Menu

Forums - Reviews and Articles

Doom Britannica

•  mikemike
    • Add your comments here!
    •  CareyCarey
    • Missed that Terrorizer poll. Crazy. Also, Ramesses yay!
    •  HopkinsHopkins
    • *applauds*

superb article, and thanks for the mentions
    •  sabbathfansabbathfan
    • Brilliant article, thanks Pete. Must say I've not been going to as many doom gigs over the recent years and had no idea the scene had such a fresh crop - I thought the peak had been a decade ago. Will get myself to some gigs ASAP, starting with Mothertrucker on Saturday [along with some other bands].
    •  mikemike
    • The new wave has passed me by slightly, but I may well give some of it a listen. Still can't fathom some of the bigger bands these days though.
    •  GrymGrym
    • Cool article Pete. Namecheck in the opening list much appreciated and most unexpected. Cheers.
    •  tom o'brientom o'brien
    • Nice article. It's amazing what the scene is these days compared to what it was. I feel a big mention is due to redrighthand. Early on their first line up was churning out some oppressive sludge when no one else was and people just didn't know what it was. Also I don't remember the salford sludge alliance but I did start the northern sludge alliance in the earlyish 00's (charger, redrighthand, marzuaan, tear gas and plate glass)
    •  mikemike
    • Red Right Hand didn't play enough shows, but they were fantastic. Most reluctant stars ever too.
    •  tom o'brientom o'brien
    • Mike, the initial line up with the keyboard/guitar effects thingy played a fair few gigs but very few people were interested. Sadly the later just guitar, bass, drums & vocals line up played less with more interest. Which was probably calculated.
    •  mikemike
    • Shame, think I saw them three times. Once with Sunn0))) at the Bassment in Leeds, once where Paul gashed his head open in front of around 10 people in Sheffield and the calamitous final show where the guitarist walked off, Peet was pissed and picking fights and Paul fell on his (borrowed) bass and snapped it in half.
    •  pull-my-plonkerpull-my-plonker
    • Pete! That article was awesome!! Nice one dude, such a good read and so positive too!
    •  PetePete
    • Cheers Pete, and thanks for all the positive responses above too.
    •  PodgePodge
    • RRH were awesome but I think part of their success was their lack of success.

I really struggle to get into a lot of these newer bands, I suspect there is nothing wrong with them & it's just my musical taste has moved on but I'm yet to find anyone who I've wanted to hear more than once
      [Edited by Podge at 16:52 on 08/12/13]
    •  Matt_tgpgMatt_tgpg
    • Red Right Hand were immense, anyone who doesn't own the album needs to rectify that right now! I have great memories of that tight knit little scene in the early 2000s and I remember the 'Northern Sludge Alliance' well!

I think I was at all the same shows you guys were; that Sunn gig at the Basement was something else! Also, that final RRH show, I think Nath and I were trying to calm very frayed nerves after the show to avoid more confrontations occurring between the members of said band!

Bizzarely, I just today uploaded the entire Tear Gas and Plate Glass back catalogue onto Bandcamp for free streaming and 'pay whatever you like (including nothing)' download. It's been odd hearing it all again, as the first S/T demo came out 12 years ago! Crazy to think so much time has passed.

In another odd bit of coincidence, I've just recorded an EP with my current band Mononoke at Skyhammer. I hadn't even made the connection between Chris and Agents of the Morai, and it all clicked into place when we met again at the studio. I think his words were something to the effect of 'I used to play in a shit sludge band'... Ha... But we had fun reminiscing about that scene.

If anyone wants to give the old Tear Gas stuff a spin, it can be found here.

TGPG Bandcamp
      [Edited by Matt_tgpg at 19:34 on 22/12/13]
    •  mikemike
    • My copy of the demo perished in a crap house I lived in for about 6 months due to damp. Still rate it!
    •  Matt_tgpgMatt_tgpg
    • That was exactly my thinking Mike, even some of my copies have seen better days... I figured I best get it online before I do something stupid like not having a copy of it myself anymore!
    •  mikemike
    • We're talking about doing that for the Flatlands stuff.

There's a demo, a 12", an album, 2 EPs and maybe some live recordings.
    •  Matt_tgpgMatt_tgpg
    • Do it man, better that it's out there so others can enjoy it.

Forums - Reviews and Articles - Doom Britannica