Menu

Forums - General Chat

Seriosuly scary music?

•  mikemike
    • Stuff that makes you literally jump out your skin or just sounds plain WRONG? Not like gorey lyrics or anything, I think that just ends up being funny.

I'd have to name these-

Scott Walker- The Escape from "The Drift", it suddenly explodes near the end with a Donald Duck voice over manic strings, makes me jump every time.

Lou Reed- Children, now this one I don't know if its true, but apparently the producer wanted a real sense of horror, so told his kids their mum had died, locked them in a cupboard and then recorded them crying, the recording is over part of the song, two kids screaming "MUMMY" its fucking horrible.

Today Is The Day- Sadness Will Prevail, the whole album has this horrid sense to it, I'm sure we've all talked about it before, but the constant treble, samples and lyrics just get on top of you.

Army of Flying Robots- Pedestal. Just for the chilling sample of Charlton Heston saying "I have just five words for you, from my cold dead hands!" before it rips back in, amazing.
    •  sabbathfansabbathfan
    • Lyrically, I still can't read the lyrics to Manic Street Preacher's 4st 7lbs without getting goosebumps, and not in a good way.

Stuff that sounds odd, eerie - Black Sabbath - Sabotage is a creepy record. When The Writ starts, the low guitar/bass line [can't tell which] is noodling away, and then: "THE WAY I FEEL IS THE WAY I AM...." the whole record is very dark, in a cocaine fuelled paranoia and personal anger kind of way [they'd discovered at the time that their management had been fleecing them for years, and they had a long legal battle].

Also worth a listen are the 1970 demos of Black Sabbath and War Pigs that can be found on The Ozzman Cometh best of. Ridiculously dark even now - in 1970 this stuff must have come across as absolutely unreal.

•  bluseychrisbluseychris
    • mike says:
      or just sounds plain WRONG?

Power Of Love by Frankie Goes To Holywood. I find that song horrific. Worse than Wind Beneath My Wings.
    •  mikemike
    • Haha!
    •  AlecAlec
    • the venetian snares album whos name escapes me, it begins with the word 'rossz' though

creepy hitchcock esque string sections with breakbeats, grimm!
    •  PodgePodge
    • Lightning Bolt - wonderful rainbow

not scary but you wouldn't want to listen to it a little bit too loud on headphones on the way to work
    •  mikemike
    • Alec, thats "Rossz Csillag Allat Született" and yeah its dark and incredible, but by no means his most caustic work! Its quite restrained for him! The reworking of "Gloomy Sunday" is the best track though, seriously melancholy.

Lightning Bolt got about 5 minutes in the flatlands van stereo once til we realised its the most annoying music in the world.
    •  rustyspoonrustyspoon
    • Deadwoods' 8 19 album is a bit eery.
    •  Catacomb RecordsCatacomb Records
    • sabbathfan says:

Lyrically, I still can't read the lyrics to Manic Street Preacher's 4st 7lbs without getting goosebumps, and not in a good way.

Yeah the whole Holy Bible album makes me feel wrong (including the artwork) especially the lyric "they scrape sticks along your walls, harvest your ovaries dead mothers crawl" (I think that's it anyway...), still love it though!!!
    •  Catacomb RecordsCatacomb Records
    • Catacomb Records says:

sabbathfan says:

Lyrically, I still can't read the lyrics to Manic Street Preacher's 4st 7lbs without getting goosebumps, and not in a good way.

Yeah the whole Holy Bible album makes me feel wrong (including the artwork) especially the lyric "they scrape sticks along your walls, harvest your ovaries dead mothers crawl" (I think that's it anyway...), still love it though!!!

Now I've got that song in my head I've realised that those lyrics are off "Small black flowers that grow in the sky" from "Everything Must Go" - ... duh !! Still love it!!
    •  drewmillwarddrewmillward
    • Practically anything by Swans, but a particular high point would be 'Children of God'.
      Scott Walker 'The Drift' is definately one of the most troubling albums i've ever heard.
    •  LaddethLaddeth
    • Neurosis and Jarboe - Within
      "If God wants to take me he will.......he's coming"
      Ok! Just stop whispering weird things at me! :blush:
    •  mikemike
    • Ah yeah, even worse, the song where she sings about her dad dying-

quote:

His Last Words.

When you're 'high'
      If you could see what I see
      In your unfocused empty child-like eyes
      You'd see my father's blue stare
      And the horror
      Of the loss of language of an educated man
      He recited poems and Shakespeare,
      Knew the name of every tree in Latin Memory
      The unjust cruel sentencing of bewilderment
      And the dying of the brain.

When you're 'high'
      What do you see

His last words to me from surgery
      His last words:

"Burning burning"
      "Burning burning"
      "Burning burning"

I'm in the flame

"Burning burning"

Its a horrible delivery as well, she sounds really upset.
    •  PodgePodge
    • that second guy we saw last night was kinda spooky
    •  Th@ GuyTh@ Guy
    • agreed on the holy bible subject........ that album is dark and made me really appreciate those welsh now middle of the road wankers.

mike pattons vocals on when good dogs do bad things are just unbelievable, when he does that high pitch style screeching after the "guess its time to pay the bill, but you know i never will, im hungry still" part actually made me think that he was repeatedly jumping on a newborn kitten.

and finally Khanate - Things Viral.... i stupidly keep forgetting to take this off my "off for a quick kip" playlist... and its really not a good idea... as soon as any of the tracks off that album come on i know im not sleeping for a good half hour after its finished.... So incredibly paranoid and afraid
    •  EggyEggy
    • Neurosis & Jarboe is quite a scary album, it's not often i feel like listening to it, her vocals being the main reason. I can find ASVA quite scary too.

Therapy?'s 'diane' is one of the scariest/saddest songs i'd heard for ages - the slow start, the violin and the lyrics, kinda suprised when they released it as a single but they changed it to make it radio friendly which ruined it somewhat.

Can't recall anything just yet that proper freaks me out though.
    •  Rob HimselfRob Himself
    • A Kate Bush track my girlfriend played me yesterday - dunno the title - it's the one on Hounds Of Love with all the 'Wake up's at the start. Mad.
    •  EggyEggy
    • I can't stand kate bush's voice.
    •  EggyEggy
    • asva's fortune is the track that is most scary - mainly the slowness and the vocals again, like the build up to the screams at the end. Ain't a clue what the lyrics are mind. no goosebumps again though

edit: and the last track - 'by the well of living and seeing'

there's a part of my that wants to add Naked Shit to this thread.
    •  mikemike
    • Th@ Guy says:

and finally Khanate - Things Viral.... i stupidly keep forgetting to take this off my "off for a quick kip" playlist... and its really not a good idea... as soon as any of the tracks off that album come on i know im not sleeping for a good half hour after its finished.... So incredibly paranoid and afraid

The first album is genuinely scary, I know Slomo once told me he couldn't deal with it and turned it off.

Good call on "Diane" as well Eggy, pisses all over the Husker Du version as well.

Forums - General Chat - Seriosuly scary music?