Menu

Forums - General Chat

2008 Gloom and Doom Poll

•  BeermanBeerman
    • You may have seen this around. If you want a list of albums to check out you could do worse.

If you want to add your recommendation do so in this thread, or not.

Any album you'd score 8/10 or more makes the list. If you think it's gloom... or doom, then it is, and there's a thread of short G&D reviews if you want to check them out on the G&D site, or not.

It's only been running a month, but here's the list so far... updated 13 July 2008

http://img295.imageshack.us/img295/8910/doompoll2008dq3.jpg

•  PodgePodge
    • 5ive, doom and gloom?
    •  slack mammothslack mammoth
    • The Witchsorrow tape, Moss's new one, The Gates Of Slumber's new one and the forthcoming Lamp Of Thoth.
    •  PodgePodge
    • cursed, doom and gloom?
    •  BeermanBeerman
    • I'll grant you Cursed is controversial, but 5ive? I thought everyone recognised the gloom in Neurosis, Isis, Pelican and 5ive these days.

As for cursed, I confess, I voted that one. The devil made me do it, but then again, I think Carcass are doom.

The (very) short review...

Cursed 'III: Architects of Troubled Sleep', 2008. Bloody Hell. Grind Death Metal screamed in your face. Aborted on speed. Straight Jackets compulsory.

It depends what you call doom. I'm not talking about a style of playing, that just dishes the doom, I'm talking about what's on the plate.

•  alanalan
    • Genghis Tron are on there? That album puts a huge grin on my face every time. :D
    •  Tim HolehouseTim Holehouse
    • why did I not qualify for that list... ha ha!

Forest of stars... awesome band (ok I'm bias Rick and Katie have/are going to contributed to my music) but yes great band.
    •  PodgePodge
    • Torche, doom and gloom, its bloody pop music by stoner fans. brilliant pop music but pop music all the same

the header of that poll needs adjusting. a recommended listening of 2008 would be much better, and without the vote thing. that's just pointless
    •  PodgePodge
    • i'm listening to Torche and Jucifer, i'm happy, its just a poor title for a one vote poll
    •  BeermanBeerman
    • Like I said If you think it's doom (or gloom), then that's good enough for me.

And you can't blame the Torche one on me. I liked the 1st album but was disappointed with this one. Found it a bit dull and a little too poppy for my tastes.

It doesn't matter what you call the list, someone will always say "that shouldn't be on it", or someone will get all upset if you don't put their recommendation on because you're acting like some power-crazed judge on what is and isn't doom, gloom or whatever. The best approach is to trust your fellow gloomsters, doomsters stoners and stoomsters and leave it to them. Besides Stoner rock is only the other side of the same Coin of Doom.

If anyone want to read my el-crappo short summaries of any of the albums on the list you can here -> www.borninblood.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=5855

...or not.
    •  PodgePodge
    • my point is that if you are going to label it, do it with some accuracy.

5ive aren't gloomy at all, they are quite upbeat, cursed are clearly a hardcore band and Torch is pop, Davana is kinda retro, Hermano is straight out stoner...

to lump it all in under one title and a title that's representative of the more harsh end of things is misleading. anyone looking at thread titles etc who's a fu manchu fan would probably just skip over it and maybe miss some important stuff.
    •  BeermanBeerman
    • Podge, I understand your point, I just don't agree with it. As it says under the Ninehertz banner, it's stoner//doom//sludge//whatever. The emphasis is surely on the "whatever". Metal has gone mad with classification. It's crazy.

I hear doom in Cursed, I don't care if they play in a certain style. I don't care that someone thinks they are hardcore when I think they are Sludge Grind. I don't care if someone can't hear the gloom in Neurosis or 5ive, or the 70s downer rock in Hermano. My point is I can. My point is that it is "labeled" accurately for me and for others who have voted... which aren't that many yet, so hows about some nominations?

As for misleading people, there are written descriptions for all my recommendations and I started to add some descriptors next to the band/album just to make sure, plus there's no excuse for not checking an album out first before buying it when it's so easy in this day.
    •  BeermanBeerman
    • Tim, your Naked Shit is awesome!

Perhaps I should re-phrase that
    •  CareyCarey
    • i agree that classifications can get well out of hand and cause ridiculous arguments...

having said that, i'll chip in with my opinion anyway!

"gloom" seems very misleading to me as it seems to imply a certain mood rather than a classification. listening to doom and sludge does, as podge said, make me feel happy, regardless of the speed, subject matter etc, because it's music i like. i wouldn't like people to dismiss certain bands because they seemed to have a "depressing" tag.

•  PodgePodge
    • Beerman says:
      stoner//doom//sludge//whatever. The emphasis is surely on the "whatever".

as the person who came up with that line, i'd like to point out that there is no emphasis. other wise we might as well just not have the other three tags.

as Carey agrees the Gloom bit is misleading and a lot of the stuff on there is clearly not doom.
    •  Kev Hit DrumKev Hit Drum
    • I feel I should contribute something here. So here we go.

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff160/kevsibley/toomuchdoom.jpg

•  DonnyDonny
    • We need some Morrissey on there. He's pretty gloomy and gets my vote.
    •  Kev Hit DrumKev Hit Drum
    • Radiohead are a bunch of c*nts. Again, I felt like I should say something.

Forums - General Chat - 2008 Gloom and Doom Poll