that crowd were obviously one that turn up every week to see whatever bands are on so we didn't mind, still enough people to keep bothering!
    • Tom P says:

ChrisC says:

Aye, was thinking this myself... Doncaster doesn't have much of a scene for any live music let alone sludge. We'd play there though, why not?

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t145/doomsteve/Iron%20Void/August_small.jpg

This led me to believe otherwise, but perhaps this wasn't too well attended either.

Aren't Misericorde partly from Donx as well?
    •  ChrisCChrisC
    • They could be, looks interesting anyway will check it out.

To be honest had lost the will to see Donx bands due to them all being not so great

Forums - Music Discussion and Promotion - The promoter from Vintage Rock Bar in Doncaster...